• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edinburgh Tours

dannycheveaux1

Devoted Cultist
Hi all
Me and my wife are going to Edinburgh for a few days and we're looking to book a suitably scary tour. At the moment, Mercat's Ghosthunter Trail is favourite having a mixture of no kids allowed, fun, scary and don't use stooges

Anyone else got any ideas, or other things to do? We so far have Rosslyn Chapel and Edinburgh Castle on the list, with a visit to the Jekyll & Hyde pub.
Cheers Dan

Edinburgh is a charming place. Compact and packet with curiosities. Forteana galore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Scotland

Is really quite good.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/
Good tour. Damned interesting in places.

http://www.camera-obscura.co.uk/
Is fun and has lots of holograms and the like. The actual Camera Obscura is much, much better on a clear, bright day.

Arthur's Seat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur's_Seat_Edinburgh

If you have some energy, is the best way to survey the City.

All these places are a quick walk from the Royal Mile. Hope you have a full wallet! :)

I think we have some denizens of the city as regulars here. They can, no doubt, give you the lesser-know lowdown.

City of the Dead go to the Covenanters Prison for the McKenzie Poltergeist. The Nicol Edwards pub is quite nice adn like many said to be haunted. Depends what sort of things you want to do - any more ideas and we can make suggestions.

The Royal Museum on Chambers St has the Fairy Coffins - well worth a look.

Gordon

edinburgh tour

Thanks alot T, G and A!

We're really looking forward to trying some of suggestions.
Can't wait to sample some of the atmosphere and spirits!

We'll be walking everywhere, except the bus trip to Rosslyn.
I'd forgotten that fairy coffin story. I'll have to google it before we go.

It would be interesting to see the older parts of the city for the architecture.
But mainly, we want to see some spooky parts!

Cheers
Dan ;)

The ghost tours have really gone downhill lately imho. Mercat is probably still the best underground ghost one. Best overground ghost tour is Auld Reekie, which goes to the mausuleum in the locked section of the Greyfriars Kirk, reputedly haunted by the McKenzie Poltergeist (and more recently desecrated by the daemonically named youth, Sonny Devlin!). Mary King's Close is better from a historical perspective.

People often go up Arthur's Seat for the views, and ignore the much easier climb of Calton Hill, which features the grand Grecian folly which gives the city its "Athens of the North" title, incredible views across the Parliament, Arthur's Seat, Salisbury Crags and Holyrood Palace, and Nelson's Tower which you can go into (except Sundays) and which is crowned by the Time Ball, which was formerly used by seafarers to tell the time. The history of the Time Ball and 1 O' Clock Gun is explained at the Castle, which is definitely worth visiting.

Near to Kings Stables Road there is a graveyard with some fantastic 17th and 18th century slabs.

At the museum, ask a curator where the Fairy Coffins are - I spent a long - but interesting - 45 minutes trying to find them myself before asking! (Clue: They're near the 'funerals and death' section of the new half of the building). Watch out for the witch stones and other rural occult bits and bobs too.

You could do worse than visiting Inchcolm Abbey, a semi-ruined abbey standing on an island in the middle of the Firth of Forth. To get there, take a train journey to Dalmeny station and walk down to South Queensferry (it's not far). Then get the Maid of the Forth ferry out to Inchcolm. It takes a little planning but is well worth it on a nice day!

Have fun.

PS. Gruesome Fun Fact! One of the founders of Mercat Tours was a convicted sex offender and was then found a couple of years ago, dismembered, in a wheely bin.

Just back today from Edinburgh. Very touristy but nice place and plenty to see.
We went to the top of Calton Hill, fantastic views - also from the top of the museum. We also went to the old graveyard - really atmospheric and interesting.
Did 2 tours in the end - Mercat's ghosthunter trail then Mary King's Close.

Neither scary, but both quite good. Everyone in my group on the MK tour groaned as they announced they didn't allow photography - a big let down!
Mercat did allow it - and out of a number of quick pics I took, got a really good orb, too intense to be dust I'm sure. I know it's a contoversial point, but I must have taken hundreds of digital photos over the last few years, inlcuding a lot in "haunted" locations, but have NEVER had anything like this turn up!

And I can confirm they didn't mention the Gruesome Fun Fact!
Cheers Dan

Hi again
I'm sure you've seen a lot of em, but here's my orb pic.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/coebpn

I haven't edited at all. I was probably standing about 5 feet from the doorway. I had no reason to point the camera the way I did, I just pointed it away from the rest of the tour party.
Dan

Glad you had a good time, Dan!

It's certainly odd underground, but I wouldn't say it was "haunted". Every time I've been (including a few times on... well, let's say 'unofficial' 1am tours) I've had some great orb photos, but I honestly couldn't say they were anything but dust.

Unless you define "haunted" as meaning something causes people to see odd things and feel odd down there, which certainly does happen, but I feel is more likely to be because it's so close and dark, and catching the sounds and vibrations of the city centre which surrounds it on all sides.

Ya know i've lived in Bathgate just outside Edinburgh for over 2 years now and i've never been on any of the ghost tours in Edinburgh. I did visit a supposedly haunted pub though, but i reckon it was used just to attract customers.

ComradeDX, was the pub you visited Nicol Edwards? I’ve been there a few times and even heard some odd sound phenomena in the vaulted part of the pub. It sounded like someone was speaking into my ear even though there was no one sitting next to me (on the side of the voice, that is).

I don’t consider it a ghost but just acoustics of the vaults doing their thing. To anyone less sceptical as I am probably would think it was a ghost, which is probably part of the reason why it’s meant to be haunted.

Back