• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flowermen or Trick of the light?

A

Anonymous

Hi! I am new to the board, but a long time subscriber. Had an extremely odd experiance this past tuesday. I live in Coastal Sc, and we are in full bloom right now. My daughter and I were puttering around our raised beds in the yard, turning soil etc. It ws about 10 30a m. We had been in the garden for about 10 mins, when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Because we have cotton mouths here, I told my daughter not to move, and looked closer. We both nealed there with our mouths hanging open. What appeared to be a little man, about 3 inches at most, dark skinned and wearing black/brown clothes ran across the flower bed! I looked at her, she looked at me. I said" did you see that?" SHe said "yup, thats one of the flower mens. Ive seened them before, but they run away." (She is 6) . I laughed it off, and continued weeding etc. I looked up some info on nature spirits etc, but I never believed in things like that, especially not at the carolina seaside. So, did we suffer a joint hallucination or is my garden home to a pigmy race of "flowermens?". Any thoughts are appreciated!

How wonderful!
You could leave stuff out for them - who knows, you might see them again!

Mythopoeika said:
How wonderful!
You could leave stuff out for them - who knows, you might see them again!

or send them packing if the *Brownie* or *Little People* folklore is to be believed ;)

One of my daughters used to see something similar. :D

Put a saucer of milk and honey near the flower patch and see what happens.

I think that's spooky! Old stories about Fairies and pixies can be frightening as they try and HAVE taken people away as 'aliens' 'abduct' now. Just because they're small doesn't mean they're cute. And what does it MEAN to have this paranormal intrusion into reality right inside your world? You may think I'm nuts but then I am talking to people who've seen flowermen right? :shock:

I have never really had any odd encounters or weird events happen to me before this. It was a really what-the-hell?- kind of moment. I was hoping maybe it was some rare crypto-insect or something :D But then, if these little guys are good for the garden, their are welcome to stay.

I agree with chant1 in that you should treat them with extreme caution - there are a lot of stories out there of 'little people' who do a little bit more than mischief.

However, I just love the fact that your six year old daughter just accepts them with a "of course, mummy, didn't you know that' attitude. We adults lose a lot more than our hair by growing old..

I've seen little people quite a few times throughout my life (some of which were also around plants). So this doesn't sound crazy to me at all. As far as "extreme caution" is concerned- beware. It may cause them to leave, or at least keep you from being able to see them. Which I think would be a terrible loss!

dilemma29 said:
What appeared to be a little man, about 3 inches at most, dark skinned and wearing black/brown clothes ran across the flower bed! I looked at her, she looked at me. I said" did you see that?" SHe said "yup, thats one of the flower mens. Ive seened them before, but they run away." (She is 6) .
What a great story. I am probably about to make myself really unpopular here but could it have been a mantid? There are several mantid species to be found in the US, most are green or brown have a leafy or flowery appearance and grow to 3 inches or so.

Some pictures of mantids

Edit. They may well be good for the garden as they eat all sorts of insects.

Edit 2. re. Papa Gallo's post. If it is a mantid, your daughter doesn't need to know. ;)

:) I love mantises... they are fascinating bugs! They're quite intelligent and are becoming popular as pets, I've heard.

I dunno though... I don't see how someone could mistake a mantis for something with a human-like body. Even if it went by quickly... the shape of their heads and the arrangement of their legs is rather unique.

Hestia said:
I dunno though... I don't see how someone could mistake a mantis for something with a human-like body. Even if it went by quickly... the shape of their heads and the arrangement of their legs is rather unique.
I'm not so sure. A few years of investigating things like UFO reports have given me a pretty good idea of just how easy it is to mistake something for something else, especially when you are taken by surprise. :)

I had a pretty good instance of this myself a few years ago. I was on a bus, passing along the coast. I glanced out of the window and saw something on the water with three masts. "Must be a tall ship" thought I and went back out later to look at it. It was a platform used to move some materials being used in making repairs. It actually had four masts but must have been at an angle where I only saw three. It looked nothing like a tall ship! Boring account I know, but my mistakeness impressed me! :D

I would be tempted to go with the theory that whatever you saw was misinterpreted as 'little people' however, as your daughter indicated she had seen them before and the area is near the house why don't you try and rig up some sort of CCTV or web-camera to record the area and leave it running. Should either yourself or your daughter 'see' them again, you can refer to the footage and this should either confirm your sighting or perhaps will show it to be something else completely

Well, I am pretty well versed in the flora and fauna of the area. Unfortunalty, it definently was not an insect, mammal or lizard. I have gone over and over the incident, trying to find a logical identification for what we saw. It waw way to thick to be a mantis or a stick bug. It wasnt a mole cricket or any of the other odder bugs we have here. I can only say, it was a little man, as ridicioulous as it sounds. Maybe i will rig a camera or something. The whole thing is driving me nuts!!!!! But i do thank everyone for the suggestions and comments.

Have you noticed any appliances acting up, especially those that you would use in the yard? An unusual amount of wildlife in your yard or do you or members of your family inexplicably find yourself tired or sleeping alot more than usual? Any sudden feelings of unease when near corners, dark places or hallways? What about around fenceposts or any ponds you may have on your property?

We have a fantastic little pond, and lots of wildlife. Egrets, blue herons,bandit squirrels, small alligator and diffrent types of turtles. No feelings of fatigue, but come to think of it, i always feel uneasy in the outside shed. Stupid, but I run in get what i need and run out. Whatcha thinking it could be shonda?

dilemma29 said:
We have a fantastic little pond, and lots of wildlife. Egrets, blue herons,bandit squirrels, small alligator and diffrent types of turtles. No feelings of fatigue, but come to think of it, i always feel uneasy in the outside shed. Stupid, but I run in get what i need and run out. Whatcha thinking it could be shonda?

You know you just might have faeries or something like that. Some of them like to hide in the dark places and I guess thay they want to be left alone so they give off a presence so to speak of uneasiness that is not quite fear. They may be attracted by the various wild life or may even disguise themselves as them.

Dilemma, welcome to the board.

What a very interesting and curious experience you had.
I have never seen anything like this or even close to it.
Is there anyway you can describe it in more detail...or could you draw it and scan the pic and post it here?

:err: [/img]

P.S.

No feelings of fatigue, but come to think of it, i always feel uneasy in the outside shed. Stupid, but I run in get what i need and run out.

If there were cottonmouths where I lived, I'd feel uneasy too.
In fact, I'd move away! :cry:

Bandit squirrel is a local knickname for the foxsquirrel, which is a large , grey squirrel with a facial mask similar to a raccoon. As far as the cotton mouths are concerned, they leave you alone if you dont bother them. Of course, at this point, i kinda wish it was a cotton mouth :eek: BTW, cotton mouth is another name for a water moccasin.

Drat! I thought it was South Carolina till I looked it up, but it was in North Carolina that the "Mini-Man" was seen, as described in Janet and Colin Bord's Unexplained Mysteries of the 20th Century:

It was also a young boy, eight-year-old Tonnlie Barefoot, who first saw the tiny entity of Dunn, North Carolina (USA), when he was playing in a field of dried cornstalks near his home on 12 October 1976. He saw the little man "not much bigger than a Coke bottle," dressed in black boots, blue trousers, and a blue shiny top, with a black "German-type hat" with a pretty white tie. He seemed to be reaching for something in his back pocket, then froze, squeaked like a mouse, and ran off fast through the cornstalks. He left some footprints 2 1/4 inches long and 1 inch wide with bootmarks in them. On 25 October, twenty-year-old Shirley Ann McCrimmon also saw a little man, as she came home from a party just before daybreak. He wore boots and a thin garment, and his skin was light brown. He shone a tiny bright yellow light across her eyes, and ran away when she screamed.

Boy, thanks for that Amorak. I had never heard that tale from my home state.

dilemma, isn't Dunn down east? Where is that in relation to you?

I read through the ELFEN project site recently and got the impression that North American nature spirits/pixies/faeries/et al are benign in their interactions with humans (with the exception of some larger, trollish beings). If so, this would contrast with the British faeries who have reportedly done some sinister sh*t to people on occasion. Maybe region should be considered when determining how to proceed. Personally, I'm green with envy: :mrgreen: See?

I foound theh ELFEN Project site to be rather frustrating, because I was hoping to be able to read more IHTM-style accounts of interactions.

Leaferne said:
I foound theh ELFEN Project site to be rather frustrating, because I was hoping to be able to read more IHTM-style accounts of interactions.

Me too. I remember wondering if the researcher(s) were citing incidents that furthered their view of the wee folk being innocent nature-lovers who were aghast at Humanitys rape of the enviornment, blah, blah, blah . . . . . I prefer first-hand accounts = less corrupted.

EDIT: I do like the ELFEN project. I'm just saying it seems to espouse an ideology of environmental conservation, so it may not be 100% impartial. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with environmental conservation either! :tongue:

Dunn is several hours away and in land. I live right on the coast. We have the grey ghost, mermaid sightings, and uso sightings, but i havent found anything about fairy folk for this area. I did not know about the dunn incident either. There seems to be alot less info about nature spirits, fairies etc on this side of the atlantic. But by golly, if it take sme forevre, i will figure what the heck we saw. Maybe that is the power of the american wee folk. Let you see them, and drive you crazy trying to figure it out. :D Everyone on this board has given great info and advice and understanding. When i told my friends about it, they thought i was smoking something. So thanks for the support all

dilemma29 said:
When i told my friends about it, they thought i was smoking something.

That would truly be the shit that killed Elvis.

Back