• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Flying Red Sphere Off South Carolina Coast—Multiple Witnesses

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A South Carolina woman says she filmed a possible UFO off South Carolina’s Kiawah Island on Christmas Eve, and other witnesses are stepping forward on social media to report they saw the same “beautiful red sphere.”

“I’m not a nut,” wrote Debra Thompson in a YouTube post with the video. “...I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences in the last few days...It really is quite amazing when you see one that seems to ‘splat’ out of another dimension and change into a round shape.”

Kiawah Island is just off the South Carolina coast, about 25 miles south of Charleston.

Thompson says in the video that she spotted the object about 9:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve as she stood on the deck of her home. One five-minute video shows “an extraordinarily bright and beautiful” red ball as it bounces, stops, fades and then grows brighter.

“What the hell is that?...It looks like fire in the sky,” Thompson says in the video. “That’s so weird. It just seems like it’s observing....I don’t think it’s some kid’s toy and I know it’s not an airplane.”

TV station WCBD posted Thompson’s video on Dec. 27 and reported four days later that the station had “received several emails from people who believe they may have also seen the mysterious object” in eastern South Carolina.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/nor...cle_9283f0dc-5c64-5e71-b4d7-e618776e0755.html

maximus otter

A South Carolina woman says she filmed a possible UFO off South Carolina’s Kiawah Island on Christmas Eve, and other witnesses are stepping forward on social media to report they saw the same “beautiful red sphere.”

“I’m not a nut,” wrote Debra Thompson in a YouTube post with the video. “...I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences in the last few days...It really is quite amazing when you see one that seems to ‘splat’ out of another dimension and change into a round shape.”

Kiawah Island is just off the South Carolina coast, about 25 miles south of Charleston.

Thompson says in the video that she spotted the object about 9:30 p.m. on Christmas Eve as she stood on the deck of her home. One five-minute video shows “an extraordinarily bright and beautiful” red ball as it bounces, stops, fades and then grows brighter.

“What the hell is that?...It looks like fire in the sky,” Thompson says in the video. “That’s so weird. It just seems like it’s observing....I don’t think it’s some kid’s toy and I know it’s not an airplane.”

TV station WCBD posted Thompson’s video on Dec. 27 and reported four days later that the station had “received several emails from people who believe they may have also seen the mysterious object” in eastern South Carolina.

https://www.greensboro.com/news/nor...cle_9283f0dc-5c64-5e71-b4d7-e618776e0755.html

maximus otter
If other people saw it then we can presumably rule out a reflection on glass .. and sorry to be pedantic Max but any flying object that can't be identified is always a UFO until it's been identified .. technically speaking ..

The Moon was in that general direction on that day at that time, so I think this may just be a very poor movie showing the Moon, reddened by atmospheric effects.

Last edited:
Had a look at an astronomy site and found that Mars was visible that night, which would explain the red colour. The movement could be explained by camera shake and looking at the video again, it does appear to me to be an out-of-focus point of light. Autofocus cameras have a lot of trouble trying to lock onto a small point of light on a dark background and tend to hunt making the point go out of focus and appear larger.
sky.JPG

Mars was visible, but in the southwest. The Moon rose at 1942 on Dec 24 (not Dec 26) in the east/northeast, and would have been visible out to sea, whereas Mars would have been over the land.

This frame seems to be highly significant; it shows the 'red ball' hovering over two other lights or illuminated objects, which I would guess are lights either in the sea or on the sea-shore as seen from the observer's point-of-view. In all the frames which show these lights, the 'red ball' is motionless with respect to the lights. But there aren't many such frames.

Depending on where the observer was standing, she would have been looking east or south if looking out to sea. The 'red ball' seems very low on the horizon in these frames, which may explain the red colour.
REDBALL.png

The object "twinkles" too much and too rapidly to be the moon. It seems to me to be an out of focus point source of light that is distant enough to exhibit twinkling. Agree that there's no way determine whether it is in fact moving independent of possibly inadvertent camera motion. Could be a bright star low to the horizon and reddened by atmosphere...any of the bright winter stars are possible candidates - Sirius, Procyon, Betelgeuse...Would be nice to know what time the video was shot and exactly what direction she was facing.

Kiawah Island is not a million miles from Charleston air force base. About 30 miles, actually.

I'm confused about this incident.

The many news stories and regurgitations attribute it to 24 December and indicate the red object was visible for some time.

NUFORC only lists one report that seems to match - on 31 December and lasting only 10 seconds.

One of the more likely UFO type explanations is an Orange Orb, but these are typically more purposeful and the illumination is like molten marble on the surface, with clear substance. This seems more ethereal with an internal point of light.

Back