• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Expert Gives Another Translation Of Ancient Khark Inscription

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
I couldn't find any previous postings regarding this here. But please amalgamate threads if there is one. The site is an Iranian one.

Expert gives another translation of ancient Khark inscription

TEHRAN, Nov. 27 (Mehr News Agency) -- An expert on ancient languages has come up with a different translation of the newly discovered stone inscription found on Khark Island in the Persian Gulf, the Archaeological Research Center of Iran (ARCI) reported in a press release published on Tuesday.

"(This) land was a dried area with no water; (I) brought happiness and welfare, Bahana… water wells," is the text of the inscription, as deciphered by an expert of the ARCI Rasul Bashshash.

Bahana is a name, probably of a king, who issued a decree for the development and cultivation of the area.

The cuneiform inscription, which has been etched on a piece of uneven rock encrusted with corals, was discovered in mid-November during a road construction project. The rock, measuring 85x116cm, has become detached from its original terrain.

The artifact is believed to date back to the late Achaemenid era.

According to Bashshash, the words have been written carelessly in two sections divided by an irregular horizontal curved line. The top section bears three lines of horizontal writing and the lower section carries two lines of writing. The lines of the inscription are spaced at a distance of 8 centimeters from each other.

In addition, several phonetic signs have been carved in a scattered manner on the inscription.

New translation differs from previous version

A previous translation of the inscription, which was published by another expert on ancient languages Reza Moradi Ghiasabadi last week, greatly differs from the new version.

According to Moradi, the inscription comprises six words on six different horizontal lines.

Only the first word, meaning "was" or "were", has frequently been observed in ancient Persian inscriptions and the other five words are new discoveries.

The artifact has three crown-shaped motifs inscribed in a side-ways fashion in the middle of the inscription and also at the beginning of the third and fourth lines. The motifs are similar to the crowns of the Sassanid kings.

He said that the discovery may add five words to our knowledge of the ancient Persian language.

He has also cited some points which throw doubt on the authenticity of the inscription: careless and fast writing -- which is not commonly observed in previously discovered Achaemenid inscriptions -- slight layers of sediment on the edges and insides of the letters, multi-typography style of the inscription, unknown words and the use of strange motifs resembling the Sassanid kings' crown on an allegedly Achaemenid artifact.

... Payvand News - 11/28/07 ...

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/nov/1262.html

The original source of the story is here:
http://www.mehrnews.com/en/NewsDetail.a ... sID=594571

Heres an update, this times its spelled Kharg.

Newly Found Old-Persian Cuneiform Inscription of Kharg Island Deciphered
Source: Iranian Cultural Heritage News Agency

Rasool Bashash, linguist and expert in ancient inscriptions of ICHHTO's Research Center on Linguistics, Inscriptions, and Texts reports on his latest findings regarding the Cuneiform Inscription found recently in the Persian Gulf Island of kharg.

Following my first concise decoding of the Kharg Island newly found cuneiform inscription, now I find it necessary again to give, in detail, my own comments and suggestions in English. First of all, it is our duty to mention that the first person who informed the Linguistics, Inscriptions, and Texts Research Center (LITRC) about the appearance of this inscription was revered Prof. Dr. Sarfaraz, whom we should profoundly appreciate for his opportune attention.

Immediately, being informed on November 14th, 2007, I was given a mission to see the inscription. Therefore, the next morning on Thursday, November 15th, I took a flight to Kharg and arrived in there at around ten o'clock. There I was accompanied to the site of the inscription by some state officials including Mr. Heydari, the Governor, and Mr. Jazebi, the Deputy Governor of Kharg, along with the representatives of the Iranian Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts, and Tourism Organization (ICHHTO) in Bushehr, and Prof. Sarfaraz, and two other local archaeologists, Mr. Bazyar and Mr. Ebrahimi. There I gathered all the necessary information and needed provisions and returned to Theran, to read the inscription.

As it has already been mentioned the inscription is carved on a coral rock in Old Persian semi-syllabic cuneiform signs. Despite the usually well-ordered regular system of Achaemenid inscriptions, this one is in an unusual order written in five lines. The first three lines are separated with a space of 8cm from the second two lines which are very awkwardly engraved.

Of course, the cuneiform signs of the syllables are very well and correctly engraved. Except for the abovementioned peculiarities, there are two other engraved signs between the text. One is a three-angled crown-looking sign at the beginning of the third line, and the other is a curved scratched line between the third and fourth lines which is proceeded in below coming paragraphs.

The below coning tentative decoding of the inscription was carried out through referring to almost all Persian rock and artifact inscriptions, while studying, at the same time, the other contemporary and coincidental Elamite and also some Avestan, the Old Persian's closest cognate language texts.

Transliteration Transcription

1 a ha .ha
2 sa a na . .a a s.na . ..
3 za ha ma i vazahamai
4 ba ha na ma . bahanama
5 xa a x.

Translation

"The not irrigated land was (became) happy

(with) my bringing out (water).

Bahana wells"

COMMENTARY

The only one word in the first line is .ha from the radical .ah1, "to be, to become, …", impf. 3rd sg, "was, became".

The second line contains two words. One is read as sa a na > s.na. This word was not found in any of the Old Persian cuneiform texts, but in Achaemenid Elamite (Persepolis Fortification Tablets), either sa-a-in or sa,-in and sa-a-na (PF572:7f;9500:10) are attested and are translated as "not irrigated land", which serve as qualification of grain, in contrast to HAL.A, meaning "place (of) water", or "irrigated land". The second word reads as .. from the ..y. is an adjective meaning "happy, glad".

The third line, as mentioned, begins with a fallen three-angled crown-looking engraved shape. Actually, it shouldn't be a real crown, but I prefer to discern it a corruption of the cuneiform sign for the syllable va, and later manipulated into the shape of a crown. Therefore, I suggest a transliteration of the corrupted and broken third line as va za ha ma i > vazahamai, a noun with enclitic first person possessive pronoun: vazah n. from the verb .vaz, meaning "to bring, to offer, to flow". Vazahamai; "my offer, my flow".

The fourth line can either be read as the name of a person, transliterated as ba ha na > bahana, with the accusative (-ma), or it can be matched with an Elamite word read as pa ha nu, meaning "prince".

The last line consists of one word transliterated as xa a > x., which is a noun plural (NP), nominative and accusative of substantive xan, meaning "wells, quells".

Research Institute to the Iranian Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts, and Tourism Organization

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/dec/1110.html

Back