• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eurovision

CodenameThrow said:
I'm pleased the Swedes didn't win as predicted, they can do so much better than that song and now they have to pull their fingers out and produce another The Ark. It should have been Andreas and Carola IMO

I had to laugh when Terry Wogan described the Swedish entry as "Just a little bit frightening"! There was something scary about her...

Incidentally, ten punishing minutes of Serbian turbo folk: worst interval act ever?

The way Terry Wogan was going on last night it sounded as if he believed there was a conspiracy among the Eastern nations to allow Russia to win. Anyone here from those countries? Any truth to this? Did they all get a phone call at three o'clock in the morning telling them "Vote Russia - or else!"?

'Eurovision 2008' Thread merged with 'Eurovision.'

P_M.
----------------------------
gncxx said:

Incidentally, ten punishing minutes of Serbian turbo folk: worst interval act ever?
What was really worrying was the fact that it was better than any of the actual entries. Even the apparently satirical Serbian ditty, 'Kalashnikov, boom boom boom!' :(

gncxx said:
CodenameThrow said:
I'm pleased the Swedes didn't win as predicted, they can do so much better than that song and now they have to pull their fingers out and produce another The Ark. It should have been Andreas and Carola IMO

I had to laugh when Terry Wogan described the Swedish entry as "Just a little bit frightening"! There was something scary about her...

I reckon she should have sued her plastic surgeon rather than going on Eurovision! :8

It probably helps to be Serbian to see the humour in "Kalashnikov Boom Boom Boom" - especially after Belgrade was introduced as the "Capitol of Peace and Harmony" - cough, splutter...

If the voting was rigged or not doesn't matter - most of it was rubbish, some were sort of ok, Finland rocked, Spain reinvented the Chicken Dance ("Bailla la Chikki Chikki" - puhhhhlease!), Germany and the UK just sucked and Aberzijan re-dfined bad taste.

General Franco would have been proud.

Zilch5 said:
... Spain reinvented the Chicken Dance ("Bailla la Chikki Chikki" - puhhhhlease!) ...
That's the only song, amongst the entries, that I could actually remember. Still not a patch on 'Kalashnikov, Boom Boom Boom!' though.

And, for those that may have missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYryevHIZGw
'Kalashnikov (Boom Boom Boom!)' by, Goran Bregović.

There was a programme on Radio 4 last week which was all about Eurovision vote-rigging, can't remember what it was called though sorry about that :oops:

gncxx said:
The way Terry Wogan was going on last night it sounded as if he believed there was a conspiracy among the Eastern nations to allow Russia to win. Anyone here from those countries? Any truth to this? Did they all get a phone call at three o'clock in the morning telling them "Vote Russia - or else!"?

Quite probably!

The BBC is one of the main sponsors of the Eurovision Zonk Contest and as a licence payer, I think it should be dropped from the schedule on grounds of finance as well as taste.

Frankly, it's just not as funny as it used to be.

The BBC say they're sticking with Eurovision and rightly so. As long as it still gets some of the highest ratings of the year I don't see why they should drop it. If TV was governed by some nebulous notion of "good taste only" the schedules would be decimated.

The Russian entry was performed by an artist who is massive in Eastern Europe, so it's no surprise he got top marks from so many of its countries. If anything it was a personality contest rather than a political one.

Could Wogan's threats to give up and new level of displeasure have anything to do with his statement that he couldn't "get a drink around here"? Not to mention having to go somewhere he can't sunbathe again next year? I used to love the Wogan but since his producer and best friend died a few years ago he's sadly lost it IMO. If Paddy O'Connor takes over I'll be very happy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7935865.stm

Eurovision axes 'anti-Putin' song

Georgia's entry has been ruled unacceptable by organisers of the Eurovision Song Contest in Moscow, because of some of its lyrics.

The disco-funk song, We Don't Wanna Put In, appears to poke fun at Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

However, it is against the competition's rules to allow political content in entries.

A contest spokesman said: "No lyrics, speeches, gestures of a political or similar nature shall be permitted."

The event, which is being held in the Russian capital in May, is taking place less than a year after Russia and Georgia went to war over the region of South Ossetia.

Relations between the two countries have been tense for several years.

Georgia initially announced it would not take part in the Moscow contest due to political objections, but the decision was reversed in December.

'Negative move'

The song, which was chosen by a public vote and jury, was due to be performed by female trio 3G along with male vocalist Stephane.

The song, which has a distinct 1970s feel, contains the chorus: "We don't wanna put in, the negative move, it's killin' the groove."

Even the title of the song appears to be play on the politician's name.

The Geneva-based European Broadcasting Union, which runs the contest, said Georgia can rewrite the lyrics of its entry or select another song.

Natya Uznadze, the group's producer, said they had yet to receive official confirmation of the decision.

Vladimir Smirnov from Russia's state-run Channel One - which will broadcast the contest - said the network had nothing to do with the decision.

Russia won the right to host the annual event after winning last year's competition.

Maybe the East isn't quite as united as we thought? Will the voting be different this year?

Vladimir Putin.
Is never seen in
The same place as
Dobby the HouseElf.

Boom-Bang-a-Bang-Dong.

jimv1 said:
Vladimir Putin.
Is never seen in
The same place as
Dobby the HouseElf.

Boom-Bang-a-Bang-Dong.

Ha Ha. That is funny, but also true when you think about it.

I reckon we should pull out of Eurovsion, we have not got a hope in hell of winning it.

In fact, scrap the songs altogether as they are universally rubbish, and just have the voting because that is the funniest part. Hosted by Terry Wogan, of course.

Royaume-Uni, nil points. :roll:

Plenty of countries don't have a chance, but they give it a go anyway. Look at Malta, they love it. Don't let's say "it's my ball and I'm going home" because we're not winning currently. It's an entertainment show after all, and remains full of interest whether you take it seriously or see it as a bit of fun.

Terry Wogan isn't doing it anymore, anyway.

gncxx said:
You know who'd be a good replacement - Rob Bryden! For some reason I think he would "fit" very well... :D

Zoffre said:
gncxx said:
You know who'd be a good replacement - Rob Bryden! For some reason I think he would "fit" very well... :D

He'd be great, he could do all the accents as well. It's not him, though, it's Graham Norton, who I don't have a problem with in theory. Not long to find out how he does...

Remember when the Eurovision Song Contest was just one night? Those days are gone! It's Eurovision week now! Tonight at eight o'clock it's the first semi-final, then the second semi-final on Thursday, and finally the grand finale on Saturday.

Naturally, I'll be watching for any conspiracy and sundry lunacies...

I didn't know Brooke Shields was Russian. Anyway, just watched the first semi-final and so far no sign of a conspiracy, because if there was then Bulgaria would have gone through (not often you see a cape worn unironically).

Actually Western Europe did really well, which may be a pointer to the final. Pity Geri Halliwell singing for Andorra didn't go through, that was a nice tune.

The hosts this year have even more comedy value than the legendary Dr Death and the Tooth Fairy. :D

beakboo said:
The hosts this year have even more comedy value than the legendary Dr Death and the Tooth Fairy. :D

Who be they?

I'll be watching anyway.... :D

MsPix said:
beakboo said:

Who be they?

I think that's what Terry Wogan called the hosts in... Estonia, was it? From a few short years ago, anyway.

"In case the headline doesn’t make any sense to you: “Dr. Death and the Tooth-Fairy” were the Great Terry Wogan’s pet names for the Danish hosts Søren Pilmark and Natasja Crone back in 2001.

According to Wikipedia, my fellow countrymen weren’t amused and the Beeb had to issue an apology on behalf of Mr. Wogan. (That will teach you a lesson: Never make fun of the Danes. We have no sense of humour at all).

These days, Dr. Death appears in TV commercials for the Danish Railways while the Tooth-Fairy has moved on to anchor Danmarks Radio’s flagship Sunday evening news magazine."

Source: http://crookedtimber.org/2006/05/19/dr- ... oth-fairy/

We're getting Eurovision as a two-night condensed special this weekend down here. It is viewed here as an ironic feast of Euro-kitsch, and as such a cult show. People throw parties and stuff - everyone has a good laugh.

Can't wait.

The spectacle was there, but I didn't think the songs were as good tonight. However, I wouldn't read too much into most of the acts going through being East European, because most of the acts on the show were from there anyway. Interesting to see how the Greek entry and his magic box will do.

Zilch5 said:
We're getting Eurovision as a two-night condensed special this weekend down here. It is viewed here as an ironic feast of Euro-kitsch, and as such a cult show. People throw parties and stuff - everyone has a good laugh.

Can't wait.
Actually, we're getting all three nights - both semi-finals and the final on Sunday.

I didn't see all of last night's but I thought of what I did see the Armenian entry was the best. (Or least worst, if you prefer.)

As far as I'm concerned, the Russians can take their Eurovision and stuff it up their...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...olently-break-up-gay-pride-rally-1685872.html

Moscow police violently break up gay pride rally

Independent online. By Associated Press 16th May 2009

Moscow police have violently dispersed a gay pride parade banned by the authorities.

Riot police broke up a protest by around 20 gay pride activists, dragging them into detention buses. Activists called Russia's homophobia "a disgrace".

City authorities had barred today's rally saying it was morally wrong. Moscow mayor Yuri Luzhkov has described homosexuality as "satanic".

The detentions come as Moscow prepares to host the final of the Eurovision song contest, Europe's most prestigious pop music contest.

The international competition has drawn attention to gay rights in Russia, with some singers threatening to boycott the event if the gay pride parade was not allowed to happen.

:evil:

The same happened last year, Peter Tatchell was beaten up & arrested.

Apparently Russia is the last place in the world to realise the ESC has a gay following... Still, don't punish the other countries for their closed-mindedness.

Back