• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Freemasons & Freemasonry

One of the many tangents in the Kelly-Hopkinsville thread, was the prevalence of 'Shrines' and their charlty work during that 1955 era.

Quoting Wikipedia:

"Shriners International, also commonly known as The Shriners or formerly known as the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, (AAONMS) is a Masonic society established in 1870 and is headquartered in Tampa, Florida. ... The organization was previously known as "Shriners North America"."

They notably sponsored circus tours:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_Circus

I came across a completely unexpected connection back to freemasonry in Scotland, where I live.

Post in thread 'Kelly / Hopkinsville (Kentucky) 'Goblins' Incident (1955)'

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...ucky-goblins-incident-1955.17926/post-2102777

The Kentucky newspapers of that time incessantly used the distinguishing terminology 'negro' and I noted that one Shrine Circus I was corresponding with were reported as treating some children, statedly including 'negros', to a circus outing.

During my online correspondence with the Hadi Shrine Circus in Evansville, Indiana, I mentioned the following:

"One thing I have learned from my research is the fabulous work you have been involved with for underprivileged children and especially, historically, neither race or color was an obstacle in that era".

The reply was succinct.

"Still isn't, not here".

"Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine"....

Now that evokes images of esoteric rituals and maybe occasionally conjuring a demon. :)

@Comfortably Numb: That's very interesting, but there is one point I'd clarify.

In your definition:
"Shriners International, also commonly known as The Shriners or formerly known as the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, (AAONMS) is a Masonic society established in 1870 and is headquartered in Tampa, Florida. ... The organization was previously known as "Shriners North America"."

This is not correct. The Shriners are not in any way a Masonic society, and are not in regular relations with the Grand Lodges of the Old Constitutions.

According to their own site, you have to be a master mason before you can become a Shriner, but that is where the connection ends. There is no formal overlap between the two. In the same way that a master mason could also be member of a golf club, it does not mean that the masonic order has a formal relationship with that club.

It is a society of master masons not a Masonic Society.

Sorry to be pedantic.*

*Not sorry ;)

Not sure where that would have come from but lodges do not generally go on a recruitment drive in the old constitutions of Scotland, Ireland and England.

The axiom is: to be one ask one.

While a person of good character might be encouraged to inquire, no one is invited to join. One must only approach of one's own free will and accord. Any coercion, or canvassing, is seen as grounds to block an admission.

Everything you need to know is the published and publicly available laws and constitutions. These are updated infrequently, as only minor things in procedure and process change, so any copy from the last three decades is likely to have membership rules in it.
I've re found that advert:

United Grand Lodge of England

Interested in becoming a Freemason?
Freemasonry brings together an incredibly diverse range of individuals who wish to develop themselves, become better people, build lifelong friendships and play a more active and positive role in our communities and wider society.
On a journey based on centuries old traditions, we are encouraged to live by our core values of Integrity, Friendship, Respect and Charity in our private and public lives.
Want to find out more? Click SIGN UP below to have a conversation with a Freemason near you.

amasonsadd.jpg

I notice the date 0f 2017 on this image that had a 'click here to sign up' link beneath it ..

https://www.facebook.com/UnitedGrandLodgeofEngland/

I've re found that advert:

United Grand Lodge of England

Interested in becoming a Freemason?
Freemasonry brings together an incredibly diverse range of individuals who wish to develop themselves, become better people, build lifelong friendships and play a more active and positive role in our communities and wider society.
On a journey based on centuries old traditions, we are encouraged to live by our core values of Integrity, Friendship, Respect and Charity in our private and public lives.
Want to find out more? Click SIGN UP below to have a conversation with a Freemason near you.

View attachment 47856

I notice the date 0f 2017 on this image that had a 'click here to sign up' link beneath it ..

https://www.facebook.com/UnitedGrandLodgeofEngland/

l would never approach any “club” whose publicity included the ghastly Nineties-ism “incredibly diverse”.

*shudders*

maximus otter

I'm hoping to sell my in the original boxed freemason garb and paper work etc stuff tomorrow.
Did your attempt to join the Illuminati fail, so the Masons threw you out?
:D

Quite surprised at that.
I saw an Irish constitution one from the nineteenth century go for €300+

Well, that was unexpected!

We got an email to our old business from The Illuminati!
They must be desperate to send unsolicited emails. :D

"Greetings, from the illuminati world elite empire. Are you a business Man/woman, politician, musician, student, footballer,
salary earner and you want to be rich, need protection, gain knowledge, powerful and be famous in life.
You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the great illuminati empire to earn yourself lot of benefit,
With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish.

With this brief summary, If you are interested to become a member of the great
illuminati then get back to us for more information and explanations about joining the illuminati.
kindly reply us back on our direct recruitment email only at: [email protected]
Please note, Kindly make sure all your response are send directly to the email stated above only at:> [email protected]
For more instructions on our membership process.
Note: Some email providers incorrectly place official Illuminati messages in their spam / junk folder or promotion folder.
This can divert and exclude our responses to your emails.
The Illuminati."

Note: My underlining ... our emailer didn't 'divert' their email - I did. :rofl:

Back