• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT363

I've only flicked through it so far, I'm looking forward to reading the phone calls from the dead article, that happened to a girl in my year at school .. her boyfriend was also in my year but died in a motorbike accident, his mates were going around trying to find out who'd prank called her to beat someone up but she swore it was his (dead boyfriend's) voice .. I haven't even thought about that in years ..

I think, like me, you'll be disappointed. The article isn't about cool anecdotes like that, it's about people trying to design contraptions to talk to the other side. It's not a BAD article, just not what I was hoping for.

The podcast section was interesting, gonna check that one out this week.

I think, like me, you'll be disappointed. The article isn't about cool anecdotes like that, it's about people trying to design contraptions to talk to the other side. It's not a BAD article, just not what I was hoping for.

The podcast section was interesting, gonna check that one out this week.
I read it, interesting in its own right but not about spooky home phone calls from beyond the grave, no .. I haven't read the podcast bit yet but I will now.

'Cannibal' Britons arrived here for first time 950,000 years ago - and lived in Norfolk
By Fiona Macrae for the Daily Mail

Norfolk is the cradle of British civilisation, according to a landmark study.

Primitive humans made prehistoric rivers and forests of East Anglia their home, a landmark study has found.

'Norfolk Man' arrived up to 950,000 years ago and settled near what today is the village of Happisburgh, making it cradle of British civilisation.

There were several thousand of them - characterised by low foreheads, heavy brows and possible cannibalistic tendencies - hunting fish, mammoths, giant elk and deer.

Happisburgh yesterday ..

View attachment 8240
An artist's impression of Happisburgh, Norfolk, more than 800,000 years ago, when scientists believe it was occupied by an ancient race of humans

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...0-years-ago--lived-Norfolk.html#ixzz55zmM2h8e
looks like sheringham in present times

Picked it up today, only quickly flicked through but looks like a good issue from what I've seen so far.

Interesting to see from the Victorian tabloid press article that fake news was ever with us. Nothing new under the sun. Or The Sun.

Huzzah, my copy arrived today, shall read it after dinner!

The Rosemary Brown Ghostwatch was intriguing, worth further investigation - do we have a thread on composers channelled by mediums, can anyone tell me? Search is no help.

I can endorse the good Reverend's praise of the Hammer House of Horror TV series Blu-ray, it looks and sounds fantastic. Almost worth getting for the alarming menu screens alone!

Still no sign on Stockport, althouh apparently they've taken the last of 362 off the shelves in Smiths', so it must be imminent.

From experience: beware of Baconsthorpe, where they eat their own young. Trust me. I lived in Norfolk.

The Rosemary Brown Ghostwatch was intriguing, worth further investigation - do we have a thread on composers channelled by mediums, can anyone tell me? Search is no help.
I'm wondering what it felt like from the composer's point of view...

"How goes the day, Schubert?"

"Bleeding awful, Liszt. Just when I've got five minutes to finish that bloody symphony, that sodding woman turns up inside my head and demands I listen to some of her crap. Never get it finished at this rate."

"Rosemary again?" (pats Schubert on shoulder consolingly.) "I get her too, Franz. One minute I'm courting Countess Marie or I could be down the Lodge with a trouser leg rolled up contemplating the Mystic, and then I'm getting this middle-aged woman from Luton or somewhere in my head, telling mne the Hungarian Rhapsody would be better with references to scaramouches, fandangos and little silhouettoes of men..."

"Then she wants a cup of tea with two sugars..."

"Ludwig pretended he'd gone deaf. Just to shut her out."

Finally got it! (353). no thanks to WH Smiths, who insist on moving FT around any number of locations on the shelves as if they aren't sure where to display it... they seemed to settle on one shelf for a long time (about three editions), so I kept looking there, no sign - then turned and saw FT on a completely different totally unrelated shelf.... who decides these things?

Finally got it! (353). no thanks to WH Smiths, who insist on moving FT around any number of locations on the shelves as if they aren't sure where to display it... they seemed to settle on one shelf for a long time (about three editions), so I kept looking there, no sign - then turned and saw FT on a completely different totally unrelated shelf.... who decides these things?
The cosmic joker

Yeah I just read that one last night and thought it was really interesting. As a guitar player myself who dabbles in other instruments, I find it fascinating that someone with limited musical training should be able to not just compose music like that, but write it down too. I wouldn't have a clue where to begin and that made me wonder how many other people might have gifts like this that are never discovered or nurtured because they don't even know they have them!

Back