• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Evangelion

RyoHazuki

Ephemeral Spectre
I'm sure this may have been mentioned before, but I've searched the forum in vain. Anyhoo, years ago I picked up a ltd-ed Akira dvd from a shop, and when informed at the till that Manga films were BOGOF, I randomly grabbed another, which turned out to be Neon Genesis Evangelion. It was quite hard to follow, being a very condensed 2-hour mash-up of an entire series, but the imagery and concepts really struck me.
Then I replayed it with 'commentary' (something which I never, ever do normally) and the voice actors began explaining the whole back-story, along with all the quasi-religious and mythological references that would otherwise have gone right over my head. It really is one of the most clever and well-constructed ideas that I've come across in SF genres.
The Pacific Rim release brought it to mind, as there was a memorable sequence of an Evangelion/angel fight on a battleship on that dvd, and despite not having seen the film I'm guessing there's some heavy 'inspiration', if not gentle plagiarism, at work :) Is anyone more familiar with the series than me, and having already grasped the concept and general plot, would it be worthwhile tracking down and watching the whole thing at length?

The original series of Evangelion is worth watching, but sadly has the known issue that the plug was pulled on it before completion, meaning that just when it's getting really interesting and you think it's building towards a finale... the last two episodes are bollocks and not even animated per se.

I've only seen bits of the rebooted 'movie' format but that looks worth watching too.

Thanks - I might seek it out anyway in that case. I'm used to being frustrated by premature endings in various formats, so I don't think it would spoil my enjoyment too much. :)

:)

You might also like Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean, because quite a few people like that sort of thing.

That endorsement sounded so much more convincing in my head...

:oops:

Cool, I'll try that too :)

On a similar note of awkward posts, I've only just realised that my previous reply could be read in a totally 'different' way :oops: :oops: Premature CANCELLATIONS. Thats what I meant. Cancellations of series, and films. Yes.

Back