• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fat Lesbians

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Hot on the heels of the faux-research into Aids-seeking Gay men this little gem finds that Lesbians are at more risk of contracting heart disease than heterosexual women as they are more overweight:

Lesbians 'have higher heart disease risk'

Lesbians are generally fatter and have a higher risk of heart disease compared to other women, a study suggests.
Researchers in the United States based their findings on a study of 324 lesbians living in California.

They believe the differences may be linked to the fact that the lesbians they studied were less concerned about their weight compared with other women.

They said the findings highlighted the need to encourage lesbians to exercise more and lose weight.

Overweight

Dr Stephanie Roberts and colleagues at the University of California San Francisco questioned an equal number of lesbian and heterosexual women about their weight.

They found that on average lesbian women had a higher body mass index, larger waist and bigger waist to hip ratios compared with the other women.

A high body mass index - a measure of body fat based on height and weight - is associated with an increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and severe chest pain.

Excess fat around the waist has also been linked to an increase risk of heart disease.

In addition, the researchers found lesbian women were more likely to have problems controlling their weight, tending to put on weight, lose it and gain it again quite regularly.

This so-called weight-cycling can also lead to heart disease.

The researchers said the reasons for these differences were unclear.

However, previous studies have found that in addition to being less concerned about their weight, lesbians are also less likely to perceive themselves as overweight.

Dr Roberts said the findings highlighted the need for health education which targeted lesbians specifically.

"Weight control is often perceived as a conventionally feminine behaviour," she said.

"A strategy that de-emphasises traditional feminine values may be the most effective for lesbians."

The study is published in the journal Women's Health Issues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3100702.stm
=================================

Not really 'fresh research' as much as a conjunction of the facts that excessive weight is statistically linked to heart disease and the sample of Lesbians examined here have a greater body weight than the comparable sample of heterosexual women. News? I don't think so.

:rolleyes:

Considering the research was carried out in the US, which has a well-publicised problem with an overweight population in general, I wonder if the results would be the same in, say, Europe?
Also ... how large was the sample group? 324? So, that's 648 women out of a population of ...? :rolleyes:

Are we seeing a right wing, homophobic conspiracy using statistics and the media to enlarge anti-gay sentiment in the general populace?;)

I've always wondered at the stupidity of anyone believing in either poorly-researched statistical studies ("Joe Public" thinking that if it has numbers attached then it must be true) or blatantly biased scientists publicising claims - like scientists paid by the Government to say that a Government decision on scientific policy is true!

And some people wonder why I envisage the general public as a flock of sheep ...:D

It has long been known that where the fat is carried has more of an impact on heart disease than the amount. ie. 'pear' shaped women (carries the weight on thighs and hips) are less likely than 'apple' shaped women (carries the weight around the waist) to suffer from heart disease.
If these 'researchers' were biased against lesbianism, all they would have to do would be to look at their body shape and pick and reject based on that. Voila! you get the results you're looking for.

(how to put this diplomatically)

ot i know
but isnt it better for women to have a "bit of fat" when pregant?

One factor not taken into account is the stress of contantly worrying about your shape and/or weight. Sweeping generalisations aside, women who are happy with their body - regardless of their sexuality - are surely less at risk?

Jane.

mejane said:
One factor not taken into account is the stress of contantly worrying about your shape and/or weight. Sweeping generalisations aside, women who are happy with their body - regardless of their sexuality - are surely less at risk?

Jane.

Depends. Some people who are happy with their bodies (think 'Jerry Springer guests' here) are clearly in mortal danger of either having a heart attack or plunging through the floor into the cellar.

I've never watched Jerry Springer... which of course means that I can't critisize him or his guests.

Obesity is a health-threatening issue, but a bit of body fat so that you don't look like Kate Moss? I'm not gay, but I'm quite happy with my "love handles" thank you very much. Women are supposed to be curved... and I'll stop now before I start to rant about the fashion industry et al ;)

Jane.

mejane said:
Sweeping generalisations aside, women who are happy with their body - regardless of their sexuality - are surely less at risk?

Jane.

Are there any women completely happy with their shape?
Everyone I know wants to be smaller or bigger in some area. Kind of sad really.

It's really the personaty that matters most though, I mean any one with a mental age of about 13 would prefere to have a significant other that they can actully enjoy spending time with rather than haveing some sort of 20 year old pritty boy/ dolly bird with nothing between their ears and who plucks their eyebrows out then draws them back in for example on their arm, if it comes down to a straight choice.

Any way I should really corect the perseption that if you're over weight it means you're going to die of a heart attack. you are only at a high risk if you have high cholesterol levels or high blood pressure. some people who have either of these things are fat but its not being fat that causes the heart attack risk. My levels of cholestorol are low and my blood pressure is advarage as is pulse rate, according to doctors this means that I'm fit and have next to no risk of heart attack, yet most who have met me will attest to the fact that I'm on the portly side. my doctor even says that I'm fitter than most people who are alledgedly at their ideal weight for bmi. so anyone who dose think that there is an ideal bidy size can shove that in their pipe and smoke it :). still I'd like to look a lot thinner :(...

Lord_Flashheart said:
still I'd like to look a lot thinner :(...

Me, too. Mind you, I've recently adopted Porthos as a role model (no, the musketeer, you heathens! :p) so I'm slightly less worried by it.

Lord_Flashheart said:
some sort of 20 year old pritty boy/ dolly bird with nothing between their ears and who plucks their eyebrows out then draws them back in for example on their arm
I know what you meant Flash, and I don't want to trivialise your post, but this just made me laugh so much. :D I'm sorry.

Lord_Flashheart said:
My levels of cholestorol are low and my blood pressure is advarage as is pulse rate, according to doctors this means that I'm fit and have next to no risk of heart attack, yet most who have met me will attest to the fact that I'm on the portly side. my doctor even says that I'm fitter than most people who are alledgedly at their ideal weight for bmi. so anyone who dose think that there is an ideal bidy size can shove that in their pipe and smoke it :). still I'd like to look a lot thinner :(...

Being fit is what is important, it is far better to be fat and fit that to be skinny and unfit.

I am not sure where these "researchers" got their fat lesbians. I know quite a few and I can't think of any fat ones. I am inclined to agree with Stormkhan above, it all sounds a bit homophobic to me.

However, since we have been talking about body image and so on, it does kind of make sense as men are known to be far more shallow (in general, not trying to offend anyone!) about apearance. Therefore perhaps lesbian women are less likely to worry about being a bit over weight. It would also fit in with why gay men are (in general) gorgeous and very fit.

I find it odd that the assumption is that lesbians aren't bothered about body image, because they're not trying to attract men and so are less prone to worrying about such things as heterosexual women. From my experience (I have a few lesbian friends), body image is still a factor amongst lesbians - like everyone else, they're still prone to media pressure and what it is to have the 'body beautiful'. The stereotype that they are all fat is blatantly ridiculous - okay, some lesbians are fat. But, shock horror, so are some heterosexuals.

I am generalising here, but the generic "butch" lesbian (at least the ones I have encountered) do tend to be on the big side.
Anyway, I agree that skinny does not necessarily = fit. There are lots of skinnies at the gym, and despite the fact I am about a stone (Luckily ???? it is fat of the pear variety) over what I should be I am a lot fitter than them as has been shown in numerous exercise classes. There comes a point, however, when being overweight is no longer healthy - it wears out your joints, ligaments, heart, etc., 'coz all of those have to work extra hard. I do believe that mostly being overweight is a lifestyle choice, however, so you have to live with the consequences. I for one, for instance would rather be a stone overweight but drink the red wine and enjoy my food. I have been a stone lighter but that meant denying myself the things I enjoyed despite rigorous exercise. I have also been 4 stones heavier (about 12 years ago) and I can honestly say that I was not healthy - my periods were all over the place, I kept twisting my ankles, etc.

Originally posted by Min Bannister It would also fit in with why gay men are (in general) gorgeous and very fit.

Ooh, could you post that in the archetype thread? Please :) . I'd like to resemble that remark. :D

Gimauche said:
I am generalising here, but the generic "butch" lesbian (at least the ones I have encountered) do tend to be on the big side.

Yeah but the stereotypical butch lesbian isnt what the majority of lesbians look like. They're just the ones that most straight people notice. (I know thats not what you were suggesting Gimauche, I'm just expanding on your comment.)

foxybox said:
Yeah but the stereotypical butch lesbian isnt what the majority of lesbians look like. They're just the ones that most straight people notice. (I know thats not what you were suggesting Gimauche, I'm just expanding on your comment.)

Look, I've seen Chicago / Prisoner Cell Block H, I know what goes on. There is a stereotype of the "butch" lezza, and many people can attest from personal experience that it holds water.

And if people want to lose weight, go on a calorie controlled diet: it's a piece of piss. Tailor your diet to include 1,600 calories a day, then you'll lose 900 a day, which is 6,300 a week, which is two pounds. Not rocket science. Not difficult.

Grumpy Conners

IMO the problem is that too much emphasise is placed on body size, and not enough is placed on exercise (that rhymes).

We are constantly bombarded with TV commercials for products to help us (although mainly women) to lose weight, when the most important point is that people come in all shapes and sizes and as long as you're getting plenty of exercise, and eating a balanced diet it doesn't matter what size you are.

Frankly, I like my women curvy.

Conners_76 said:
Look, I've seen Chicago / Prisoner Cell Block H, I know what goes on. There is a stereotype of the "butch" lezza, and many people can attest from personal experience that it holds water.

Grumpy Conners

:eek!!!!: Easy tiger, I'm not suggesting the butch lesbian stereotype doesnt exist. Stereotypes are only stereotypes cos they are true on some level at least, and there are probably millions of butch lasses out there. However there are even more lezzers out there that are as feminine as the next girl. They're just not so noticable.

Foxy, chasing skirt since 1997.

foxybox said:
:eek!!!!: Easy tiger, I'm not suggesting the butch lesbian stereotype doesnt exist. Stereotypes are only stereotypes cos they are true on some level at least, and there are probably millions of butch lasses out there. However there are even more lezzers out there that are as feminine as the next girl. They're just not so noticable.

Foxy, chasing skirt since 1997.

aye, I know - am in a much better mood now than when I wrote that post!

No, you're right, the old "bull dyke" stereotype is just that, and if you have it in mind it probably gets reinforced with just the slightest of evidence.

Gimauche said:
I am generalising here, but the generic "butch" lesbian (at least the ones I have encountered) do tend to be on the big side...
Not that you'ld notice, they hide it so well with the boiler suits:D (Look, Yitthian, smiley, this is humour).
The most extrovert lesbians in my old home town had a style somewhere between the stereotypical 'Butch' and 'Fem' roles. A strange looking mix of long styled hair, feminine jewellry and full make up with white t-shirts, dungarees and para boots.

Conners_76 said:
aye, I know - am in a much better mood now than when I wrote that post!

No, you're right, the old "bull dyke" stereotype is just that, and if you have it in mind it probably gets reinforced with just the slightest of evidence.

Like the two I saw today; if they weren't, then I am one!

Filcee said:
Not that you'ld notice, they hide it so well with the boiler suits:D (Look, Yitthian, smiley, this is humour).

Boiler Suits? Surely that's going to result in Fat Sweaty Lesbians? (Oh God...;) )

You didn't need to point out the smiley - i'm not a thought nazi - did i miss a joke of yours before?? :)

Further to the 'gay men are gorgeous' debate......can I just say that last year my best friend and myself went to a pub in Old Crompton Street in London (BIG gay area) and by the end of the evening our tongues had to be rolled up and put back in our mouths........

Seemed to be wherever we went, my mate was beseiged by women, I didn't get a look-in all night, except to be asked if I could introduce some love struck bint to him.:rolleyes:
Alright, he was tall, dark, handsome, always well dressed and danced like...a very good dancer(?), but it was bloody obvious he wasn't one for the girls:confused: (His own description of himself was 'camp as a row of pink tents'). Why???

Men who can dance well are very rare and absolutely irresistable.

Blueswidow said:
Men who can dance well are very rare and absolutely irresistable.

I fear i must be common and highly resistable. :(

Back