• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

French "vampire" free - and on the net...

Strange isn't it.

You are right though - you'd hope that if you ran into this guy in the flesh (so to speak) that something about his personality would warn you off even if his physical appearance didn't...

As for women writing to serial killers in jail - that I can understand in a way. They are incarcerated and therefore safe but at the same time must be very fascinating / sexy to get to know. You know, from a safe distance.

I mean, just to find out what made these people tick and why they thought that they could do what they do and get away with it would be fascinating.

To fall in love with them....oh no. ..that I don't understand.

Has anyone read 'Equisite (sp?) Corpse' by Poppy Z Brite?

Originally posted by Emmy Mallow

You are right though - you'd hope that if you ran into this guy in the flesh (so to speak) that something about his personality would warn you off even if his physical appearance didn't...

I don't think you would be able to tell. I think the problem with women writing to jailed serial killers is that they can do a pretty good imitation of normal. After all, they watch TV and have relatives like the rest of us. They are not Count Dracula all the time, just like you can't tell normal people's sexual preferences by looking at them. So the silly women get lulled into a false sense of security by chit-chat about triviality, and manipulative declarations of love. The same methods they probably used on their victims.

As for women writing to serial killers in jail - that I can understand in a way. They are incarcerated and therefore safe but at the same time must be very fascinating / sexy to get to know. You know, from a safe distance.

I mean, just to find out what made these people tick and why they thought that they could do what they do and get away with it would be fascinating.

If you are planning to do this, maybe you should just buy the myriad crime books on their motivations. If you ask them directly, they are more likely to lie in order to manipulate you. Writing to people in prison is a nice thing to do, but there are many more prisoners who have committed less sensational crimes who would
love to get letters. Serial killers usually have big fan-clubs of women writing to them. Of course, they don't tell them about the others. I read this in a newspaper article once. I am more interested in the motivations of deluded women who love to think they can reform a villain than the villains themselves. Note that I am not meaning you by that statement, so please don't get offended.

To fall in love with them....oh no. ..that I don't understand.

Has anyone read 'Equisite (sp?) Corpse' by Poppy Z Brite?

I just can't get into her books. I like Lovecraft, and am starting to get into Stephen King, that's as much horror as I read.

Sally said:
The only hope you have is that your gut instincts would tell you something's not quite right. And that you'd follow them - having to be 'nice' to people is so drummed into you that sometimes you force yourself when you should be running a mile.

That's why, in spite of the law, you should always carry a knife.
If I end up in a dark place with a weird person, I don't want to be the only person there who hasn't got one.

I'm under the opinion that you have more to fear from a 'normal' (and who is the judge of what is normal?) looking person. Look at Ted Bundy, he was a fairly handsome man who was popular with the ladies. These people are manipulators, if they weren't charming and believable they wouldn't have been able to lure the poor victims in.

The trouble with these girls that fall for criminals is that they romanticise the object of their affection. The men probably convince the women that they were framed/easily lead/misunderstood.

You girls just can't win, can you? If he's safe, he's probably a total berk, but if he's nice he'll probably skin you and bury you in the cellar...

Inverurie Jones said:
You girls just can't win, can you? If he's safe, he's probably a total berk, but if he's nice he'll probably skin you and bury you in the cellar...

I'd rather go with safe than being buried in the cellar. And talking about being skinned has anyone ever seen the series "Autopsy"? Some really gruesome pictures.

Back