• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Ethiopia

darrensix

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
International Forteans,

I have just taken up my first overseas posting for DFID (www.dfid.gov.uk) in Ethiopia. I live now in Addis Ababa the vibrant and colourful capital of a fascinating country. Although new to the country, I know that this place will be incredibly exciting to live in and to explore. Significant places on the list of Ethiopian sites of Fortean interest have to be Lalibela and Axum – I can’t wait to visit!

Having briefly searched, I realise that the www is full of references to strangeness and mystery in Ethiopia, but nothing very concise as far as I can see. I was wondering if any fellow Forteans have any personal stories or know of any particularly interesting references to the place…

Darrensix

I would love to visit Magdala where Tewodros II was defeated in battle by Robert Napier.

Tewodros (or Theodore) claimed direct descendency from Makeda (Queen of Sheba) although this could be disputed as he was an *usurper*.

Makeda and King Solomon's son, Menelik is said by some to have taken the Ark of the Covenant to Ethiopia.

Back