• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forteana Crossword

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
This was an experiment and just a bit of fun.

Had the idea earlier today - why not try and create a Forteana themed crossword.

I found an app which allows the generated crossword, slightly cryptic, to be saved as a .pdf file and if of interest, have uploaded same:

Forteana Crossword No. 1

www.forteanmedia.com/XWord_01.pdf

I'm not yet sure if one can be created as a .pdf file in which the answers can be directly entered and meantime it's a printed copy only.

I will upload a completed version of the answers later and would be interested to know if it's a worthwhile pursuit!

Lovely!

How about adding the number of letters to each clue?
This is a useful convention as it helps when you're glancing between the clues and boxes, and it's necessary when a two-letter answer is required.
:)

How about adding the number of letters to each clue?
It shall be so!

You have also solved the problem of how to include an answer of more than a single word, like 'lochness' (way too easy!)

I found this surprisingly interesting, as you do have to think about the subject matter and a long time since I had contemplated such Forteana facets as spontaneous combustion. o_O

It would be most helpful to hear how challenging it was - too easy, or some clues far too obscure?

I willl attempt another one and meantime here is the completed solution. :)

Forteana Crossword No. 1

www.forteanmedia.com/XWord_01B.pdf

I found the numbering a tad strange and it would probably make it quite hard if it were a larger crossword, but well done.

Last edited:
Love the idea of this, May be you need to look t the layout a bit as there are horizontal answers that don't read vertically (if you see what I mean) which looks bit odd.

...there are horizontal answers that don't read vertically (if you see what I mean) which looks bit odd.
I do now!

Hadn't, (obviously!) noticed this.

It was automatically generated from a basic app and this clearly needs a rethink.

Fair enough, it's a work in progress and shall now attempt one without any automated output.

Next time... soon.

Pleased to hear you like the idea, though. :)

Forteana Crossword No 3

This is more like what I was aiming for. Forteana related wherever possible and solution will be available tomorrow. Please enjoy! :thought:

Screenshot_20210825-125002.jpg

ACROSS

1. Denizen from another planet (7)

5. Small change in America (5)

8. Pre-Columbian Americans invoke misfortune (4,5)

9. Ten for catcher (3)

10. Restored from death (5)

12. Has ten seconds to speed up (7)

13. Celestial lights (4,2,3,3)

15. Focal points in meditation (7)

17. Members of a school of ancient Greek philosophers (6)

19. Biblical High Priest of Shiloh (3)

20. Building material for epic henge (9)

22. Country in the Middle East (5)

23. Supernatural hero from 2019 film (7)

DOWN

1. Prolific spaceships photographer (5)

2. Mythological bird of Middle East (3)

3. Intones religiously (7)

4. Battlelines drawn for civil war (5,3,5)

5. Game of strategy with ancient roots (5)

6. All trace of this individual's existence has been erased (9)

7. Meet expectations (7)

11. Interaction with a spirit world through altered states of consciousness (9)

13. Ordered community of Forteans (7)

14. A gift to bring fortune for the coming year (7)

16. Small bird is symbol of hope, renewal, and rebirth (5)

18. Small being, human in form, playful and having magical powers (5)

Back