• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Evolution In Action (Ongoing Evolutionary Processes)

The Daily Mail has an article on how humans are dumbing down and no longer need intelligence to survive.

Our intelligence and behaviour requires optimal functioning of a large number of genes, which requires enormous evolutionary pressures to maintain.
Now, in a provocative theory, a team from Stanford University claim we are losing our intellectual and emotional capabilities because the intricate web of genes which endows us with our brain power is particularly vulnerable to mutations - and these mutations are not being selected against our modern society because we no longer need intelligence to survive.
But we shouldn't lose any sleep over our diminishing brain power - as by the time it becomes a real problem technology will have found a solution making natural selection obsolete....

Full article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... rvive.html

Bah; typical Daily Mail garbage.

Haven't they heard of the Flynn Effect;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
every year they have to make IQ tests harder, because people are getting smarter at them. If we all took IQ tests from the 1930s most of us would be geniuses.

eburacum said:
Bah; typical Daily Mail garbage.

Haven't they heard of the Flynn Effect;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
every year they have to make IQ tests harder, because people are getting smarter at them. If we all took IQ tests from the 1930s most of us would be geniuses.

Getting better at doing IQ tests? Does that actually correlate with a rise in intelligence?

Some great info there! thanks!

On the subject of human evolution, with the current western trends of (generally speaking) females selecting braindead 'macho' males and males selecting beautiful braindead females we should be dumbing down at an extreme pace.

Analis said:
Parrots would be even better candidates. They have greater skills at numeration and communication.

I agree in principle, all things being equal parrots are better candidates. But given the range, numbers and adaptability of the corvids the chances become greater in my opinion. Plus I think their varied diet gives them an edge, as they can can hunt, scavenge or gather food, meaning more opportunities to get food, and thus don't have to spend so much time on aqcuiring it. This leaves more time for social activites such as bonding, rearing young, even playing.

Other good candidates include elephants, rats, beavers, squirrels. Elephants have no hands, but they have trumps with digits. And they are long-lived.

Totally agree, especially with rats. Although their brains are small they have a sort of 'hive mind' going for them. I may be guilty of anthropomorphising them in some way but I have a feeling the animals that have adapted best to urban environments (eg foxes, rats, mice) would make the best candidates for civilisation too, just a sort of feeling more than any scientific reasoning though. I guess its just because they are scavengers they adapt to city life.

Elephants too are very interesting, they are the only animals known to bury their dead, which some archaeologists take as evidence of early development of human consciousness. They also cry, not only when other herd members die, but when baby elephants are born too!

But would higher intelligent creatures feel the need to develop a technological civilisation ? That's not really obvious.

To my mind technology just develops, partly accidentally, and partly due to necessity. Beyond a certain point, if a species is tribal or aggressive it becomes a race to develop more and more technological advances. With a 'higher' species already in the mix it would be very interesting how far they would develop their own technology, how far they would be able to uitilise ours, and how they might interact with us. Arguably they already do, elephant, horses, camels, donkeys etc as pack animals, dogs for a wide range of purposes and all manner of pets. But this is undeniably humans training animals, not them working or acting of their own accord. The key really is communication.

Without humans in the equation I would make a guess that chimpanzees or elephants (or some descendant of them) would be the first techological species, with humans present I guess rats or corvids maybe.

I thought that "The Future is Wild" was amazingly well done, except the names. Honestly, it sounds like they had a contest where 3rd-graders got to name them, then vote for their favorites. :lol:

I know this isn't helping, but there was another one, "Alien Planet" on Discovery which was similar in concept, but far, far stranger in execution.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/alienplanet/about/about.html

Yes I've seen some speculative alien Worlds, fascinating stuff! I think a more useful application in terms of ufology would be to use descriptions of aliens, and try to imagine the Worldsa they came from. For instance if they have protective clothing/ breathing apparatus they may be from colder/ warmer climates, with a different atmosphere, if they are tall and thin, perhaps they are from smaller planets with lower gravity etc etc. When people report different types of aliens it makes me skeptical, however it could be that they have mastered cloning/ genetic manipulation etc (the 'greys' - alienus canus as I like to call them - are rumoured to be artificaly engineered as workers for reptilians in some theories/ claims). The same sort of thing goes for spacecraft, if their civilisation has moved beyond the need for assembly line manufacturing then it perhaps explains the vast array of different types of craft that are seen, rather than human airplanes which all look fairly similar.

Mythopoeika said:
Getting better at doing IQ tests? Does that actually correlate with a rise in intelligence?
There are two possibilities;
1/ People are getting smarter,
and
2/ People are getting better at IQ tests.
Both are probably correct.

Since the 1930s when good data started becoming available the level of nutrition in the general populace has improved; this is true on a global scale, by the way. This could easily lead to improved ability at IQ tests and would explain some of the increase.

Another, possibly stronger effect is that a much larger section of the population are now familiar with the sort of questions asked in intelligence tests and can give the expected answers.

It may even be the case that we are getting genetically dumber while getting effectively smarter; this demonstrates the superiority of nurture over nature as far as I'm concerned.

Well, the way I see it is that there's a new willingness to approach and celebrate dumbness and ridicule intelligence. I suppose it may now be hardwired into the DNA to resist education and fact and live in the world of social twittering and media-stoked ignorance. After all, there's more chance of finding a mate and having a brace of kids in a larger peer group of thick people than the ultimately-doomed intelligent.

jimv1 said:
Well, the way I see it is that there's a new willingness to approach and celebrate dumbness and ridicule intelligence. I suppose it may now be hardwired into the DNA to resist education and fact and live in the world of social twittering and media-stoked ignorance. After all, there's more chance of finding a mate and having a brace of kids in a larger peer group of thick people than the ultimately-doomed intelligent.

Yup. I think it stems from people's insecurities about intelligence, so hopefully there is still a deep-seated desire to be knowledgable, constructive and creative, but ultimately we glorify violence and destruction.

GNCXX: You have awakened my ever-present nightmare.

Idiocracy was a film made by idiots, for idiots. If they think people are getting dumber they are 100% wrong.

eburacum said:
Idiocracy was a film made by idiots, for idiots. If they think people are getting dumber they are 100% wrong.

It's certainly one of the most depressing comedies ever.

Here's how the world has changed; my daughter is now at college, studying the same sort of thing I studied many years ago in the same university. Students today are studying things I couldn't even dream of, using computers around a million times more powerful, working far harder that I ever did. The pressure they are under is immense.

Don't imagine for a minute that the world is dumbing down, because it isn't.

Jeremy Paxman: What is another name for 'cherrypickers' and 'cheesemongers'?

Contestant: Homosexuals.

Paxman: No. They're regiments in the British Army who will be very upset with you.

UNIVERSITY CHALLENGE (BBC2)

gncxx said:
eburacum said:

It's certainly one of the most depressing comedies ever.

I enjoyed it. Does that make me a depressed idiot? :)

I think this fits here, different solutions to the same challenge.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 094606.htm

Ethiopians and Tibetans Thrive in Thin Air Using Similar Physiology, but Different Genes
Dec. 6, 2012 — Scientists say they have pinpointed genetic changes that allow some Ethiopians to live and work more than a mile and a half above sea level without getting altitude sickness. The specific genes differ from those reported previously for high-altitude Tibetans, even though both groups cope with low-oxygen in similar physiological ways, the researchers report.

If confirmed, the results may help scientists understand why some people are more vulnerable to low blood oxygen levels caused by factors other than altitude -- such as asthma, sleep apnea, heart problems or anemia -- and point to new ways to treat them, the researchers say.

Living with less

Lower air pressure at high altitude means fewer oxygen molecules for every breath. "At 4000 meters, every lungful of air only has 60% of the oxygen molecules that people at sea level have," said co-author Cynthia Beall of Case Western Reserve University.

To mop up scarce oxygen from thin air, travelers to high altitude compensate by making more hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying component of human blood. But high hemoglobin comes with a cost. Over the long term, excessive hemoglobin can increase the risk of blood clots, stroke, and chronic mountain sickness, a disease characterized by thick and viscous blood.

"Altitude affects your thinking, your breathing, and your ability to sleep. But high-altitude natives don't have these problems," said Beall, who has studied high altitude adaptation in different populations in Ethiopia, Peru and Tibet for more than 20 years. "They don't wheeze like we do. Their thinking is fine. They sleep fine. They don't complain of headaches. They're able to live a healthy life, and they do it completely comfortably," she added.

How do they do it?

Research over the last four decades has revealed that people born and raised in mountainous regions cope with altitude in different ways. Native highlanders in Tibet and some in Ethiopia, for example, are able to maintain relatively low blood hemoglobin concentrations at high altitude compared to their counterparts in the Andes, a trait that makes them less susceptible to chronic mountain sickness.

Tibetans and some Ethiopians have both evolved a dampened response to low oxygen, explained study co-authors Anna Di Rienzo and Gorka Alkorta-Aranburu of the University of Chicago.

The researchers wanted to pinpoint the genetic changes that enable Ethiopians to thrive in thin air, and to see if the same genes play a role for Ethiopians as found in recent studies for Tibetans.

To find out, they analyzed the genomes of nearly 260 Ethiopian villagers belonging to two ethnic groups: the Oromo, who began settling at high altitude in the Bale Mountains of southeast Ethiopia about 500 years ago, and the Amhara, who have lived at high altitude in the Semien Mountains of northwest Ethiopia for at least 5,000 years.

Research by Beall and colleagues in the early 2000s revealed that Oromo cope with thin air in much the same way that lowlanders visiting high altitude do -- i.e., by making more hemoglobin.

In contrast, Amhara highlanders -- whose ancestors have inhabited mountainous regions for thousands of years longer than the Omoro -- are able to maintain blood hemoglobin levels that are roughly 10% lower than Omoro living at the same altitude.

In a study to appear in the December 6, 2012 online issue of the journal PLoS Genetics, a team led by Beall, Di Rienzo and Alkorta-Aranburu analyzed both groups' DNA, which was extracted from blood and saliva samples donated by Amhara and Omoro villagers born and raised at high (3700-4000m) and low (1200-1560m) elevations.

Using a statistical technique called a genome-wide association study, the researchers scanned the genomes of highland and lowland Ethiopians from both ethnic groups in search of variants associated with hemoglobin levels in the blood.

Same solution, different genes

When they scanned the villagers' DNA, the researchers found a genetic variant associated with low hemoglobin levels in the Amhara.

This variant was located in a different region of the genome than those previously found to be associated with low hemoglobin in Tibetans. In other words, the physiological coping mechanisms shared by Amhara and Tibetans in response to life at high altitude -- ie., dampened hemoglobin levels -- are due to different underlying genes.

It is still unclear whether the first settlers of high altitude regions in Ethiopia and Tibet carried different genetic variants with them when they arrived, or whether different mutations occurred in these populations after they got there. But it's clear that each group followed a different evolutionary pathway.

"They have a similar physiologic solution, but that doesn't necessarily amount to a similar genetic solution," Di Rienzo said.

For the Omoro -- who are relative newcomers to high altitude -- the researchers also found differences between highlanders and lowlanders in DNA methylation, a chemical process that causes changes in gene activity, but doesn't necessarily alter the genetic code. While the differences aren't linked to hemoglobin levels, the results suggest that such changes may play a role in the early stages of high altitude adaptation, the researchers say.

Other authors of the study were David Witonsky and Jonathan Pritchard of the University of Chicago, and Amha Gebremedhin of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia.

Story Source:

The above story is reprinted from materials provided by National Evolutionary Synthesis Center (NESCent), via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Journal Reference:

Gorka Alkorta-Aranburu, Cynthia M. Beall, David B. Witonsky, Amha Gebremedhin, Jonathan K. Pritchard, Anna Di Rienzo. The Genetic Architecture of Adaptations to High Altitude in Ethiopia. PLoS Genetics, 2012; 8 (12): e1003110 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003110

Last edited by a moderator:
Rapid Evolution in Real Time
On islands off the coast of Florida, scientists uncover swift adaptive changes among Carolina anole populations, whose habitats were disturbed by the introduction of another lizard species.

For most of its existence, the Carolina anole (Anolis carolinensis) was the only lizard in the southwestern U.S. It could perch where it wanted, eat what it liked. But in the 1970s, aided by human pet trade, the brown anole (Anolis sagrei)—native to Cuba and the Bahamas—came marching in. In experiments on islands off the coast of Florida, scientists studying the effects of the species mixing witnessed evolution in action: the Carolina anole started perching higher up in trees, and its toe pads changed to enable better grip—all in a matter of 15 years, or about 20 lizard generations.

In a paper published in Science today (October 23), Yoel Stuart of the University of Texas at Austin, Todd Campbell from the University of Tampa, Florida, and their colleagues discuss what happened when the two species converged upon the same habitats.

“It’s a cool paper and I am excited by it,” said Daniel Simberloff, a professor of ecology at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, who was not involved in the study. “It confirms a couple of theories that I’ve been interested in: rapid evolution and character displacement.”

When closely related species compete, they may evolve to become different from one another. Called “character displacement,” this process can result in evolutionary changes that reduce further interactions between the species. A. carolinensis and A. sagrei have similar ecologies and occupy similar habitats—they both live on trees and eat insects. So it was no surprise that both were changed by their meeting. ...

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles. ... Real-Time/

Last edited by a moderator:
And while we're on the subject of accelerated evolution, from Alternet.Org:

Humanity’s Ticking Time Bomb: How the Chemical Age Spun Evolution Out of Control

Human activity is influencing the genetic world in unexpected and dangerous ways, Emily Monosson tells Salon.

October 26, 2014 | Hey, creationists, wrap your minds around this: Not only is evolution definitely a thing, it’s happening all around us — and at an incredibly rapid pace. The growing threat of antibiotic resistance, the need for new genetically modified crops after our old herbicides stopped being so effective, the resurgence of bedbugs: these are all examples of what biochemical toxicologist Emily Monosson calls “evolution in the fast lane.”

Another scary story just in time for Hallowe'en.

Best fits here imho.

Life above 3000 meters is tough. Not only can the thin air cause gasping and fatigue, but it can also swell brains and fill lungs with fluid, sometimes fatally. Yet people have been living at high altitudes for thousands of years in places like the Andes and the Tibetan Plateau. Now, a group of researchers believes it has identified a key tool that allowed Tibetans to settle at higher and higher elevations: barley.

The Tibetan Plateau, which encompasses the Himalaya Mountains and stretches across 2.5 million square kilometers, seems like a place that would have resisted human settlement. Yet archaeologists know that nomadic hunter-gatherers likely lived there seasonally and possibly year-round by at least 10,000 years ago. How and when agriculture—and the more settled lifestyle it requires—made its way to the higher reaches of the region remained mysterious. To begin to answer the question, a team of Chinese, American, and British researchers reviewed data from past excavations, some of which were conducted as far back as the 1970s. From 53 sites at various elevations and time periods, they managed to collect 63 samples of charred grains suitable for radiocarbon dating.

The new dates yielded an interesting pattern. Before 3600 years ago, farming appears to have been limited to 2500 meters and below. Far and away, the most abundant grain at these sites was millet, which had long been planted across northern China. Then, about 3600 years ago, farmers started climbing higher and higher up on the plateau, reaching as far as 3400 meters above sea level. So what changed?

The researchers think the plateau dwellers got their hands on some barley seeds. Compared with millet, barley is especially tolerant of cold and frost, making it ideal for high-elevation farming in Tibet, as Washington State University archaeologist Jade d’Alpoim Guedes pointed out in previous studies ...

http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeology/ ... 400-meters

Paleo study shows how elevation may affect evolution
Date:
June 3, 2015
Source:
Brown University
Summary:
About 34 million years ago, global temperatures took a dive, causing a sudden wave of extinctions among European mammals. In North America, however, life went on largely unscathed. A new study explains why: the rise of the Rocky Mountains had forced North American mammals to adapt to a colder, drier world.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150603083334.htm

Tibetans Are Related to a Now-Extinct Human Species

Tibetans retain DNA from a species of human that they ironically helped push to extinction, according to a new study published in the journal Nature.

The gene allows Tibetans to adapt to high altitudes of 15,000 feet or more, researchers found.

“We have very clear evidence that this version of the gene came from Denisovans,” said principal author Rasmus Nielsen, a Berkeley professor of integrative biology, in a press release. Denisovans were a mysterious human relative that went extinct 40,000-50,000 years ago, around the same time as the more well-known Neanderthals, under pressure from modern humans.

“This shows very clearly and directly that humans evolved and adapted to new environments by getting their genes from another species,” Nielsen said.

That’s significant because it means we are all probably mutts, descended from more than one species of human. Homo sapiens didn’t just evolve and somehow lead to all modern humans today.Homo sapiens instead interbred with other species seemingly wherever they met, from Africa to Europe to, in this case, Asia.

What’s new and particularly interesting about this study is that it’s the first time a gene from another species of human has been shown unequivocally to help modern humans adapt to their environment.

http://news.discovery.com/human/gen...social&utm_source=app.net&utm_campaign=buffer

Fifty years worth of evolution in a fish

www.adn.com/article/20160122/few-alaska-fish-1964-earthquake-spurred-rapid-evolution

It's a pretty long article, more at the link above
"Species normally evolve gradually in a process that unfolds over thousands -- sometimes millions -- of years. But scientists say they have discovered an Alaska fish population that appears to have transformed in the last 50 years -- a lightning-quick transformation, at least by evolutionary standards.

The changes happened after the [URL='http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/events/alaska1964/']1964 earthquake
, the most powerful ever recorded in the United States, rearranged terrain around Southcentral Alaska and abruptly changed the habitat of some of the region's threespine stickleback, a small, widely distributed fish.

When the quake lifted parts of Prince William Sound and the Gulf of Alaska by as much as several meters, it created freshwater ponds on several islands.

The stickleback that found themselves in those new ponds adapted rapidly when their habitat changed from saltwater to fresh, according to a new study by scientists from the University of Alaska Anchorage, University of Oregon and
other institutions. The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."[/URL]

Scientists have long thought that the rate with which mutations occur in the genome does not depend on cultural factors. The results of a current study suggest this may not be the case. A team of researchers from France and Germany analysed more than 500 sequences of the male Y-chromosome in southern African ethnic groups living as farmers and in population groups engaged in traditional hunter-gatherer activities. The study found that the agriculturalists had a comparatively higher rate of change than the hunter-gatherers did. The researchers explain this by the significantly older average age of paternity among the agriculturalists. Furthermore, the study finds a much older age for the most recent common ancestor of the human Y-chromosome than was previously assumed.

By sequencing stretches of the Y-chromosome of 500 African males, scientists have been able to show for the first time that the chromosome, which is inherited only in the paternal line, changes at different speeds in different population groups. The researchers compared, on the one hand, members of the Khoisan ethnic groups who traditionally live as hunter-gatherers and, on the other hand, speakers of a Bantu language living in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia who have long worked as farmers.

Interestingly, the different mutation rates can be explained by cultural differences between the two population groups: men from farming societies tend to have children for a longer period of time, leading to an older average age of fathers and a higher mutation rate than is typical for men from foraging societies.

"On average, paternal age in southern African foraging societies is 36 years, and 46 years in southern African agriculturalist societies", explains Chiara Barbieri, scientist at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History and one of the lead authors of the study. "A 15-year increase in age of paternity results in a 50% increase of mutations – so these differences in lifestyle can have a huge impact on the rate of change of the Y-chromosome. ...

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-genetics-reveals-impact-lifestyle-evolution.html

PEOPLE in a south American desert have evolved to detoxify potentially deadly arsenic that laces their water supply.

For settlers in the Quebrada Camarones region of Chile’s Atacama desert some 7000 years ago, water posed more than a bit of a problem. They were living in the world’s driest non-polar desert, and several of their most readily available water sources, such as rivers and wells, had high levels of arsenic, which can cause a variety of health problems.

The arsenic contamination here exceeds 1 microgram per litre: the highest levels in the Americas, and over 100 times the World Health Organization’s safe limits. There are virtually no alternative water sources, and yet, somehow, people have survived in the area. Could it be that arsenic’s negative effects on human health, such as inducing miscarriages, acted as a natural selection pressure that made this population evolve adaptations to it? A new study suggests this is indeed so.

The body uses an enzyme called AS3MT to incorporate arsenic in two compounds, monomethylarsonic (MMA) acid and dimethylarsinic (DMA) acid. People who metabolise arsenic more efficiently convert more of it into the less toxic, more easily expelled DMA. ...

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-to-drink-water-poisoned-with-deadly-arsenic/

After Man is being republished, a thought provoking article about it's subject matter.

Wild Speculation: Evolution After Humans
Lucy Jakub

In this era of ecological collapse and cascading extinctions one feels a desire, latent in our species, to see the world become wild again. The only way, it seems, is to take the long perspective: knowing that someday, after we are gone, the earth will again host rich biodiversity. Time heals all wounds—even if it will take millions of years.

For insights on the scale of millions of years, we turn to geologists, whose specialty is mapping the cycles of the earth through deep time. This year, Breakdown Press republished After Man, a book by the Scottish geologist Dougal Dixon that imagines how other species will evolve after humans go extinct, fifty million years in the future. It’s a premise that has aged well, as anxiety over our long-term damage to the planet grows; the book has been reissued a dozen times since its publication in 1981. Reading it today, it has itself become a time capsule of an earlier period of environmental and scientific thought. In 1981, geologists had not yet proposed that we are living in a new epoch defined by human activity, the Anthropocene; climate change was popularly understood not in terms of warming, but of a coming ice age; the specter of a sixth mass extinction, the sort Dixon’s book is premised on, did not seem to loom on the horizon as it does today. Yet science writing was “riding a wave of popularity,” according to a New York Times headline of that year; a mainstream market for nonfiction by scientists, not just popular science writers, was flourishing, buoyed by figures like Carl Sagan and Richard Leakey.

Dougal Dixon’s field was zoogeography, and as a geologist he spent a lot of time thinking about how the changing earth has altered the species that live on it. His future earth, continental drift aside, looks basically unchanged after fifty million years. It’s an almost nostalgic vision: the megafauna that were driven extinct during the “Age of Man” have been replaced by new species that bear an uncanny resemblance to their predecessors. Humanity’s enduring legacy is not its alteration of the environment—Dixon purposely keeps the climate similar to today’s—but that the extinctions we have precipitated will have left behind an array of empty niches, to be filled by whatever adaptable species are able to take advantage of them. Imagine a game of biogeographical musical chairs in which penguins have evolved comb-like beaks to sieve plankton as whales do, rats have replaced the big cats as dominant carnivores, cats swing through the tropical canopy chasing monkeys, and monkeys glide on flaps of skin like flying squirrels. The book’s central idea is convergent evolution: that similar traits arise independently in different species, to perform similar functions in similar environments. ...

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/..._term=Wild Speculation Evolution After Humans

I hope they republish Man After Man too; that's my favourite of the two, and it's going for stupid money online (I borrowed it from the library, years and years ago).

Whistling Jack wrote:

Butterfly shows evolution at work
th_33342__43996128_butterfly_science203b_122_484lo.jpg
Here's the missing photo from the BBC article ...

_43996128_butterfly_science203b.jpg

Last edited:
Back