• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Dog / Map Stickers Appearing on School Run [PHOTOS]

henry

still speeding
we started school in october and as its quite close frequently go on foot ... my fortean daughter is very much into mysteries and clues and will look for them wherever they can be found ... soon we noticed a sticker on the ground that looked interesting and it was kind of close to a strange drain cover that she thought could be a secret tunnel

over the next few weeks more and more of these stickers materialised along the school run ... they resemble either a stylized dogs head or perhaps a map with two X-marks-the-spots ... i at first thought it was a club or DJ flyer ...

04-11-11_1545.jpg

nothing too odd here however :

a. they only seem to appear on our route

b. the first one we saw seemed to be the first one placed ie they began to appear at the same time we began to walk this route

c. i can confirm that they do not appear anywhere else ... we live in the city centre of manchester and i cover a lot of ground during the day ...

d. they appeared at various points on oldham road between swan street and livesey street

e. two have since appeared on tib street ( where we live ! ) which is almost a continuation of oldham road ... one was four doors down from us and seemed to have been placed moments before we spotted it as it was only partially adhered and was pristine and ... dry ( uncanny in itself for manchester ) ... we removed it and it now resides on a mirror in our place

f. we have placed the photos ( there are a couple of duplicates ) on photobucket : http://photobucket.com/dogmaps

i have run the design through tineye without any hits : http://www.tineye.com/

what is the verdict people ? any ideas ?

With 5 vertices and the two X's or crosses, the first thing that came to mind was a stylized cartoon rendering for a 'dead star' or maybe 'drunken star'.

excellent work there is a babycakes skateshop somewhere in the northern quarter a few streets away ... not heard of google goggles before ... thanks for the tip

It's an app I have for my Android phone, all you do is take a picture and it scans it then references google for similar images. Works quite well.

Mystery solved!

At least you had a mystery, HenryFort! I'm still getting nothing untoward on my school runs.

Round here, Gowerton and Gower, I've noticed a similar thing over the last few years on road signs and the like. Yellow stickers, diamond shapes or squares can't recall, with a picture of a Killer Whale on it and an arrow.

As you'd expect the arrows usually point down roads to the sea, where we do have lots of marine mammals but not Orcas, but some some are just in country lanes which don't particularly go anywhere and some point to the city.

It's hard to get a strange sign out of your mind till you find the answer. In the middle of the outback 2 weeks ago on the door of a drop toilet the words WHAT DAMAGE ARE WE DOING ?with an eye of Ra in a triangle was written on the door.
I thought what unusual graffiti and it keeps popping into my mind. Like your puzzzle, would love to find out who wrote it and why.

my fortean daughter now wants to go into babycakes and unmask the culprit scooby-doo style !

I had the same kind of mystery in Rotterdam and probably it will be never solved:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/2691733919/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/2689137939/

Someone is systematically putting coloured dots on traffic lights throughout Rotterdam. I have not studied his locations and “modus operandi” but I’m reminded of the signals used by Robert Hansen and his Russian handlers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uair01/2688781143/

Several traffic lights in Rotterdam are decorated with a floppy disk with a stenciled tree on it. My son noticed them and pointed them out to me. They have been hanging there for several years and not many people seem to notice. Being a good archaeologist I leave them undisturbed and I won’t tell you where they are. But I’m very curious what’s on them. A friend of his once saw the “tree” as stencilled graffiti on the floor of the Rotterdam metro. They are gone now.

Might be just an artist doing an art project.

Years ago, when I lived in Peterborough, I found a whole load of coloured dot stickers on all the houses down my street. There was definitely some kind of pattern or method to it. It could have been kids, or it could have been burglars casing up the whole street. I removed all the stickers from my house, like the spoilsport that I am.

We have these horrible stickers on things in Leeds that have this ugly charactature man with 'Kosy the Crackhead' written on him, at first I thought it was the kids at a local school larking around as there are several in very close proximity, or maybe someone with a grudge against an actual crackhead, turns out it's supposed to be some sort of street art thing.

Lots of street art is created just to cause people to wonder what it means. The Obey Giant posters come to mind. I like the street art thats different, like the floppy disk guy above, or the guy from exit thru the gift shop who glues tiles in the shape of space invaders. I kind of wonder when its for a store, how effective it is for the 98 percent of people who never figure out it was an ad for a skate shop?

There does seem to be a new trend with the advent of smartphones & apps like google goggle, where bands, companies and even individuals will print off stickers with logos &/or QR codes (3D Barcodes) and place them in plain sight. they serve as a form of advertising, but without the know how or the device required to decipher them most people walk past them or regard them as an oddity.

Back