• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eerie, Indiana

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
It has come up in this thread (and would people fancy me splitting out some of the discussion from there to add in here?):

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=353109#353109

but I though it deserved a thread of its own as it gave a lot of us our (early nineties) pre-X-Files dose of weirdness and it was often funny, spooky and genuinely weird at the same time - I remember and episode (episode 18) where the whole conventions of a TV series fall apart.

Anyway some links:

http://www.tvtome.com/EerieIndiana/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101088/

http://www.jumptheshark.com/e/eerieindiana.htm

http://www.innermind.com/myguides/guides/eerie.htm

The spin off:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-3260/

[edit: And its available on DVD (Region 1 only and only 3 episodes Forever Ware / The Retainer / ATM with a Heart of Gold)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050 ... enantmc-20
]

Emps

I had an argument with a friend's kid that I watched this programme before he could even talk. Okay so we were watching repeats but he didn't believe me. Same as my brother's kids didn't believe Maid Marian (the Tony Robinson kids show) was first shown before they were a twinkle in their Dad's eye "Oh no, it is a new programme just come on TV, it isn't a repeat, silly Aunty Q".

Same as 'Round the Twist' which was a fantastic show before all the original characters went through puberty and they had to get new child actors in. I watched that religiously- I think it started in '89?

Anyway Eerie Indiana- brilliant because of the inclusion of John Astin (Gomez) and it had that weird episode where the main kid actor encountered a secret underground base where the Nazi Leader guy out of The Blue's Brothers collected all the 'lost' things in the area like pen tops and single socks that get lost in washing machines.

I used to quite like Eerie Indiana, and I remember that specific episode where he went to the place with all the lost stuff ;) My little brother actually got a DVD I think for Christmas last year with some episodes on it. I much preferred Round the Twist though, as Quixote says with the original characters it was an excellent show, I really loved it ;) I remember wishing that sort of thing would happen to me :)

Quixote said:
Same as 'Round the Twist' which was a fantastic show before all the original characters went through puberty and they had to get new child actors in. I watched that religiously- I think it started in '89?

Oooooo I'd forgotten about that - I really liked that too (although I think I prefered IE) and now I can't get the theme tune out of my head "Strange things happen when you're going 'round the twist". It did have more series that IE:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-3332/

Emps

My Favourite Kids TV Programs must be:

Eerie Indianna
Round the Twist
The Oddessy
Maid Marian

Wasn't there an episode of Eerie Indiana where some woman kept her kids in giant tupperware containers so they wouldn't grow old?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Jolly Jack said:
Wasn't there an episode of Eerie Indiana where some woman kept her kids in giant tupperware containers so they wouldn't grow old?

Or am I thinking of something else?

Yep. They were freaky, chubby twins in 50's outfits. They did the look-at-each-other-then-speak-in-unison thing beloved of creepy twins everywhere.

My favourites were the episode where Marshall infiltrates that Freemason-type lodge and discovers a shortcut to Mars (although I may be remembering it a bit wrong) and the one where Marshall gets trapped in the Lost Hour and goes on the run from sinister Dustmen. Amazing how much they managed to cram into twenty minutes. It's a shame we never found out what the secret of Dash X was.

I seem to remember that there was a new series made quite a few years after the first, with a completely different set of actors and characters. It was pants. I'm not even sure it was still called "Eerie Indiana" - it might have been "Eerie, West Virginia" or something. Does anyone have the slightest idea what I'm on about? They showed it on the Big Breakfast during the school holidays. It was pants, I tell you!

Eerie Indiana - I always taped this program on a Tuesaday as I had Scouts that night. Anyway I always loved them but one episode always left me feeling cold, you remember the one where Marshall and his friend meet a girl who needs a heart transplant? Marshalls friend then dies and the girl has his heart (i think its heart) but the spirt of the dead freind wont allow them to get together.?!

That creeped me out for a long time

I liked the episode where the werewolf defied media convention by transforming almost instantly from man to monster on-screen (a nice use of morphing). I think it was called 'Mr Chaney'.

My first post here was about Eerie Indiana (I think!).

I remember watching the first ep with the twin boyts sealed in Forever ware with a friend when I was at college. We were both hooked from the start. lol

Have just finished plowing through the whole box set, i love that show so much - found a region 0 (i.e. pirated) set on eBay for region 2 people. Note: i do not support DVD pirates, but on this occasion had to let my morals slip.
Round the twist, another brilliant childhood memory is out on DVD in a week. Made me the fortean i am today, or maybe i'm just trying to find excuses for reliving my childhood ;)

I think I was already a Fortean when I first experienced Round the Twist but I loved it anyway :) It certainly helped my interests in the subject progress though, and I suspect it's where my "want to go out and actually look for phenomena" urges came from ;)

Emperor said:
And its available on DVD (Region 1 only and only 3 episodes Forever Ware / The Retainer / ATM with a Heart of Gold)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000050 ... enantmc-20

I've just foudn out it is available as a complete 5 disc DVD boxset (UK people have to order it from the US but I have ordered a tonne of stuff from caiman_usa and they always seem to have the lowest prices and are reasonably quick on delivery too):

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00062W ... enantmc-20

OMG!!!!!
i loved that show!!!
i swear i think about it almost daily. pardon my OCD. :D

i didn't know anybody else was even aware of it. should've known i'd find info about it here!

thanks, emperor!

i've ordered mine. i now have something to live for!!!!!

Play Dead said:
OMG!!!!!
i loved that show!!!
i swear i think about it almost daily. pardon my OCD. :D

i didn't know anybody else was even aware of it. should've known i'd find info about it here!

thanks, emperor!

i've ordered mine. i now have something to live for!!!!!

LOL - glad I made your day ;)

I a friend who also really, really loves EI (in a slightly unhealthy way :p) and I was debating sending her a copy but you can only order one of each item from the States so that means I can't get one for me and I realy love it but she really, really loves it. Then again she has probably bought it by now or I could just send her the link or I could email her Dad and suggest a late birthday present or I could buy it for me and lend it to her or buy it for her and watch it first or.......

I loved it too.I remember te one about the little bloke that was taking all the pen lids and odd socks and stuff to an underground room.I swear that is what really happens to all the things I have ever lost.

i ordered the boxset and sadly the series didn't live up to my memory of it. :cry: i loved the whole concept and many of the plots, but the main character wasn't a very good actor. i also think that when the show first came out, it seemed pretty innovative with the voice-over and young cast in a traditionally adult, evening timeslot.

Play Dead said:
i ordered the boxset and sadly the series didn't live up to my memory of it. :cry: i loved the whole concept and many of the plots, but the main character wasn't a very good actor. i also think that when the show first came out, it seemed pretty innovative with the voice-over and young cast in a traditionally adult, evening timeslot.

Thats disappointing.

Sometimes nostalgia is a bitch :(

Back