• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fireworks: Foolishness, Fails & Fatalities

That was impressive, bet the pollution as sent a third of the US
into a 3 year winter.
:omr:

An Indiana boy was killed while handling fireworks.
11-year-old boy dies from fireworks in Indiana

An 11-year-old Indiana boy died from a fireworks injury on the night before the Fourth of July, authorities said.

Camrynn Ray McMichael of Mt. Vernon was injured at about 9:42 p.m. and died en route to a hospital, the Indiana State Police said Monday.

He was playing with fireworks on Sunday when he was injured and then was "gone ... in the blink of an eye," his mother told ABC Evansville affiliate WEHT in a statement. ...
FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-year-boy-dies-fireworks-indiana/story?id=86184185

Doesn’t tell us much as to how he managed to kill himself with said fireworks..

The autopsy is still pending. Today's a holiday (4th of July), and it won't happen until tomorrow.

That's so we all say "fireworks bad" and treat sparklers in the same way we treat poorly manufactured M-80s.

The autopsy is still pending. Today's a holiday (4th of July), and it won't happen until tomorrow.
Right. Please keep us posted. The normal thing is 'hand blown off' or 'lost eye'. Just wondering how he managed to kill himself.

Right. Please keep us posted. The normal thing is 'hand blown off' or 'lost eye'. Just wondering how he managed to kill himself.

I can't find any online news account with more details. However ...

It would seem the boy's injuries were catastrophic. I found this text posted by ABC affiliate WTVQ (Lexington, Kentucky). It quotes the boy's mother's statement, claimed to have been released to ABC affiliate WEHT (Evansville, Indiana):
"... He was an all around american boy trying to get himself a scholarship to go to college & be in the NFL or NBA. He’s every parents dream of a boy. I had that. And because boys are boys and they play with fireworks he is gone. In the blink of an eye. Literally. I held my sons skull & brain in my hand last night. His beautiful smart brain.”
SOURCE: https://www.wtvq.com/11-year-old-boy-dies-in-fireworks-accident-in-indiana/

This is the only news report I can find in which this passage is quoted. The WEHT website doesn't even mention the mother's statement.

In what may or may not have been a similar incident, a Minnesota teen was killed when a firework exploded in his face.
18-year-old killed by exploding firework in Brooklyn Park

An 18-year-old is dead after a firework reportedly exploded in Brooklyn Park early Fourth of July morning.

Brooklyn Park Police Department says it received a report at 1:30 a.m. of a "firework that had exploded in an individual's face" at a park ...

The 18-year-old was found by police at the scene with "severe wounds to his hands and face," and officers arrived to see the victim's friend performing CPR.

Officers continued life-saving efforts before the 18-year-old was taken by ambulance to North Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. ...
FULL STORY: https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/18-year-old-killed-by-exploding-firework-in-brooklyn-park

I can't find any online news account with more details. However ...

It would seem the boy's injuries were catastrophic. I found this text posted by ABC affiliate WTVQ (Lexington, Kentucky). It quotes the boy's mother's statement, claimed to have been released to ABC affiliate WEHT (Evansville, Indiana):

SOURCE: https://www.wtvq.com/11-year-old-boy-dies-in-fireworks-accident-in-indiana/

This is the only news report I can find in which this passage is quoted. The WEHT website doesn't even mention the mother's statement.
Clearly something catastrophic happened. Just curious as to what.

Fireworks can threaten you even after you've set them off ... This Florida man gathered up the debris from his fireworks activity, put it all in a cardboard box, and stashed the box in his garage without dousing the fireworks' remains with water. The fire that then started in the garage destroyed his house.
Fireworks suspected in blaze that destroyed FishHawk Ranch home

A FishHawk Ranch home was destroyed on the Fourth of July and investigators believe fireworks are to blame ...

Firefighters were called to the home ... at about 9:45 p.m. Monday. A 911 caller said a fire that had started in the garage was spreading through the home.

When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from the home. Fire crews launched a “defensive attack” to protect neighboring structures ...

“Unfortunately, aerial access was unavailable due to overhead obstructions, and access to the rear of the home was difficult, leading to a prolonged firefighting operation” ...

The homeowner rescued two of his three dogs, but one dog could not be accounted for ...

“The occupant disposed of used fireworks believed to be out in a cardboard box in the garage, failing to extinguish them with water,” the news release states. “Investigators believe the heat of the fireworks started the fire in the box, which rapidly spread throughout the garage and the home.”

No one was injured.
FULL STORY: https://www.tampabay.com/news/hills...-in-blaze-that-destroyed-fishhawk-ranch-home/

Black powder (gunpowder) used in pyrotechnics burns suddenly (doesn't actually detonate). So, it propels things very well. I'm wondering if people die not from burns but because a large piece of something was propelled into them. Ugly. I recall an incident at the Goex black powder plant in the late 90s where officials were picking body parts out of trees.

This (apparently drunk) San Antonio man decided to try firing off a mortar-style firework from atop his head. Severe head trauma, exposed brain matter, and almost instantaneous death ensued.

Man lights firework on his head and it explodes into his skull, Texas cops say

A 43-year-old man lit a firework on top of his head, resulting in his near-sudden death in San Antonio ...

Officers in San Antonio were called to a residential area just after midnight on Tuesday, July 5, following the firework mishap ...

First responders found the victim was suffering from severe head trauma, with brain matter exposed from his skull ...

The victim, identified ... as 43-year-old Pablo Ruiz, died shortly after officers arrived ...

Ruiz’ friend, who witnessed the fatal incident, said Ruiz had been drinking when he chose to light the mortar-style firework from the top of his head. Investigators believe it somehow exploded from the bottom of the tube and pierced the top of his skull. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-lights-firework-head-explodes-190858647.html

Someone set off an unspecified large firework in a Minnesota movie theater, injuring multiple people.
Several injured after large firework explodes in Eagan movie theater

The Eagan Police Department is investigating an incident at a movie theater where someone lit a large firework and tossed it inside before leaving.

Just before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, officers were called out to Emagine Theater on Cliff Road on a report of a firework being set off in the theater, a news release from the Eagan Police Department said.

Officers helped paramedics treat several people for minor injuries.

No one is in custody.

"At this time, we do not believe there is a threat to the public," the release said. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.kare11.com/article/news...uries/89-f198a2e4-e8cd-4fca-94d7-ffcbf2c4524c

French Bastille Day firework blast kills boy and sister.​

A seven-year-old boy and his elder sister have been killed during a fireworks display to mark France's national day in the western town of Cholet.
"A rocket exploded in the middle of people," said Mayor Gilles Bourdouleix.

(Many places in France have banned Bastille Day fireworks due to the tinder dry conditions caused by the heatwave covering many parts of Europe this week).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62175760

We are really lucky in that our dog doesn't bother with the sound of fireworks. Some poor animals die from fright. Silent fireworks are long overdue.

We are really lucky in that our dog doesn't bother with the sound of fireworks. Some poor animals die from fright. Silent fireworks are long overdue.
My daughter has to medicate her dogs and the biggest problem is that in her neighborhood fireworks "season" is from Jun through August, then again from mid December through mid January.

It is so wrong in my opinion. A friend if mine lost 2 baby rabbits last bonfire night due to fireworks. There is no reason that they shouldn't be silent.

How can you have a quiet explosion?

My own view is that fireworks need to be banned. Around where I live (I'm the UK) the fireworks start around early October, building up to bonfire night on the 5th Nov, then continue on and off till just after the New Year.

I live in a tower block and last year some kids were firing rockets at the front of the building. I shut the windows but still, the potential for harm or a fire was there. The useless police were called but they never showed up. What's new? It went on for about 20/30 minutes.

Also last year, I don't remember when exactly but it was after bonfire night and near by, a pile of shotgun type fireworks were set off at around 3am. The noise of them exploding was incredibly loud. That went on for about 10 minutes. Each year, the problem gets worse.

It is so wrong in my opinion. A friend if mine lost 2 baby rabbits last bonfire night due to fireworks. There is no reason that they shouldn't be silent.
This discussion takes place at least twice a year, every year, on the local fb page here. All that happens is that one group says what you have said, and the other says you're being a killjoy and you're spoiling the children's fun.

This discussion takes place at least twice a year, every year, on the local fb page here. All that happens is that one group says what you have said, and the other says you're being a killjoy and you're spoiling the children's fun.
I know.

Perhaps the parents and children enjoying the fireworks should take the bodies of dead pets from the affected family and bury them, explaining to the children why they died.

An Indiana boy was killed while handling fireworks.
FULL STORY: https://abcnews.go.com/US/11-year-boy-dies-fireworks-indiana/story?id=86184185

Update #1 ...

Funeral / memorial services have been held for the boy (Camrynn McMichael). His death was ruled accidental by the coroner. I still can't find any news account that provides additional information about how the accident occurred. The only clues I could find confirmed McMichael died as the result of a head injury and it involved a mortar-style firework.

Update #2 ...

Grrrrr ... This fabricated "news" item on an Indian sports-related website:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cul...l-aunt-claims-family-will-never-buy-sparklers

... associates the McMichael death story with the Twitter video I posted on 6 July showing a major accidental ignition of fireworks in a suburban front yard:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...oolishness-fails-fatalities.6398/post-2191356

This is bullshit. :roll:

If you check the Google Street View images from the actual location of McMichael's home (scene of the accident):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/9...7c28a42d9e70f0!8m2!3d37.9388289!4d-87.8928842

... you'll readily see that the late Indiana boy's home neighborhood looks nothing like the one depicted in the Twitter video I posted.

How can you have a quiet explosion?

My own view is that fireworks need to be banned. Around where I live (I'm the UK) the fireworks start around early October, building up to bonfire night on the 5th Nov, then continue on and off till just after the New Year.

I live in a tower block and last year some kids were firing rockets at the front of the building. I shut the windows but still, the potential for harm or a fire was there. The useless police were called but they never showed up. What's new? It went on for about 20/30 minutes.

Also last year, I don't remember when exactly but it was after bonfire night and near by, a pile of shotgun type fireworks were set off at around 3am. The noise of them exploding was incredibly loud. That went on for about 10 minutes. Each year, the problem gets worse.
I'd be happy if fireworks were restricted to licenced displays only.

I'm not a party pooper, and I actually love fireworks, they're beautiful, but they don't need to be as loud as they are (they do add 'things' to make them louder, I remember reading), and I am heartily sick of them going off at random times.

I've been unlucky enough to have animals that are scared of them, and a friend of a friend had to have a horse put down after it ran into a fence; people always say, "oh, you should keep your animals in", but you can't keep all your animals in for the weeks that they're going off. My GSD wasn't afraid of them until someone let one off in a back garden about 20 feet away from us as we were walking past, at 4;30PM on a weekday, three weeks before Guy Fawkes night

I'm also unfortunate enough to live between two houses of firework enthusiasts, they set them off all the damn time, oh it's the 2nd Wednesday in March, time for some fireworks!!! Hey, we're having a barbeque for our son's birthday in August, lets set off some fireworks at midnight!!!

Sick of those people's 'fun' affecting everyone else; I don't even want to think about all the little wild animals, as well as farm animals and pets, and people with PTSD etc, it's so selfish :(

Back