• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flash just to my left.

tamyu

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reading the thread about flashes reminded me of this -

For the longest time, as long as I can remember, when I would turn a light off I would sort of see a flash to my left. Not *EVERY* time I flipped the switch off, but often enough that it was something normal and nothing I paid attention to. I sort of assumed it was an illusion, visual anomaly, or something like that. It would just be a bright flash, always just out of view to my left, that would happen just as I turned the light off.

Anyway, about a week ago, I turned the light off with my husband looking at me, and he freaked out... Asking me what that flash to my left was. He said that there was a white flash, like a camera flash, next to my head.
We tried to recreate it, but couldn`t.

What on earth was it? I have seen the flash since then, when I have turned the lights out, but I don`t really know when it`s going to happen to have my husband watch me again.
I don`t think it`s electrical, as the switch he saw me at was to my right. Plus, it happens all over the place - not just one switch.

Maybe you're being haunted by something?

Do you wear glasses? Itcould be a reflection of the very corner of your glasses just as the light is being turned off. I can possible conceve that if you stand in the right place, the light reflecting off your glasses, which will bbe just behind the last bit of light from the bulb, could look like a flash.

So do you wear glasses, and does this flash generally happen as you are doing the same thing, walking out of a room, into a room, just passing the switch, or only when you stand still then switch th light off?

Nuffers

I dont know if this helps, but I have been bothered by a bright flash in my bedroom for a few years now. I started to think that I was going a bit mad as I would be lying in the dark half sleeping, half awake and I would notice a bright flash. After about a year I realised that it was the lamp by my bedside - its one of those touch sensitive ones - and it seems to be affected by static in the air and every so often it flashes on and off very quickly. Thats my "flashing" problem solved.......probably doesnt help here tho?

:?

I saw a flash yesterday night, it came from the direction of my bedroom window, It couldn't have been a vehicle because I live at the end of a row of houses surounded by other houses and the curtains were closed, they are, big, thick, black-out type curtains so they don't let in any light at all. :?

Well, I don`t wear glasses, or contacts for that matter, so it sort of eliminates that possibility. I don`t THINK that I`m haunted by something. Or at least I certainly hope I`m not. I HAVE been involved in a real and scary haunting, and I certainly hope it didn`t follow me all the way here.

Anyway, it only happens when I turn the light off. It can be any light in my house. Our house is all ceiling lights, which means that it isn`t a lamp. It`s a wall switch quite a way away from the light itself. Although I do seem to sort of recall this happening too with small lamps - anything that when turned off makes the room go dark. As I said before, I always assumed it was just something to do with the light level change and not anything Fortean.

Phosphenes would be a fair suggestion IF my eyes were shut OR my husband hadn`t seen it also. I do experience flashes when I hear a sound while half asleep, but I seriously doubt that has anything to do with this. I as 100% awake when I turned out the light.

As for the spirit guide - why flash at me?

to let you know they are there...and because they can.

I'm intrigued wombat103.Are they spirits of the dead or are they like guardian angels.I was once told you have to call up your spirit guide by sitting on your own in a room and asking it questions, and then it will be around always.Sorry a bit off subject.

I myself have experienced flashes like yours but no one has seen it next to me.I do sometimes see them when the lights are on too.I've just put them down to eye strain because its always at night.But now i'm not too sure myself. :shock:

Silly question from the Canuckistanian at the back: what are these spirit guides protecting us from, exactly? I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm genuinely curious. :)

Because frankly I think mine are off the job.

imho..

Spirit Guides are entities - - who have chosen to aid others on the path to spiritual enlightenment

You may sometimes see a spark of light before you that blinks in and out for just a second.

Many spirit guides have had incarnations on the physical plane, as well as other realms.

Spirit Guides may remain with you for a lifetime, or come and go depending on your needs.

You can ask a spirit guide to leave if you so chose.

If they really want to make a point they will create a synchronicity in your life so you will sit up and take notice.

wombat103 said:
imho..

If they really want to make a point they will create a synchronicity in your life so you will sit up and take notice.

Has this happened to you these synchronicities? If so what happened? this may answer a few questions for me. ;)

synchronicity can also be called intuition.....how many times have you denied your intuition only to have it bite you on the rear?

Read the classic literature guys - it's all in there ;)

John Keel - The Mothman prophecies

[…] The contactee syndrome is a fundamental reprograming process. No matter what frame of reference is being used, the experience usually begins with either the sudden flash of light or a sound—a humming, buzzing, or beeping.

[…] In short, a light flickering at exactly the right frequency can place the witness in a hypnoticlike trance. He views this as paralysis since he loses control of his limbs for the duration of the trance even though a part of his mind remains conscious. He views the hallucinations of the trance as a continuation of the reality he was experiencing a moment before. Like a normal subject of hypnosis, he loses his sense of time. Time can be compressed or expanded, as in a dream. Events which seem to span several hours are actually hallucinated in seconds or minutes, or the reverse can occur. When he comes out of his trance and looks at his watch he finds that hours have passed even though he thought he only watched the light for a few seconds.

[…] The mechanism—the light flashes—can be subjective, seen only by the percipient, or objective, seen by others and even photographable. The subjective flashes must be caused by radiation which by-passes the eyes and optical nerves and is received directly by the brain. Objective flashes are masses of energy moving through the visible spectrum.

[…] When investigating multiple UFO sightings I am not concerned with the chance witnesses of an objective light. Rather I try to seek out those persons who were directly affected by the light. They rarely report their sighting, either because the accompanying hallucination was so bizarre or so terrifying, or because they simply had no memory of the entire event; they suffered lacunal amnesia.

When I succeed in finding such people I obtain their entire life history and keep in touch with them for a long period after my interview to observe any changes in personality or outlook that may occur. In some cases, rapid deterioration takes place. The percipient has innumerable secondary hallucinations, just as a person who has taken LSD can go on another "trip" unexpectedly weeks later. He can become mentally unbalanced, abandon his family and his work, develop into a fanatic, and, in several unfortunate cases, end up with a nervous breakdown or commit suicide.

On the other side of the coin, some percipients experience a profound expansion of consciousness, a greatly increased IQ, and a complete change of life-style ... for the better.

You should try hypnosis to recover your repressed memories. You might even be a real abductee. This will make you very popular in this forum! :p

"As we live through thousands of dreams in our present life, so is our present life only one of many thousands of such lives, which we enter from the other more real life. Then return to after death. Our life is but one of the dreams of that more real life.

Count Leo Tolstoy

Flashes of light can be signs of retinal detatchment. If anyone's seeing flashing lights I'd go see your eye doctor before anything else. :\

zizzerzazzer said:
Flashes of light can be signs of retinal detatchment.

Or high blood pressure.

wombat103 said:
imho..

Spirit Guides are entities - - who have chosen to aid others on the path to spiritual enlightenment

You may sometimes see a spark of light before you that blinks in and out for just a second.

Many spirit guides have had incarnations on the physical plane, as well as other realms.

Spirit Guides may remain with you for a lifetime, or come and go depending on your needs.

You can ask a spirit guide to leave if you so chose.

I've never liked this explanation of "spirit guides" because, well frankly, the enlightenment that they seem to lead most people towards is not infrequently the most hackneyed of fluffy-bunny new-ageism.

I much prefer the explanation that they are part of a universal phenomenon of consciousness "fragments" that hook into the more complete consciousness of an indivdual or set of individuals in order to better define, maintain, and copy themselves. Sort of like psychic virii. Which would explain why the enlightenment most people achieve with them is alway so mundane: because they are merely bringing to the fore notions of englightenment already implicity in themind(s) of their host(s).

so i take it then,that whenever you have felt instinct/intuition that you have said to your self ..no ..this is wrong because it takes me to..."the most hackneyed of fluffy-bunny new-ageism. ....?"

Back