• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

In the past, I've used a headband or a hairclip but usually when I'm cooking or painting or whatever. Not a fashion choice but practicality.
No different from putting a bandana, really, though some blokes do this to either pretend they're a young biker/musician or to hide hairloss.
I once worked with a guy who had had a severe electric shock and lost his hair at the front, so he wore a bandana.
He looked like an L.A gang member, but was one of the funniest guys I've ever met.

I know a fair few guys (my eldest son and my son in law for two) who have very long hair, shaved at the sides and then they tie up the long bit into a kind of man-bun but not quite, for day to day wear. They have their hair down when they aren't working or are just chilling. When their hair is up they look very Viking, but when it's down it just looks a bit...odd. Sometimes they plait the long bit. To be fair they both have quite informal jobs and work with young people so it probably fits in just fine, but I find myself wanting to say 'either grow ALL of it, or cut it off!'

But I don't, obviously. I may be an Old Fogey, but I'm a fogey who has learned to keep quiet about Fashion.

My hair is very long. During Covid I started covering it so it didn't get coughed/sneezed on and need washing every day.
Also, hair sneakily moves around and tries to touch my food. Yuk.

I use jazzy head-tubes of my own design. Some have Aertex-Type panels to let the fresh air in. I don't think I'd be recognised without one now.

I know a fair few guys (my eldest son and my son in law for two) who have very long hair, shaved at the sides and then they tie up the long bit into a kind of man-bun but not quite, for day to day wear. They have their hair down when they aren't working or are just chilling. When their hair is up they look very Viking, but when it's down it just looks a bit...odd. Sometimes they plait the long bit.
Yes. There are hairstyles that, when you don't want to do them up, look funny. Most of these, I think, involve the shaved styles.

A friend of mine tried the shaved shorter sides with a short cut. It looked nice. She had it very briefly because it needed a lot of upkeep.

There are people who have gorgeous long hair.

In the past, I've used a headband or a hairclip but usually when I'm cooking or painting or whatever. Not a fashion choice but practicality.
No different from putting a bandana, really, though some blokes do this to either pretend they're a young biker/musician or to hide hairloss.
I think that look is officially called the "Bret Michaels". He must get hot wearing that all the time.
635513265011400316-GTY-489943117-64181118.jpeg

When did they go away?:omg:

I think they disappeared here for maybe a decade. Just about 6 months ago, I overheard two teen girls discussing what a mullet was. They described it incorrectly and I spoke up and explained what a mullet is. It has come around again:chuckle:
There's a lad in my town who's got a full on 80's mullet, not one of those head shaved at the sides mullets that some travellers had in the early 90's. He also not long ago had a large mole lasered off the end of his nose. I felt a bit sorry for him because it was almost impossible to maintain eye contact before when you'd chat with him. You're eyes were just drawn to his nose mole. You can still slightly see where it was but I reckon he's gone for the eye catching haircut as a distraction.

There's a lad in my town who's got a full on 80's mullet, not one of those head shaved at the sides mullets that some travellers had in the early 90's. He also not long ago had a large mole lasered off the end of his nose. I felt a bit sorry for him because it was almost impossible to maintain eye contact before when you'd chat with him. You're eyes were just drawn to his nose mole. You can still slightly see where it was but I reckon he's gone for the eye catching haircut as a distraction.
I've got a customer, he's a young man (well, to me he's young, he's probably mid twenties, so a grandad to some of you whippersnappers). He has always, since leaving school had this...hairstyle that I have to call a mullet because otherwise it's just odd. It's shoulder length at the back, and quite curly, but at the sides and front it's cropped quite short. Approaching he looks smart but walking away he looks as though he's got artificial hair stuck to the back of his head.

But I suppose he likes it, and that's what matters.

We might have Stranger Things to thank for the "fashionable" return of the mullet and other things 80s.

I noticed a younger guy in my office always pulls his bangs up off his forehead tied up with a rubber band. So it looks like a horn at the top front of his head. No effort and it looks absurd. He does this every day. I don't get why he doesn't just get his bangs cut. Also, they make clips for that.
Maybe he wants to be a unicorn.

Back