• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT back issues on CD -- what do you think?

Night_0wl

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi all

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I have searched and can't find anything. . .

I was just wondering what folk think of the FT back issue CDs? I bought these a few months ago when they were first advertised and am enjoying working my way slowly through them.

There are a few glitches. The compilers seem to have changed their minds several times during the project as to what would be featured as a clickable content link. In the 2003 issues the changes reflect alterations in the mag's actual Contents page, but the 2004 CD seems to have changed for no reason. In all except the very last issue, Contents and Strange Days have become non-clickable sub-headings. Various "departments" of Strange Days are clickable, e.g. Science, Alien Zoo, Ufology, etc., but not Strange Days news itself. To read this or Contents you have to navigate to the beginning of the file and work forwards, which is annoying.

There is a mix-up in 2003 over issue numbers in 2 captions, but the real numbers are clearly visible on the covers. More annoying is the copyright agreement you have to click on in the 2004 CD (but not 2003?); and the way the Acrobat menu buttons keep disappearing when moving between issues in 2004.

But really these are minor moans. I really hope FT does follow the plan it outlined to issue more CDs.

I've got all issues from 1994, but once they get prior to this will be buying them on CD.

I got the Issues from 63 onwards so if they had a cd or cds that had 1-62 I'd definitely be interested, either that or look forever for reasonably priced back issues lol Cheers! :lol: 8)

I would love to be able to get these...in fact wanting back issues is what lead me to forums in the first place.

Do these CDs have the entire magazine, or just select articles?

Where can they be purchased?

Thanks!

Edit: I'm located in the US, just to complicate things a bit. :)

Hi Cyberdog. Well they're being advertised in Fortean Times itself over here in England and it's a cdrom of a year's worth of FT on each one, think there's 4 years so far. I don't know much more than that so maybe you should see if there's a contact address on the site here for info. I'm looking for the issues in the 1970's (nos 1-62) and the ones mentioned on the cdroms are from the last few years and I have those issues already. If it is the whole 12 issues on each cdrom then it's great for people who want a taster of FT. So yeah if I was you I'd contact one of the head honchos on this site. Sorry I haven't been much help but I'm still quite new on here so still finding my way, but good luck anyway!! :lol: 8)

Does anyone know what format they're in? As if it's PDF I would be very interested in the older ones (if/when they get released...)

Check the latest FT for exciting news regarding the older FTs on cdrom, don't know what format they're in as I'm not a PC expert, I can go online and that's the best I can do lol!! :lol: :shock: 8)

They are excellent space savers, save your precious originals from damage and degredation, and having a whole year on a disk complete with search facility is great.

BUT

I do find them difficult to read. The typeface breaks down as I zoom in, so I have to squint to "merge" the letters again. Which, of course, means I can't do much browsing.

Having said that, I'll still buy them because, well, it's the only way to get back issues now, innit? And hopefully one day some kind of screen resolution thing will be worked out and better so I can read them propertly.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to improve the viewing, I'd be most grateful.

Ravenstone said:
In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to improve the viewing, I'd be most grateful.

If you're using Windoze, try turning on "font smoothing"

I bought the full set at UnCon.

Expensive, that.

Haven't had a look at them yet. Been too busy with other things.

Well when you do go through them all could you give us a review and say their good and not so good points? Be nice to have an unbiased Fortean perspective on them, cheers! 8)

ArthurASCII said:
If you're using Windoze, try turning on "font smoothing"

Thanks, Arthur, I'll try that., if I can find it!

I noticed 2005 is available now, as is the first few. May have to spread these out a bit.

It it possible to buy the CDs by cheque? I only see options for credit cards in the magazine article.

Back