• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flight 587

A

Anonymous

On Veterans Day of last year flight 587 traveling to the Dominacan Republic crashed shortly after take off.

The media said it was an accident and labelled it 'a crule coincidence'.

Anyone who looks at the facts and takes into account the laws of probibility can see this is not the case.

The federal government is on record as saying the crash was "an accident" ... "some sort of engine failure". This was announced before the black box had been recovered. Which is an unusual statement to make considering they were dealing with an crash that was unlike others....

The engine 'fell off'. This is UNIQUE in aviation history!!

..oh wait, there was one other case...

It happened to Pan Am 103 while it was traveling over lockerbie on the 21st December 1988.

..and then there's Richard Reid. Who failed in his attempts to blow up a plane by being restrained just in time. How unlickly is it that one of his fellow terrorists was aboard Flight 587?

OK, a few more facts...

The plane crashed on Veterans Day.

The plane was (classed as) an internal flight.

The plane left and crashed in New York city.

The plane was a United Airines flight. The same type chosen on September 11th alongside American Airlines. They were chosen for symbolic reasons.

Various witnesses say there were two explosions on board before it went down. If they are to be believed then there is no other explanation than there was a bomb on board.

Official investigators are saying that they can find no evidence of an 'accident' and are claiming there may be a conspiracy to conceal what really happened. (I can't supply you with any more info on this as I heared it briefly on radio 1 newsbeat and have not found any other mention of this story)

Don't know about any of that, except the bit about the engine falling off being "unique" in aviation history. It isn't.

I know of at least one other occurence, which happened a year or so ago outside an airbase in North Carolina. One of the engines from a four engine aircraft just fell off. The plane landed safely.

I remember it 'cause the Air Force spokesman said "at that point the engine departed the aircraft!" Hilarious!

Apparently, some of the survivors of the Twin Towers attacks died when flight 587 crashed.

Here's the story - from snopes .

The accident occurred on Nov. 12, not Veterans Day (Nov 11).

Contrary to the Newsmax story, both thrust reversers were found to be in the stowed postion. (NTSB report)

The cause of the accident was separation of vertical stabiliser (tailfin), possibly as a result of uncommanded rudder action. There have been previous incidents of this on American Airlines A300s.

Pictures of the engines and tailfin.

AdamRang said:
Minor Drag is correct, under certain circumstances engines can fall off planes. My mistake.
One of the DC10's most 'interesting' characteristics, that. I didn' know that A300's fell to bits. Is it only American Airlines? If so, then I shall resume flying everywhere feeling completely secure. Actually, I hate airliners. It's a control freak thing.

:confused: There's an awful ot of mis-information on the internet.:rolleyes:

I'm going to do some more research. I still don't understand why Radio 1 would say the investigators could find no sign of an accident and claimed there may be a conspiracy.:confused:

Even if sabotage wasn't involved (and it still can't be completely ruled out) this was a very disturbing incident. Rudders that move back and forth all by themselves; tailfin coming completely off at a relatively low speed - I'd take the train, but they're even scarier lately.

Adam , FYI Newsmax is a slander sheet published by the right-wing in the U.S. It is best avoided.

I was watching the news when 587 crashed. The reaosn it was called an accident early on was because huge chunks of it were seen to have dropped off BEFORE it started to go down. In fact they even sent people to the gas station where large parts of the plane lay right next to the pumps.

AdamRang said:
Minor Drag is correct, under certain circumstances engines can fall off planes. My mistake.

However...

The evidence still seems to point towards the Flight 587 crash being terrorist related. Here's an interesting article I've managed to find outlining what may have happened.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/12/17/200515.shtml

You should take everything you read on NewsMax with a large grain of salt. In the Chandra Levy matter, they took whatever rumor they could find and made it that day's headline.

Back