• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Government?

A

Anonymous

Inspired by a recent post (credit: p.younger) about Forteans being primed to take over the world, I began to wonder what it would be like if Forteans formed a government? What would its policy make-up be like? Who would you select for key cabinet posts? And so on?

OK, looks like I'll have to get this one rolling...

Hmm, for President/Prime Minister - well, we could leave George Bush as a suitably Fortean President, and some would argue the same for Tony Blair. But let's not get too political. For PM, it has to be Bob Rickard or Paul Sieveking, I guess (say BR for PM, PS as Chancellor)? Other posts I'll leave to you.

Policies:

1. Release of all Govt-held UFO data (obvious).

2. Kennedy paraphrase: "I believe we should commit this nation to finding an unequivocal answer to the mystery of Loch Ness before this electoral term is out."

3. All persons found guilty of not reporting strange phenomena as they occur to be locked up for a day with William Hague, the Hamiltons, Nigel Mansell, and Ken off Coronation Street.

4. Fortean News to replace News at Ten.

5. Fortean Times to be a daily issue (and no one-page full-penguin pix!)

6. Every household to have at least one weird family member, lodger, or pet.

7. Top Ten quality MB posters for the New Year honours list.

Over to...anyone else?

British peace keeping force in Atlantis (we spent all that money on underwater death machines we might as well use them).
Kill or Capture mission to locate Beckjord.
David Icke and Glen Hoddle to be installed as England's new management team.
Stormont assembly to be suspended, its time to give yogic flying a chance.

Yeah, "two jags Shuker" would refer to some mystery spotted wildcats he'd uncovered on some far away island...

Rynner as Minister for, transcendental & interstellar travel.

Fortean Gub'ment

I'm afraid there is a paradox here. A fortean government would be one based on logic, which would completely shake our current system down to the foundations. Laws would be made in the best interest in of the people, not in the best interest of the people making the laws. Most policies would be completely reversed, and the ensuing truth and straightforwardness would probably confuse most people - especially political types. Many politicians would be out of work, as people who don't do anything wouldn't have jobs anymore. And I'm afraid we'd try to be much too fair to everyone in general, which we're really not used to. On the good side, we wouldn't be so worried about clutching a tight grasp over the '3rd world' and would instead be interested in answering life's many questions while improving our general standard of living. But that's just a guess.

p.younger said:
Rynner as Minister for, transcendental & interstellar travel.
I accept , provided I get TWO flying saucers with the job... ;)

rynner said:

And very commendable for agreeing to it for two pastel-coloured rice-paper lenses full of sherbert!

Re: Fortean Gub'ment

mike_legs said:
I'm afraid there is a paradox here. A fortean government would be one based on logic, which would completely shake our current system down to the foundations. Laws would be made in the best interest in of the people, not in the best interest of the people making the laws. Most policies would be completely reversed, and the ensuing truth and straightforwardness would probably confuse most people - especially political types. Many politicians would be out of work, as people who don't do anything wouldn't have jobs anymore. And I'm afraid we'd try to be much too fair to everyone in general, which we're really not used to. On the good side, we wouldn't be so worried about clutching a tight grasp over the '3rd world' and would instead be interested in answering life's many questions while improving our general standard of living. But that's just a guess.

but would the "fortean guv'" (be alegeadly corupt) like all the others?

also how bout this then:-

the first cheurch of fort, the 1st mandate (commandment) ;) is to declare a crusade/jihad on nonbelivers who dont belive in fortean events, the 1st high priest is got 2 be the rev lional franthorpe (yes ive made perc. coffee for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!) nice bloke!!!

Sorry Melfork but the Church of Fort, more commonly known as the Children of Fort was formed on these forums last year. Rev Fanthorp flat refused any involvment since he is, after all, already a Chirstian. It seems that he felt leading a nonChristian cult would be a professional conflict of interests...

sorry i didnt know about the children of fort:(

i will now stand in the corner with a dunce hat on sir

To paraphrase Fort:

Nevertheless, though I know of no standards by which to judge anything, I conceive -- or accept the idea -- of something that is The Standard, if I can think of our existence as an Organism. If human thought is a growth, like all other growths, its logic is without foundation of its own, and is only the adjusting constructiveness of all other growing things. A tree can not find out, as it were, how to blossom, until comes blossom-time. A social growth cannot find out the use of Tony Blair, until comes Tony-Blair-time...

:gaga:

rynner said:

Wou;d Rynner get an apartment in Lemuria or Mars as well?

Carole

UrbanDruid said:
Jenny Randles for Minister for Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, interesting as her books are, I don't think she'd be very good in that post . . .

Carole

carole said:
Erm, interesting as her books are, I don't think she'd be very good in that post . . .

Carole

Now what could you be suggesting Carole ?:p

Back