Ectoplasm

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
I am suprised that we don't have a specific thread for it although see this IHTM:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ectoplasm.15076/

and as it came up at UnCon (yes I will stop going on about it eventually) in Marina Warner's talk:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/uncon-2004-reviews-discussion.18546/

I thought it worth throwing the discussion open.

What really interested me wer the variety of things photographed and she had a lot of them. There was ectoplasm being vomitted out (looking like classsic cheesecloth), passing through other objects, hardening into other shapes, forming faces and impressions, forming whispy smoke-like forms. It is clear that the simple sceptical dismissal as it just being cheesecloth is not completely satisfactory (although I am inclined to think that is just because they employed a range of tricks).

So thoughts?

Anyone know the names of the books she used as she seemed to imply one or two were essentially just books of these photos.

She is working on a book along these lines so that should help answer some questions but in the meantime.........

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectoplasm

http://www.skepdic.com/ectoplasm.html

and this is a good entry on the idea of aether which also helped set the background of ectoplasmic appearances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

Last edited by a moderator:

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
The one where stuff was coming through the womans veil was quite impressive. I'd like to know how she did that. The picture could simply have been posed for the camera I suppose. The other thing which is odd is stuff coming out of peoples ears. I mean I can see how you can hide a piece of cloth in your mouth and push it out but your ear? That IS a neat trick!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Could the 'phantom drips' be ectoplasm?

Well of course they could, as nobody has a clue what ectolpasm is! :D

pintquaff

Devoted Cultist
What a laugh, they arnt genuine...... are they??? ;)

Strange how you dont seem to get any images these days of people producing faces out of there orafaces. Ok so we get Ectoplasmic fog (or cigarette smoke as most peeps call it) in many photos but it dont look anything like those pics. IMHO Ectoplasm can be put right there up with those bleeding orbs.

Semyaz

Devoted Cultist
I read somewhere...can't remember where..I'll have to look it up (I'm sure it's in one of my books at home) that ectoplasm derived from or was similar to a chemical or substance found in the human body.

Something to do with cellular stucture, I think...but there wasn't nearly enough in a single human to amount to the levels (supposedly) produced during seances and the like...

I'll get back to you if I can find it....

akaWiintermoon

Abominable Snowman
After watching 'Science and the seance' today (UK, BBC 2, 9.00 pm.) I was reminded of the apparent phenominon of ectoplasm. I say reminded as I first heard of this in my early teens (Quite a while ago now unfortunatly! :cry: ) and, er, I can't recall since. I don't know if there is a thread in here anywhere on it (Probibly, and I've probibly commented in it. :roll: ), but I can't remember any?
Anyway, what I'm asking is, is ectoplasm out of fashion now?! I do believe in life after death and contact but how can an apparent 'real' phenominon exist for a few decades then suddenly dissapear? It would be like EVP fading out in a few decades time. Does ghostly contact evolve with the times?! I mean, there are also reports of messages on videos, answer machines, computers and such like (Haven't heard one about a mobile phone yet. Mind you they can be damn hard to get a signal on. ;) ).
Any thoughts, ideas, stories, links, ect, please post here: :)

krobone

Ephemeral Spectre
akaWiintermoon said:
how can an apparent 'real' phenominon exist for a few decades then suddenly dissapear? It would be like EVP fading out in a few decades time.
I don't think it will even take that long. The reason this kind of stuff goes in and out of favor is that it gets debunked. No one ever managed to produce convincing samples of ectoplasm, so it faded from popularity. Same thing will happen thing w/EVP.

I'm surprised no one's come up with some 'proof' of spooks using a GPS device yet. Dissapearing ghost towns, anyone? :roll:

Rrose_Selavy

Justified & Ancient
I think it may move with the technology - ie "sprit" photographs", ectoplasm - captured by the camera only - which rarely if ever remained after the seance - lest it be analysed and found to be muslim cloth or similar - then EVP with the increased use of tape recording -
We now have so called "orbs" captured mostly by digital cameras - just dust particles - more pictures taken - more opportunity to create the phenomenon.

Expect Anne Boleyn through your wireless PC network anyday now.

-

liveinabin

Justified & Ancient
I thought it was because the showmanship of seances had gone out of style and no one bothered to make any anymore. I don't believe that ectoplasam was a real thing.

konajinx

Junior Acolyte
Sadly, ectoplasm hasn't gone out of style, at least not with some folks. I'll use the Ghoststudy site as the usual culprit once again for this example. Anytime anyone submits a photo over there with fogging or smoke, they categorize it as ectoplasm, completely ignoring the fact that back in the Spiritualist days, the junk was debunked as nothing more than cheesecloth, etc. How this later got twisted into being a label for fogged pictures is anyone's guess.

And lest we forget, in good old Ghostbusters, the ecto was that damn goopy slime! ;)

OldTimeRadio

Antediluvian
I'm well aware of the fraudulent ghoststuffs which have been foisted upon the public by so-called "materialization" mediums down the decades, especially in the United States and the UK - from regurgitated cheesecloth to garishly-painted paper mache "spirit faces" (often with cheap drapery material tacked on for "robes") which in subdued lighting are passed off as the sitters' beloved mothers, sisters, wives or daughters but which in revealing bright light look much more like the clear loser in a prize fight.

But when Baron van Schreck-Notzing studied the noted medium Eva C. in the 'Teens of the century just past he managed to obtain samples of the ectoplasm which had been extruded from the medium's breasts.

This material was analyzed by aid of the best German chemical tests of the day and found to (I quote from memory) "resemble most closely egg albumen but with even less clearly delineated cell structure."

I can't imagine even the world's poorest analytical chemist confusing cheesecloth (regurgitated or not) with what seems to have been a discharge of some pretty basic protoplasm.

This is the best evidence I've yet seen that there is indeed a "real" ectoplasm, and that Eva C. was capable of producing it.

One day in a skeptical mood I tried to dope out how Eva C. could have faked this discharg from her nipples. Perhaps she could have back- pumped some milkly/eggy substance into her milk-ducts?

But I think this entire scenario is dubious for several reasons:

1. I've never been able to find any evidence that such back-pumping is even possible.

2. Even if such a substance could be forced back into the breasts, could it easily be released again?

3. If possible, it still sounds as dangerous as hell.

4. What substance did she use that chemists could not fully type and had apparently not seen before?

5. Eva C. did her sittings in the nude and had a complete medical (and body orifice) examination beforehand. Wouldn't the physicians have noticed and recorded that her breasts were extremely swollen, especially around the nipples? They would likely also have been extremely painful to the touch.

So I'm willing to accept that "ectoplasm" of the Eva C. type MAY be extruded from the body, as a real but obviously very uncommon physiological process.

However that doesn't neccessarily make "ectoplasm," per se, either paranormal or supernatiural!

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
Ultimately we can't really be sure of the setting, collection procedures, chain of evidence or the analysis at such a remove.

If such things are still happening today then it should be easy enough to materialise such substances in better controlled environments, with better collection procedures and analysis.

Anyone know of anyone up for the challenge?

OldTimeRadio

Antediluvian
Mighty_Emperor said:
"Ultimately we can't really be sure of the setting, collection procedures, chain of evidence or the analysis at such a remove."

Emperor, from everything I've read about Dr. Schreck-Notzing's work it seems to have been state-of-the-art German science of the early 20th Century. So we're dealing with the 20th Century and not the 10th.

And surely any trained, qualified Western physician of circa 1915 should have been able to competently observe and accurately report on the discharge of a protoplasmic substance from the nipples of a human female. Indeed, I suspect that he/she would have been as qualified to do this relatively simple thing as a physician from 2015 or 2115.

And as for someone qualified to carry out a scientific study of the creation of ectoplasm TODAY - how about Michael Roll and a team of medical and chemical-analytical observers and technicians he would be able to assemble?

By the way, it's been suggested that certain "athletic sweats" (which are more emotional than physical) may be closely related to traditional "ectoplasm."

Again, IF ECTOPLASM ACTUALLY EXISTS (which I regard as strongly indicated but not yet proved), I am still by no means certain that it need neccessarily be a paranormal or superanatural phenomenon.

corpsechaser

Junior Acolyte
The amazing mr Achora has said that he will be able to produce ectoplasm sometime in the near future :rofl: well if his efforts in trying to communicate with the dead are anything to go by this is most certainly worth watching.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
... But when Baron van Schreck-Notzing studied the noted medium Eva C. in the 'Teens of the century just past he managed to obtain samples of the ectoplasm which had been extruded from the medium's breasts.

This material was analyzed by aid of the best German chemical tests of the day and found to (I quote from memory) "resemble most closely egg albumen but with even less clearly delineated cell structure."

I can't imagine even the world's poorest analytical chemist confusing cheesecloth (regurgitated or not) with what seems to have been a discharge of some pretty basic protoplasm. ...
The murky conclusion that the exudate resembled egg albumen doesn't give much weight to the notion it was a paranormal substance that was captured.

Without details of the chemical analysis, one cannot rule out the notion the sample contained any or multiple of the albumin proteins - of which there are many, and with which the entire human body (particularly the blood stream) is thoroughly infused.

Furthermore ... Egg albumen is the hallmark component of egg whites, and egg white is one of the substances most commonly included in mixing up demonstrably fake ectoplasm (back in the early 20th century).

paulsamfreya

Devoted Cultist
The amazing mr Achora has said that he will be able to produce ectoplasm sometime in the near future :rofl: well if his efforts in trying to communicate with the dead are anything to go by this is most certainly worth watching.
Acora has certainly produced copious amounts of bulls*it in his time, still no sign of ectoplasm though, as far as I'm aware!