Fortean Maps: Have Such Things Ever Been Attempted?

The_Discordian

Junior Acolyte
I've seen discussions on here relating to Fortean phenomena in specific areas, and it got to me wondering: Has anyone ever compiled a Fortean map of any particular part of the world? I appreciate it would be a long task, and I'm not even sure what groundwork would be neccessary, but it occurs to me that it would be a useful reference point.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Do you mean a map showing locations of particularly Fortean-related items?

Would UFO Stalkers' interactive map for UFO reports:

http://www.ufostalker.com/

... be an example of what you're referring to?

The_Discordian

Junior Acolyte
That sort of thing, but not so specific; something that shows *any* sort of reported Forteana in any given area.

(and I've just realised, I put this in the wrong subforum - could a kindly moderator move it to General Forteana?)

Again not a map of all things Fortean but a map of missing persons in the US features in David Paulides two books of the "Missing 411".

Would it be possible to map ALL things Fortean...there's a lot out there. How difficult would it be to map ghost sightings in London fr'instance....

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Maps and Gazetteers of weird phenomena are not that rare, surely. Those old Readers' Digest volumes had maps on a county-by-county basis. The Bords have classified strange events by region in their volumes on Modern Mysteries of Britain, Ancient Mysteries of Britain and Modern Mysteries of the World, to name only the ones on my shelves.

Closer to home, the FT did a special Weird Britain number to celebrate its 200th Edition in 2005. There on the cover, you get gnomes, fairies, green children, big cats etc on a map of the British Isles. I was reading some of these tales to an audience of rather sceptical young things last week. :)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Do you mean a map showing locations of particularly Fortean-related items? Would UFO Stalkers' interactive map for UFO reports:
http://www.ufostalker.com/
... be an example of what you're referring to?
a map ? get with the twentieth century ... ive had this app on my phone for a while ... its not much cop though ...paranormal field guide
Update: FYI:

Both sites cited in these 2013 posts have gone MIA. Neither seems to have any content (relevant to this thread) archived in the Wayback Machine.

henry

still speeding
from memory that app was simply a (very limited) set of fortean tales, mainly ghostly, that popped up based upon search proximity, dunno, bit wasted ...