• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

1710101733383.png

1710101758537.png
1710101809756.png
Barney @barneycarroll
Of the many soul wrenching moments of TraumaZone, the Moscow space museum getting turned into a car showroom sticks as a poignant symbol of cultural annihilation.

司徒 @szetoinsitu
The survivors trying to farm in the Roman forum after depopulation probably felt the same way too

1710101881124.png

1710101908170.png

On today's Quora, a Francophone historian reveals the truth about the French Revolution:

"The French aristocracy pre-Revolution weren't the careless, luxurious bastards lording over everyone cruelly as they are made out to be. This is demonstrated most perfectly by the fact that many of the most prominent revolutionaries were, themselves, noblemen.

In the same vein, Louis XVI wasn't overthrown because he was a tyrant, he was overthrown because he was NOT a tyrant. If anything him being friendly, indecisive and more soft-willed than his war-minded predecessors Louis XV and Louis XIV, made him into a target. The Kings before him stayed reasonably popular. By going to war a lot and spending obscene amounts of money that would ultimately lead to the Kingdom's downfall, these rulers were generally rather respected by much of the population. Much like with the last Tsar of Russia, the King who ended up losing his head to the guillotine was a pretty chill, open-minded fellow open to reforms.

There’s this stereotype of these lavishly spoiled big spenders in powdered wigs, Marie-Antoinette telling the hungry "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche” (let them eat cake), was completely removed from reality… and truthfully, this is bullshit. A ton of noblemen were social reformers, generous to the poor, conscientious and cared deeply for the common man. The revolutionaries who took over, quite a few of them were blue-blooded themselves. And were far worse than the elites they ended up killing."

French.png

View attachment 74600

View attachment 74601
View attachment 74602
Barney @barneycarroll
Of the many soul wrenching moments of TraumaZone, the Moscow space museum getting turned into a car showroom sticks as a poignant symbol of cultural annihilation.

司徒 @szetoinsitu
The survivors trying to farm in the Roman forum after depopulation probably felt the same way too

View attachment 74604

View attachment 74605
I can well believe that.

My Dad visited Russia in 2005. There was all talk about the church and the Tsars....but the 20th century did not happen.

Not even the really good bits.

@Rynner brought this up in 2011, the Clydebank Blitz.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/anniversaries.38857/page-6#post-1077493

Less well known than Coventry, the eastern ports and so on.

This is an individuals map of the event.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...qq&ll=56.1737832764009,-3.827871717887385&z=9

There's a high explosive hit marked in the street behind ours - the roof line has a marked difference at that point, with replacement more modern roofs. It's less visible now but when we moved here 35 years ago it was starkly visible.

Russia always was that bad:

“Dykman came to Israel as a refugee from a Soviet gulag, where he’d been imprisoned since the Russians took over eastern Poland. He spent many, many years in the gulag. He quoted to me the words of a Lubavitch Hasid whom he met in the gulag. The Hasid said in Yiddish, ‘This country is such a country! It would be a mitzvah to leave it by train, on a Yom Kippur that fell on a Saturday!’”
Himmelfarb laughed. “I’m not sure how you translate this for a political scientist.” (It’s a dual violation to travel on a holy day Sabbath.)
“It’s an exceptionalism he’s talking about, isn’t it?” I suggest. “It’s the kind of country so irredeemably horrible you make exceptions to the holiest commandments to leave it behind.

View attachment 74600

View attachment 74601
View attachment 74602
Barney @barneycarroll

司徒 @szetoinsitu

View attachment 74604

View attachment 74605
There is one in Gorky Park, on the banks of the Moscow river, which makes for what I think is a striking juxtaposition. This might be one for the brain teaser thread, but of the two iconic edifices in this picture, which was built first? (Apologies for the poor photo quality, it's off my phone).

4NN5bw9iUrgLZFkhohy--q58ObiJWN0D_J7uzzBVmAA=w1247-h701-no

I saw there was a bad steam vehicle accident near where I live too. Did they have more accidents? Or were they just as likely as anything else to have an accident.

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpeg
    IMG_4757.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 21
After many years of marriage to his beloved wife Martha, mother of his six children, Freud, by his own admission, ceased all sexual contact with her. Instead, he embarked upon a longstanding affair with his wife’s younger sister, Minna Bernays, a spinster who lived in the Freud household, and who had devoted much of her time to the care of his children. We know about the likelihood of this affair from a variety of sources; and in recent years, a sociologist has actually discovered an old hotel register, dating from 1898, which provides evidence that Freud and his sister-in-law had checked into the Schweizerhaus in the Swiss Alps for a holiday. They both stayed overnight in Room 11, and Freud even signed the register ‘Dr Sigm Freud u Frau’ (‘Dr Sigmund Freud and wife’).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18632010-life-lessons-from-freud

Boniface tried to excommunicate Philip at different times. On one occasion, 1301, when no one would publish the decree, the pope complained to a French official: “Nos habemus utramque potestatem” (“We have both powers,” spiritual and temporal); the Frenchman replied “Utique Domine, sed vestra est verbalis, nostra autem realis” (“That may well be, my Lord, but yours is verbal, ours is real,”

https://digitaldante.columbia.edu/c...tical-visions/church-and-state-in-the-comedy/

‘Nothing has really changed’: letters from 1719 reveal familiar worries of London life
From expensive rent to efforts to keep up with fashion, a young man’s missives on display in Cumbria are relatable to today

'He also had to field requests from family and neighbours back in Troutbeck to source various items only available in the city. He sent several snuff boxes to his parents, and in one letter Browne listed the requests he had fulfilled including a wig trunk, sealing wax and a silver thimble, a “Cap for Parson Sawrey & two necklaces for him”, “Linnen for a gown and cape for Mrs Birkett Merrers” and “Chocolate & Coffee for my mother”.'

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...from-1719-reveal-familiar-worries-london-life

Regarding King Louis in France, he DID spend a lot of money in a war - the American Revolution. All he got out of it were a lot of returning soldiers spreading the idea of republican democracy at home and no help from the USA when the chips were down.

Last edited:
Charcot paraded these young women before the lay audience like animals in a circus tent, apparently oblivious to any pain and anguish they may have suffered. Many patients returned on a regular basis for Charcot’s rounds; some became stars in Parisian society. Blanche Wittman, known as Charcot’s pet hysteric and the queen of hysterics, was made famous in an 1887 painting by the French academic history painter, André Brouillet. In this painting, which captures Charcot presenting Blanche to his neurological colleagues, Blanche faints into the outstretched arms of Charcot’s assistant Joseph Babinski, with her breasts barely covered, pointing suggestively at Charcot as she turns her head to the side with her face contorted as though in the throes of an orgasm. Remarkably, Wittman remained at the Salpêtrière for 16 years performing as requested for Charcot. Even more remarkable, after release from the hospital, she became a laboratory assistant to Marie Curie and died of radium poisoning.
Robert W. Baloh
Medically Unexplained
Symptoms
A Brain-Centered Approach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clinical_Lesson_at_the_Salpêtrière

1711706300218.png

And the court case is on!

Steve Coogan is being sued for libel by a university official over how he was portrayed in a film about the discovery of Richard III's remains.

Richard Taylor, formerly deputy registrar of the University of Leicester, is bringing legal action against Coogan over his portrayal in the 2022 film The Lost King, which he claims was "devious" and "weasel-like".

The lawsuit is also against Coogan's production company Baby Cow and Pathe Productions.

At a hearing on Thursday, which Coogan did not attend, William Bennett KC said his client Mr Taylor was presented as being "dismissive, patronising and misogynistic" towards Ms Langley.

https://news.sky.com/story/steve-co...-portrayed-in-his-film-the-lost-king-13083825
I'm puzzled as to why Steve Coogan is being sued specifically (other than a rather unworthy thought about him likely having lots of money and being high profile...). Why not sue the script writers who wrote him as 'dismissive, patronising and misogynistic'? Actors are only reading the words that they are given, it's hardly Steve Coogan's fault if he was given a dick to portray, is it?

Charcot paraded these young women before the lay audience like animals in a circus tent, apparently oblivious to any pain and anguish they may have suffered. Many patients returned on a regular basis for Charcot’s rounds; some became stars in Parisian society. Blanche Wittman, known as Charcot’s pet hysteric and the queen of hysterics, was made famous in an 1887 painting by the French academic history painter, André Brouillet. In this painting, which captures Charcot presenting Blanche to his neurological colleagues, Blanche faints into the outstretched arms of Charcot’s assistant Joseph Babinski, with her breasts barely covered, pointing suggestively at Charcot as she turns her head to the side with her face contorted as though in the throes of an orgasm. Remarkably, Wittman remained at the Salpêtrière for 16 years performing as requested for Charcot. Even more remarkable, after release from the hospital, she became a laboratory assistant to Marie Curie and died of radium poisoning.
Robert W. Baloh
Medically Unexplained
Symptoms
A Brain-Centered Approach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clinical_Lesson_at_the_Salpêtrière

It was quite a queasy experience, seeing the famous and exploitive photographic sequence featuring Charcot's patient known as Augustine. And even the Brouillet painting belongs to the same shabby artistic tradition as so many half-naked 'Penitent Magdalene' pictures.

Tellingly:

'When Augustine no longer agreed to be photographed, she was admitted to solitary confinement in the Hospital.'

I'm puzzled as to why Steve Coogan is being sued specifically (other than a rather unworthy thought about him likely having lots of money and being high profile...). Why not sue the script writers who wrote him as 'dismissive, patronising and misogynistic'? Actors are only reading the words that they are given, it's hardly Steve Coogan's fault if he was given a dick to portray, is it?
Coogan co-wrote the script.
The Lost King is a 2022 British biographical film directed by Stephen Frears. Written by Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope, it is based on the 2013 book The King's Grave: The Search for Richard III by Philippa Langley and Michael Jones.

I just watched a documentary about the pro-fascist movement in the U.S. prior to the Second World War. I learned that the largest Nazi-oriented youth camp in the country was Camp Siegfried in Yaphank, N.Y., about 40 miles from where I live. The neighborhood once had an Adolf Hitler Street, a Goering Street, and a Goebbels Street.

Back