• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Floods are judgment on society, say bishops

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Floods are judgment on society, say bishops

The floods that have devastated swathes of the country are God's judgment on the immorality and greed of modern society, according to senior Church of England bishops.

One diocesan bishop has even claimed that laws that have undermined marriage, including the introduction of pro-gay legislation, have provoked God to act by sending the storms that have left thousands of people homeless.

While those who have been affected by the storms are innocent victims, the bishops argue controversially that the flooding is a result of Western civilisation's decision to ignore biblical teaching.

The Rt Rev Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle, argued that the floods are not just a result of a lack of respect for the planet, but also a judgment on society's moral decadence.

"This is a strong and definite judgment because the world has been arrogant in going its own way," he said. "We are reaping the consequences of our moral degradation, as well as the environmental damage that we have caused."

The bishop, who is a leading evangelical, said that people should heed the stories of the Bible, which described the downfall of the Roman empire as a result of its immorality.

"We are in serious moral trouble because every type of lifestyle is now regarded as legitimate," he said.

"In the Bible, institutional power is referred to as 'the beast', which sets itself up to control people and their morals. Our government has been playing the role of God in saying that people are free to act as they want," he said, adding that the introduction of recent pro-gay laws highlighted its determination to undermine marriage.

"The sexual orientation regulations [which give greater rights to gays] are part of a general scene of permissiveness. We are in a situation where we are liable for God's judgment, which is intended to call us to repentance."

He expressed his sympathy for those who have been hit by the weather, but said that the problem with "environmental judgment is that it is indiscriminate".

The West is also being punished for the way that it has exploited poorer nations in its pursuit of economic gain. "It has set up dominant economic structures that are built on greed and that keep other nations in a situation of dependence. The principle of God's judgment on nations that have exploited other nations is all there in the Bible," he said.

He urged people to respond to the latest floods by turning away from a lifestyle of greed to instead live thinking of the consequences of their actions.

Global warming has been caused by people's lack of care for the planet and recent environmental catastrophes are a warning over how we behave, according to the Bishop of Liverpool.

"People no longer see natural disasters as an act of God," said the Rt Rev James Jones. "However, we are now reaping what we have sown. If we live in a profligate way then there are going to be consequences," said the bishop, who has previously been seen as a future Archbishop of Canterbury or York.

"We have a responsibility in this and God is exposing us to the truth of what we have done."

The Rt Rev Richard Chartres, Bishop of London, said: "We are all part of the problem and part of the solution. Instead of living as if we owned the earth we need to recover a sense of being participants in a web of life with responsibilities to other life forms and to our children."

The Bishops' warnings came as flood-hit communities were being warned to brace themselves for more torrential rain this weekend, with the Met Office issuing a severe weather warning for large areas of England and Wales, with up to 50mm (2in) of rain forecast.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ood201.xml

:roll: :roll:

I really don't know where to start although I think I might just batter the first weakling, child or old lady I come across because of these bishop's remarks. In many ways that would be a useful warning from a loving, caring soul.

:?:

Have we all gone back to medieval times?

One diocesan bishop has even claimed that laws that have undermined marriage, including the introduction of pro-gay legislation, have provoked God to act by sending the storms that have left thousands of people homeless.

So is this the prelude to a storm of gay bashing (or bashing anyone the church doesn't agree with)? Bastards.

lupinwick said:
:?:

Have we all gone back to medieval times?

So is this the prelude to a storm of gay bashing (or bashing anyone the church doesn't agree with)? Bastards.

I can't quite understand why they get a hard-on about gays. Sure, it goes against the teachings of the Bible but you'd think that about 90% of the west's sin was cause by what is at most about 10% of the population. How come they don't single out rising knife crime, date rape or identity theft as making God lose the plot? Apparently sins (actually terrifying and real crimes) with non-consensual victims don't need avenging half as much as the ones where the 'victim' actually enjoys it.

Also, why didn't God just make the people in charge of the legislation see things his way for as long as he needed or strike them down rather later than kill indiscriminately in an attack that most of the people he's telling off will describe as 'weather'? :?

Hang on - the C of E blaming licentiousness and the (lack of) the sanctity of marriage?
Have they forgotten the moral behaviour of the Church of England's founder, King Henry "the Lusty"?

I was just thinking the same thing myself, Storm. God's taken his time about his retribution, hasn't he?

I can't quite understand why they get a hard-on about gays. Sure, it goes against the teachings of the Bible but you'd think that about 90% of the west's sin was cause by what is at most about 10% of the population

Wonder if its some sort of mis-placed guilt? Perhaps the bishop has the hots for his cute surfer type organist (male obviously) and can't cope with the feelings so pins all his outrage, angst etc. on some worthless point of doctrine.

In The Anglican Communion you don't normally get this type of rot from CoE or CoI Bishops. Perhaps hes gone a little gaga.

I wonder what Yorkshire's done to offend God? Perhaps Doncaster and Sheffield are the 21st century equivalents of Sodom and Gomorrah (though that seems a little unlikely...)

Timble2 said:
I wonder what Yorkshire's done to offend God? Perhaps Doncaster and Sheffield are the 21st century equivalents of Sodom and Gomorrah (though that seems a little unlikely...)
Oh, I dunno. Sheffield on a Saturday night?

The bishop, who is a leading evangelical, said that people should heed the stories of the Bible, which described the downfall of the Roman empire as a result of its immorality.
:shock: :?

Since Rome's downfall didn't come till centuries after the bible was completed, the accuracy of this statement seems rather suspect! ;)

(There may, of course have been 'prophecies' or wishful thinking about Rome's downfall, but that is a different thing altogether.)

rynner said:
:shock: :?

Since Rome's downfall didn't come till centuries after the bible was completed, the accuracy of this statement seems rather suspect! ;)

(There may, of course have been 'prophecies' or wishful thinking about Rome's downfall, but that is a different thing altogether.)

I thought that myself but then the 'prophecy' argument would counter that. Of course, the fact that the return of Christ prophecised in the same passage never happened would rather contradict that theory but then I thought why bother - the answers will quickly be already written. :roll:

ted_bloody_maul said:
the fact that the return of Christ prophecised in the same passage never happened...

That we noticed. Could've happened on the sly like...

rynner said:

Evangelical. And there we have it. :roll:

That´s two words.

Well, people have been saying this sort of thing about AIDS for years. Which does make more sense than killing people with storms.

Umm... the article only names one Bishop - an evangelical - who thinks this is Gods retribution. This is a typical case of the media warping what has been said to cast a blanket net over a particular group. What really annoys me is that this is probably the Bishops personal oppinion - not a CofE teaching.

The other bishops, James Jones etc... seem to have a good point, we fucked the earth and now we're paying.

Apparently a Liverpool Echo columnist jumped on this article as well, prompting the Rt Rev James Jones to pen this reply.

Bishop’s reply

WHEN your columnist Joe Riley rang my office he said, with charming courtesy to my assistant, that he wanted to get to the truth about reports of my comments.

He was given the reply that will be published this week in the Sunday newspaper: that the headline in the Sunday Telegraph misrepresented me.

I believe that when people lose their lives, others their homes and livelihoods, it is important, pastorally, to say that their disaster is definitely not a judgement of God on them.

That is why I refused to use the language of judgement.

God has created a world of cause and effect. If we change the climate through profligate use of carbon, it is we who bring upon ourselves and others the consequences of reaping what we sow.

You promote Joe Riley as "the man who loves a rant". It is a pity that the serious issues and people to whom he refers should be subjected to such treatment. They deserve more respect from the ECHO.

If your readers would like to know my true views on these important subjects they will find them on www.liverpool.anglican.org.

The Rt. Rev. James Jones, Bishop of Liverpool

From: http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100 ... _page.html

Back