• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Family Curses

A

Anonymous

Does anyone have any good stories - ideally with evidence - of family curses, ideally associated with ireland, and ideally running fror 3 or more generations? I would love to hear from you

cht~ said:
Does anyone have any good stories - ideally with evidence - of family curses, ideally associated with ireland, and ideally running fror 3 or more generations?/quote]

Do the Kennedys count?

There is the family that own the estate at Melbury Bubb near where I grew up. The story goes that a gypsy asked the family if she could visit the church on the estate back in 1700 some time. She was told to clear off. She decided to put a curse on the family that all men would die before the age of 30. To this date this is true. Some have died in accidents, some from illness and some by their own hand.
My father used to work on the estate and was very friendly with the current lady of the manor when she was a young lady. (nudge nudge, wink wink. say no more)

My Manx Grandmother insisted that there was a curse on our family, and that the first-born child of our family would always die in infancy.

This was certainly true of her firstborn, my Dad's elder brother who died very young (around 18 months old)

And my Mum had a miscarriage before I was born.

Whether this went further back though the generations I couldn't say; and it always seemed probable that infant mortality would have been higher going back 2 or 3 generations anyway.

Evidence against all this, My sister's eldest is now 9 years old, but then, being married she has a different surname. So whether "our" family curse would follow her I don't know.

Back