Fortean Food

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I remember seeing a photograph in a book showing an Edwardian looking gathering, the group were pictured in their finery sitting inside a posed ribcage of a Mammoth on a stage (in a London museum) and were said to be eating perma frost Mammoth steaks .. this was before photoshop so, although it might have been faked using earlier methods, I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and remembers this picture?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a photograph in a book showing an Edwardian looking gathering, the group were pictured in their finery sitting inside a posed ribcage of a Mammoth on a stage (in a London museum) and were said to be eating perma frost Mammoth steaks .. this was before photoshop so, although it might have been faked using earlier methods, I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and remembers this picture?
You've asked this same question multiple times before, and the answers are to be found in the Eating Mammoth thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/eating-mammoth.55927/

The 'sitting inside' bit derives from a banquet scene where some folks were seated inside an iguanadon sculpture (one of the Crystal Palace dinosaurs).

The 'eating mammoth' bit typically refers to the story of mammoth being eaten at the 1951 Explorers Club banquet. The meat that night was actually sea turtle, and it was originally (faux-) advertised as being Megatherium (giant ground sloth) rather than mammoth.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
You've asked this same question multiple times before, and the answers are to be found in the Eating Mammoth thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/eating-mammoth.55927/

The 'sitting inside' bit derives from a banquet scene where some folks were seated inside an iguanadon sculpture (one of the Crystal Palace dinosaurs).

The 'eating mammoth' bit typically refers to the story of mammoth being eaten at the 1951 Explorers Club banquet. The meat that night was actually sea turtle, and it was originally (faux-) advertised as being Megatherium (giant ground sloth) rather than mammoth.
I will continue to ask the question "multiple times" with the hope that someone will remember the Edwardian PHOTGRAPH that I'm referring to but thanks for reminding us all about the 1951 Explorers Club banquet details. I contend that there's earlier details but I haven't been able to re find the evidence yet.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Oh, that's weird.

INT21

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Anyone else think that poppadoms have a very faint smell of Diesel ?

INT21

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I just saw this product at the local Korean supermarket. It comes in several flavors/colors, none of them green.

View attachment 13639

"Honey, does this taste like Edward G. Robinson to you?"
This is a hell of a story. The guy who invented it has given up food entirely, as have some of his followers. I haven't heard about it for a while, I guess none of them died yet.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
This is a hell of a story. The guy who invented it has given up food entirely, as have some of his followers. I haven't heard about it for a while, I guess none of them died yet.
Is the name of the product a deliberate reference to the film? I can't think of hearing that name in connection to anything else. Maybe something to do with soya, like soya milk?

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I don't know much about them, but yeah - looks like some folks consider this preferable to traditional food, since it's so much more efficient than cooking, meal planning, etc. A real lets-make-the-SF-of-my-youth-a-reality trip!

Is the name of the product a deliberate reference to the film? I can't think of hearing that name in connection to anything else. Maybe something to do with soya, like soya milk?
The name comes from the source novel, Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, where it referred to meat substitutes made from soya and lentils. The book did not have SPOILER ALERT! Soylent Green made from people. Wikipedia says "Rhinehart also says he chose the name, with its morbid associations, to pique curiosity and deeper investigation, since the name was clearly not chosen with a traditionally 'flashy' marketing scheme in mind." In other words, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Also, I suppose nobody expects him to be using the dead to make his drinks. Weird that it's not really a joke for him, though.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Also, I suppose nobody expects him to be using the dead to make his drinks. Weird that it's not really a joke for him, though.
If you think about it, it kind of goes with the same detachment from mainstream thinking that makes him consider the product better than the entire history of human food. He got the name from the products in the book, and apparently doesn't know or care that the public is far more familiar with the movie's "morbid associations" than with the book.