• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fighters Chase Mystery Contrail

A

Anonymous

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (CNN) -- Fighter jets scrambled in an unsuccessful attempt to investigate a contrail of unknown origin first seen over the Caribbean and later reported over the midwestern United States, the Department of Defense said Thursday.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command scrambled the jets soon after unverified reports were received around 4 p.m. Wednesday that the contrail, seen near the Turks and Caicos Islands, was headed northwest toward the United States, said Lt. Cmdr. Curtis Jenkins, a spokesman for the Colorado Springs-based group.

A contrail is a white trail of condensed water vapor that sometimes forms in the wake of an aircraft.

The jets were scrambled from more than one base and more than one location, he said, though he did not know how many jets or from how many locations.

Commercial airline pilots later reported the contrail over Florida and then over Indiana, after which no more sightings were reported, he said.

The jets attempted to intercept and identify the source of the contrail, but no visual or confirmed radar contact was made, he added.

"I don't know that anybody was predisposed to think it might be some thing or the other," he said. "We don't even know that it was a thing. It was just simply reports of contrails. We don't even know that it was the same one. We had reports from different places and NORAD did its job and tried to find out."

NORAD is coordinating with the Federal Aviation Administration and is continuing to investigate the reports, he added.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Central/11/28/contrail.scramble/index.html

Erm.... all this fuss for a single contrail? :confused:

Well presumably the contrail is attached to a plane, and they didn't know what the plane was...

This story will probably

drift away. They always do when interesting and mysterious.:hmph:

Odd. :confused:

It would be useful to know why they got so agitated about this contrail. Why would anyone report the thing? (Perhaps its just a very long-lived contrail?)

It's all perfectly normal
Unusually long contrail has some worried

An unusually long contrail running east to west across the horizon this morning had some people concerned, but officials said it was a normal aircraft phenomenon.

"Contrails spread out like this many times," said Eric Schminke, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Wichita.

What happens, he said, is that as some planes cruise in altitudes of 35,000 to 38,000 feet high, particularly in colder weather, their contrails can be pushed along and spread out by the jet stream, which can sometimes average 110 to 125 knots.

"That happens a lot," Schminke said. "It's not like we are being invaded by outer space. I think what's happened is that people are quite hyper-sensitive to all the threats on terrorism. These long contrails are fairly common."
- so we can get back to the Christmas shopping.

(But they would say that, wouldn't they... :eek!!!!: )

Am I missing something here? Why would NORAD investigate a contrail? Radar signals, yes, but a contrail? In a country where there are thousands of domestic flights every day?
I've heard of the "chemtrail" conspiracy theory, but for NORAD to get its knickers in a twist over this I really don't get it.

Thats right!!

DD, why? do they chase contrails often? I don't think so . Do they chase unknow fast walkers ,slow walkers. Yes. It was something. Now I'll go finish my Xmas shopping,
:)

Anyone who bothers to look up at the sky pretty much anytime of the day would see odd contrails.

it's the same when I have been up there in passenger jets-there's a lot of them, because of there is a lot of aircraft.

What could be so special about a contrail that they scarmble not just one, but several aircraft from different bases?

And then "fail" to locate something that has already been seen by so many that they scrambled in the first place?

Shades of Mansell?

This story will probably

drift away. They always do when interesting and mysterious.:hmph:
Just the same as the contrails themselves then!
1626529276107.gif

Back