• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fish Fall / Fish Rain History

From Natural History Magazine, a reprint from NOVEMBER–DECEMBER 1921; a nine page article.

Rains of Fishes
A compilation of the evidence that fishes occasionally fall from the sky
By E. W. Gudger

Do fishes fall in rain from the sky? To this question both the layman and the scientist are well-nigh unanimous in giving a negative answer. Recently a level-headed business man and experienced angler grew almost indignant at being asked such an absurd question, and at least one scientific man of my acquaintance has expressed himself equally strongly.

My attention was first called to this subject about eleven years ago on reading De Kay’s account [elsewhere in] this article. It was again forcibly called thereto on my perusing McAtee’s excellent article [also quoted here], in which a considerable number of falls of fishes is recorded. And lastly, my work during the last two and a half years as associate editor with Dr. Bashford Dean of Volume III of the Bibliography of Fishes, now being brought out by the American Museum of Natural History, has, with the completion of the latter part of the synoptic index, brought to my hand all the known literature on the subject. This is herein set forth in the form of chronological excerpts, that the reader may have the evidence before him. ...

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/picks- ... -of-fishes

Back