• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Problem: Exorcists In Short Supply / More Needed

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
'Emergency' need for exorcists after surge in people dabbling in Satanism and black magic
the-exorcist--large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

A scene from the 1973 film The Exorcist. Experts on both sides of the Atlantic claim there is an urgent need for Catholic priests to be trained as exorcists. Credit: Everett/REX/Shutterstock
26 September 2016 • 7:06pm
Exorcists are in urgent demand as a result of a sharp rise in people dabbling in Satanism and the occult, experts from the Catholic Church in Italy and the US said.

Speaking in tongues, levitating and vomiting nails may seem far-fetched to most people, but church experts insist there is a need to recruit more priests as exorcists in order to combat sorcery and black magic.

Valter Cascioli, a psychologist and scientific consultant to the International Association of Exorcists, which is endorsed by the Vatican, described as an “emergency” the lack of priests capable of fighting the forces of evil.

“The lack of exorcists is a real emergency. There is a pastoral emergency as a result of a significant increase in the number of diabolical possessions that exorcist priests are confronting,” he told La Stampa newspaper.

“The number of people who take part in occult and satanic practices, which lead to serious physical, psychological and spiritual damages, is constantly rising.”

Dr Cascioli teaches courses in exorcism at the Pontifical University of Regina Apostolorum, a Vatican-backed university in Rome. “The number of exorcists has increased in recent years, but there are still not enough to deal with a dramatic situation that affects, above all, young people who use the internet a lot.

More text at link...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-exorcists-as-increasing-number-of-people-da/

I think that there are indeed cases of people trapped with evil forces. I especially advice people to stay away from ouija boards.

However, no doubt a lot of these cases are just psychological dramas. In some repressive Catholic societies being possessed is one way to say offensive things to authority figures. It might be quite refreshing.

A continuous rise in the number of exorcism requests, plus the rigors of performing exorcisms, have led to exorcist burnout and a shortage of qualified exorcists to meet the demand ...
Vatican’s Exorcists Face Burnout with Huge Numbers of Claimed Possessions

It’s not easy being an exorcist. You have to meet the strangest people, battle the forces of evil, and all you get as a reward is a little girl spitting split pea soup in your face.

And then you do that up to 50 times a day.

Anybody would get tired from that kind of a job schedule. It’s no wonder, then, that Vatican’s official exorcists are fast heading toward burnout.

A new survey found that the devil-battling priests are seriously overworked. Not only that, they’re struggling to get support from higher-ups in the church for their soul-saving efforts.

Carried out by the Vatican-approved university Pontifical Athenaeum Regina Apostolorum, the survey covered 120 Italian exorcists. With a grand total of 290 exorcists in the country, we’d say they got a pretty good sample size.

According to the survey, some priests attend as many as 30-50 exorcisms every day. But even that may not be enough — the numbers of claimed possessions are constantly rising. ...

In 2018, Sicilian priest Benigno Palilla stated that at the time, the Vatican was seeing 500,000 cases of possession per year. According to him, that marked a threefold increase over just a few years.

Faced with these unprecedented numbers of possessions, the wait times to see an exorcist are getting longer and longer. ...

The lack of access to exorcists has created a bizarre black market for exorcisms. If the official, church-sanctioned priests can’t get to you, you can now order an exorcism online.

Of course, the people carrying out these DIY exorcisms are rarely qualified to do so. Some of them may not even actually be priests. ...

“A self-taught exorcist certainly meets errors. I will say more — it also requires a period of apprenticeship, as happens for many professionals,” said Palilla.

But the people whose souls the devil has sunk his claws into are desperate. Unless the Vatican hires more exorcists, they may be out of options.
FULL STORY: https://www.oddee.com/vaticans-exor...th-huge-numbers-of-claimed-possessions-63218/

[Business Idea] I wonder how much they'd pay for it to be outsourced?

I don't think that's possible. Under longstanding specifications for the rite of exorcism it has to be done by an ordained priest. In other words, it's currently set up as an exclusive franchise.

I don't think that's possible. Under longstanding specifications for the rite of exorcism it has to be done by an ordained priest. In other words, it's currently set up as an exclusive franchise.
They could be reported to the Monopolies Commission/Competition Commission for that. :)

The time is ripe for robotic exorcists. Robots never tire, cannot sin (or can they ?) and they don't give a sh*t about satanic provocations. They would make ideal exorcists.

Last edited:
A continuous rise in the number of exorcism requests, plus the rigors of performing exorcisms, have led to exorcist burnout and a shortage of qualified exorcists to meet the demand ...

FULL STORY: https://www.oddee.com/vaticans-exor...th-huge-numbers-of-claimed-possessions-63218/

This caught my attention: "According to the survey, some priests attend as many as 30-50 exorcisms every day." Assuming a 16 hour work day, this 50/16 = 3 an hour or about 15-20 minutes, assuming no travel time between appointments. I suspect that for the Roman Catholics, this is not something done over the phone or on videolink.

Other types of practitioners, not Roman Catholic or Christian, have a different view of the possessing spirit: Edith Fiore ("The Unquiet Dead"), Carl Wickland ("Thirty Years Among the Dead"), and their colleagues. They also remove the possessing or attaching entity from the human sufferer. I think that for some sufferers, this type of action will bring long-lasting relief. The mechanisms are certainly open to different interpretations.

Last edited:
This caught my attention: "According to the survey, some priests attend as many as 30-50 exorcisms every day." Assuming a 16 hour work day, this 50/16 = 3 an hour or about 15-20 minutes, assuming no travel time between appointments. I suspect that for the Roman Catholics, this is not something done over the phone or on videolink.
A 16 hour day?.. Priests work a strict 8 hour day with an hour off for lunch, as negotiated by the Reverends & Associated Trades Union. I would put money on priests never having done 30-50 exorcisms every day.

The time is ripe for robotic exorcists. Robots never tire, cannot sin (or can they ?) and they don't give a sh*t about satanic provocations. They would make ideal exorcists.
!!! Robots do not have a soul or etheric body, so cannot perform exorcisms. What is that weird noise? Oh yes, it is the thin ice cracking beneath me...

A 16 hour day?.. Priests work a strict 8 hour day with an hour off for lunch, as negotiated by the Reverends & Associated Trades Union. I would put money on priests never having done 30-50 exorcisms every day.
Yes, typically they will avoid work.

Back