• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Faking it: Tears of a Crime

ChrisBoardman

Justified & Ancient
Last night I watched this show on some satellite channel and it was all about body language experts examining footage of murderers like Tracie Andres, Ian Huntley and various others as they appealed to the public to help catch the miscreant (I've seen Mick Philpott on a similar program).

It showed how all their mannerisms and body language was fake.

But I thought the program was a complete con, it's easy to play the colonel after the war.

People have different personalities and different levels of confidence. Some people can lie convincingly, others are nervous when telling the truth.

Strangely the program never covered people appealing for help who were actually honest victims.

Did anybody see it and agree with me?

I didn't see it but have to agree with your points .. it's also become a cliche when someone is convicted in court and is reported as showing no emotion as they are led away .. maybe that person is just in shock at the verdict ..

There's a thing about 'micro-expressions', where a film still is isolated of a person's face showing what's purported to be an image of what they're really thinking. They change expression so quickly, the story goes, that the naked eye will miss the incriminating look but the camera never lies!

I'm not convinced. It's all subjective.

I didn't see it but have to agree with your points .. it's also become a cliche when someone is convicted in court and is reported as showing no emotion as they are led away .. maybe that person is just in shock at the verdict ..

Very good point, an innocent person convicted would be in a greater state of trauma than a guilty one.

Very good point, an innocent person convicted would be in a greater state of trauma than a guilty one.

Also,when a normally non-violent person commits a serious assault or homicide (usually under extremes provocation) the incident can be traumatic for them too. They may be in shock for a long time.

Last night I watched this show on some satellite channel and it was all about body language experts examining footage of murderers like Tracie Andres, Ian Huntley and various others as they appealed to the public to help catch the miscreant (I've seen Mick Philpott on a similar program).

It showed how all their mannerisms and body language was fake.

But I thought the program was a complete con, it's easy to play the colonel after the war.

People have different personalities and different levels of confidence. Some people can lie convincingly, others are nervous when telling the truth.

Strangely the program never covered people appealing for help who were actually honest victims.

Did anybody see it and agree with me?

If it's the one I'm thinking of (and this is relying on my terrible memory) there's a bit at the beginning showing appeals that look terribly fake but are actually genuine. I seem to remember one man who seems to be on the verge of laughing or smiling, but is a genuinely shocked and grieving person. Interesting show.

Also,when a normally non-violent person commits a serious assault or homicide (usually under extremes provocation) the incident can be traumatic for them too. They may be in shock for a long time.

Or in some cases might not even remember some details, so seem vague or confused. Again, interesting stuff.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (and this is relying on my terrible memory) there's a bit at the beginning showing appeals that look terribly fake but are actually genuine. I seem to remember one man who seems to be on the verge of laughing or smiling, but is a genuinely shocked and grieving person. Interesting show.

It was a different one, but I have seen that one also.

Back