• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fire Sprites

joeosker

Devoted Cultist
My old local pub used to have a folk night on a Tuesday way back in the late 80,s it was always well attended with some quite famous ish acts ,The pub, being an ex Manor house,had three main rooms and two bars one down a few steps were the music was,at the end of the evening the act and most of the folk groovers had left myself and my pal Matt picked up our beers and walked up to the main bar leaving the boss lady collecting glasses,we noticed a thin haze of smoke in the bar ,not that unusual in the 80,s but this had an acrid smell to it,at this point the boss lady comes up from the lower bar ( the bars being connected by a small archway) and sees a pen burning on a small ( but sturdy) wooden shelf next to the bar hatch,we all look at each other ,she thinks we did it ,we know we didn't , but it's well alight and has burned a groove in the shelf. My guess is it was a twit with no brains and a lighter ,but I've since tried to light a pen and it takes a while to catch,so I'm sure the staff would have seen them,

Are you sure the burning object was a pen? Could it have been a pen light (small flashlight shaped like a pen) that self-ignited from (e.g.) a battery fault?

My old local pub used to have a folk night on a Tuesday way back in the late 80,s it was always well attended with some quite famous ish acts ,The pub, being an ex Manor house,had three main rooms and two bars one down a few steps were the music was,at the end of the evening the act and most of the folk groovers had left myself and my pal Matt picked up our beers and walked up to the main bar leaving the boss lady collecting glasses,we noticed a thin haze of smoke in the bar ,not that unusual in the 80,s but this had an acrid smell to it,at this point the boss lady comes up from the lower bar ( the bars being connected by a small archway) and sees a pen burning on a small ( but sturdy) wooden shelf next to the bar hatch,we all look at each other ,she thinks we did it ,we know we didn't , but it's well alight and has burned a groove in the shelf. My guess is it was a twit with no brains and a lighter ,but I've since tried to light a pen and it takes a while to catch,so I'm sure the staff would have seen them,

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

What sort of pen? A biro?

Thanks for the clarifications ... I also agree the most likely explanation was an idiot with a lighter (especially now that I understand the burn damage was localized on the pen's body).

Thanks for the clarifications ... I also agree the most likely explanation was an idiot with a lighter (especially now that I understand the burn damage was localized on the pen's body).
Very similar to a ciggaret being lit and left to burn out

I'm going to bore you all. I have three tiny odd memory fragments from my youth that seem strangely isolated and fortean in character.

One of them is as follows

'I'm in an old fashioned looking sitting/dining room. I'm on my own. Two tiny wee fairy type creatures come out the fireplace and hover in front of me. They are either on fire or are composed of fire.

'Fire sprites' would be a good way of describing them.

This is completely off-topic, but I really like your avatar image of the strange tea/coffee mug, tomxxy2000.

Is it possible that someone (who was perhaps bored and drunk/mischievous) poured lighter fluid on the end of the pen? Hence the speedy combustion... just a thought
Possibly, it was in the good old days of soft pack Marlboro and zippos , it all just struck me as a bit odd,then again being a bit older now ,I've realised that the strangest thing on the planet is probably us ,I did meet a bloke who,with his gang would razor the lapels off guys in leather jackets ,plus another who made sheep noises at men with beards ,it does make you wonder!

Back