• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

When will macrame' make a comeback?

fashion2.jpg

When will macrame' make a comeback?

Was it ever really 'in' for male fashions? There was a surge of macramé popularity in the USA during the Seventies. Except for the occasional poncho or vest (inevitably gifted by a craft-oriented mother or lady friend) and small accessory items (e.g., belts or scarves) I don't recall young men wearing many macramé items even then.

It's apparently still popular for women's fashion pieces - particularly exotic or accessory items.

Go look at the Gerry Anderson series "UFO", set in 1980. The men on the SkyDiver submarine-aircraft wore mesh tops. Alas, while women also served, their tops were mesh but with an underlayer. (Naughty young me back then! :angel: )
Someone showed me a page of camel toes from that series. :sherlock:

Was it ever really 'in' for male fashions? There was a surge of macramé popularity in the USA during the Seventies. Except for the occasional poncho or vest (inevitably gifted by a craft-oriented mother or lady friend) and small accessory items (e.g., belts or scarves) I don't recall young men wearing many macramé items even then.

It's apparently still popular for women's fashion pieces - particularly exotic or accessory items.
You're thinking of crochet, not macramé. The models in the photo are wearing crochet.

Some of Queen Amidala's headdresses (Star Wars) feature crochet.

Queen Amidala's head dresses were based on mongolian ones.

That sweater with just sleeves and neck mentioned earlier? A colleague is wearing that today.

Are you NOW telling me that macrame' was never fashionable??? :hahazebs:
I was about to leap on and tell you that those 'things' were crochet! I have a daughter who both crochets and does macrame. Thankfully she has never confused items of attire with items of plant-hanging ability.

Exactly. Hence why we'll keep the photos just between us!

If you wish to keep the photos private, please advise the rest of us how we can unsee them ...
:evillaugh:

I was about to leap on and tell you that those 'things' were crochet! I have a daughter who both crochets and does macrame. Thankfully she has never confused items of attire with items of plant-hanging ability.
There is no reason why she can't macrame—and wear—clothing that incorporates plant-hanging ability. Dare to be a trend setter.

There is no reason why she can't macrame—and wear—clothing that incorporates plant-hanging ability. Dare to be a trend setter.
I shall suggest it! Everyone, rush out and buy shares in Spider Plant Jackets and Begonia Trousers.

I was looking for something else and came across this vintage fashion advertising blurb—the blurb is vintage, the fashion was modern for its time:

"Paris decrees dull fabrics—opaque color, absence of sheen! At those exclusive gatherings where styles are set and smartness and breeding go hand and hand, flat crepe is the fabric. Its lovely dull texture gives sophisticated accent to the softness of the new pastel colors."
From the New Yorker, March 2, 1929 (price 15 cents).

Yeah, absence of sheen and lovely dull go with smartness and breeding, every time! :D

Look, I've got enough on worrying about my double chin without worrying about whether I can get a scarf around my buttocks as well.

Good Lord, that's one hell of a sentence.

I've heard it suggested that So-and-so Location Fashion Weeks not only showcases future trends in general wear for outlet buyers but also to demonstrate the designers capabilities with material, their potential for innovation and imagination.
And then such presentations persuade me it's just a lot of rich people being pretentious.

I've heard it suggested that So-and-so Location Fashion Weeks not only showcases future trends in general wear for outlet buyers but also to demonstrate the designers capabilities with material, their potential for innovation and imagination.
And then such presentations persuade me it's just a lot of rich people being pretentious.

Yup, 'Fashion Week' shows are about that. There are many other shows for the various categories of Ready to Wear like women's and men's wear, children's clothing, sportswear, workwear etc, but they're dull by comparison. Nobody outside the fashion business is interested in them.

Yes, a lot of that stuff at fashion shows is just for shock appeal, PR and 'art'. It's not about fashion at all.

Back