• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

For some bizarre reason

KarlD

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
People are still desparate to flog the idea that we stole technology from crashed aliens, first we had someone trying to sell the idea that all electronic devices were copied from aliens and somehow aliens where flying around using 1940's thermionic valves, and now this

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2009/06 ... metal.html

its almost as if these people have some pathological drive to refute the possibiltiy that things are developed after years of research.
I should warn you that the article is very badly written and very confused but the idea is stupid smelly humans are too stupid so we steal technology from aliens who are not smelly and only want to give us all ickle hugs.

Velcro - that came from aliens.

What a rip off. Geddit?

Dime bars were invented by aliens too.

(I started this rumour many years ago; it appears that no-one is interested in propagating it. Oh well...)

Toblerone. That was invented by aliens. No human would make a chocolate bar that causes injuries on the scale of toblerone. It was clearly intended for some creature with teeth at least 2 inches long and a boney palate.

KarlD said:
... its almost as if these people have some pathological drive to refute the possibiltiy that things are developed after years of research. ...

In one form or another, many writers on Fortean subjects repeatedly presume humans couldn't possibly have produced / accomplished something on their own. They magnify, if not create, the 'mystery' they seek to solve by denying humans credit and thereby mandating involvement by some other party or force. For example, this presumptuous incredulity underpins just about all of von Daniken's theories.

EnolaGaia said:
KarlD said:
... its almost as if these people have some pathological drive to refute the possibiltiy that things are developed after years of research. ...

In one form or another, many writers on Fortean subjects repeatedly presume humans couldn't possibly have produced / accomplished something on their own. They magnify, if not create, the 'mystery' they seek to solve by denying humans credit and thereby mandating involvement by some other party or force. For example, this presumptuous incredulity underpins just about all of von Daniken's theories.

I think it also allows people who otherwise have very little understanding of the science of everyday objects to claim esoteric knowledge.this is a huge part of the attraction of UFO cults I think.

Ginando said:
Toblerone. That was invented by aliens. No human would make a chocolate bar that causes injuries on the scale of toblerone. It was clearly intended for some creature with teeth at least 2 inches long and a boney palate.

Ive never understood toblerone I always assumed that they were some kind of sex toy for sadomasocists.

KarlD said:
People are still desparate to flog the idea that we stole technology from crashed aliens
...........snip..............
its almost as if these people have some pathological drive to refute the possibiltiy that things are developed after years of research.

Good point. I think those who have even a small amount of knowledge about semiconductor fabrication appreciate the long road and huge investment it took to get electronics to where it is now. Even if your speciality is very different you will be able to draw parallels between it and endevours that others take and appreciate them.

I think in some way the denial of peoples ability to imagine, develop and realise a better mousetrap is a kind of leveller, it brings all things within the grasp of the 'denier' who just can't imagine or stand other people being perhaps smarter or just better informed.

Its the same with the pyramids. How where they built? just ignore the wealth of archaeology, its too academic and dry to read. Much more exciting and simple to believe aliens/magicians/sonic levitation did it.

In a way its bloody rude, to discard all the ingenuity, blood sweat and tears of so many people across millenia just because they can't see how it was done, or themselves doing it.

Rant over ;)

AMPHIARAUS said:
KarlD said:
People are still desparate to flog the idea that we stole technology from crashed aliens
...........snip..............

Good point. I think those who have even a small amount of knowledge about semiconductor fabrication appreciate the long road and huge investment it took to get electronics to where it is now. Even if your speciality is very different you will be able to draw parallels between it and endevours that others take and appreciate them.

I think in some way the denial of peoples ability to imagine, develop and realise a better mousetrap is a kind of leveller, it brings all things within the grasp of the 'denier' who just can't imagine or stand other people being perhaps smarter or just better informed.

Its the same with the pyramids. How where they built? just ignore the wealth of archaeology, its too academic and dry to read. Much more exciting and simple to believe aliens/magicians/sonic levitation did it.

In a way its bloody rude, to discard all the ingenuity, blood sweat and tears of so many people across millenia just because they can't see how it was done, or themselves doing it.

Absolutly, there is a strange magazine I was looking at today called nexus, in there you can read all about how the pyramids are musical instruments, there are energy storage devices to help crops grow, you can use them you cure ailments absolutly anything except that they were rather elaborate tombs built on the labour of thousands of slaves.

Rant over ;)
:roll:

AMPHIARAUS said:

Rant over ;)

Absolutely, there is a strange magazine I was looking at today called nexus, in there you can read all about how the pyramids are musical instruments, there are energy storage devices to help crops grow, you can use them you cure ailments absolutly anything except that they were rather elaborate tombs built on the labour of thousands of slaves.

:roll:

quote tags sorted out - stu

Ah, Nexus. If the FT was New Scientist, or Nature, then Nexus would be Hello! magazine. Telemarketers would fall over themselves for the subscriber list, as the readership would literally buy anything.

The best possible example of having a mind so open that you can feel the breeze from miles away :).

If earthlings stole anything from aliens it would have to be colonoscopy.
From what I read the little buggers have a penchant for that sort of thing you know. :twisted:

While I agree that we haven't been spending a whole lot of time reverse-engineering alien tech, I do think that it's possible that crashed or captured tech has contributed to our development in the past few decades...not because we're stupid, but because I think that knowing something is possible is half the battle.

Just my two cents.

TimothyP23 said:
While I agree that we haven't been spending a whole lot of time reverse-engineering alien tech, I do think that it's possible that crashed or captured tech has contributed to our development in the past few decades...not because we're stupid, but because I think that knowing something is possible is half the battle.

Just my two cents.
Yep, it's amazing what can be back egineered from a few scaps of tin foil. :roll:

If I was an alien I would make sure my craft had a self destruct mechanism that would cause the craft to evaporate into thin air in the event of a crash. Not that that would happen anyway as the craft would be designed with so many redundant systems and would probably be self healing too. Even if one did somehow crash, my buds would just fly down to the crash site, freeze time, tidy the mess up and get home in time for tea, just my 2p

azuredoor said:
If I was an alien I would make sure my craft had a self destruct mechanism that would cause the craft to evaporate into thin air in the event of a crash. Not that that would happen anyway as the craft would be designed with so many redundant systems and would probably be self healing too. Even if one did somehow crash, my buds would just fly down to the crash site, freeze time, tidy the mess up and get home in time for tea, just my 2p

Oh wow i didnt know aliens had tea, I expect that its intelligent tea that sings to you as you drink it.

Well I just called it tea but what it actually is is a transporter which transports the pre-masticated tea directly into the upper stomach. Not my cup of tea anyway

azuredoor said:
Well I just called it tea but what it actually is is a transporter which transports the pre-masticated tea directly into the upper stomach. Not my cup of tea anyway

So, has any of this alien tea been worked on by scientists here on earth? Can we expect to see more alien derived cuppas in the future? I have suspicions already, given that we have brands such as Celestial Seasonings, Good Earth tea and most suspicious of all, Arizona Beverage Company. Now Arizona is next door to New Mexico, so maybe the tea fell to earth as the UFO which crashed at Roswell was descending. Having drunk American Tea, I strongly suspect it has to be alien in origin.

" . . . in the end he was left with a bitter taste in his mouth, and it wasn't from the pancakes. "I haven't been able to work for three weeks," he told United Press International. "I'm going to have to start making some money." He said that the next time he saw a flying saucer he would keep well away from its rim." :shock:

Back