• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT138

A

Anonymous

Dracula origin reference requested

About a year about in FT, there was a short article proposing an origin for Bram Stoker's Dracula different from the Vlad The Impaler version. It had to do with local folklore.

Can anyone supply the issue number for this article?

Thank you!

I think there have been a couple of references over the past year.

If memory serves correctly, the first one stated that Bram Stoker knew little more about Vlad Tepes beyond his surname. I'm sure it also refered to a source of inspiration for Dracula being a blood drinking Irishman.

Wasn't the more recent mention that Mr. Impaler was more like Gengis Khan than the old fictional smoothy? I could be wrong though, and a can't be arsed to go searching just now. Sorry.

-Justin.

This was at the same time as a couple of longish articles in the English Guardian about a church in Dublin where corpses are 'miraculously' preserved in a crypt. The preservation has to do with the presence of oak trees whose roots give off tanning chemicals.
This church, with its grisly occupants, was a popular tourist attraction in Stoker's time and he is known to have visited. If we can't come up with the FT issue number, you might try searching the Guardian website.

It was on page 10 of issue 138 in an article entitled Dracula was from Derry. I seem to remember there was a very critical reply to the article in the Letters pages a few issues later.

The church in Dublin is St Michan's in Church Street, well worth a visit & still open to the public.

Thank you

Spook said:
It was on page 10 of issue 138 in an article entitled Dracula was from Derry. I seem to remember there was a very critical reply to the article in the Letters pages a few issues later.

Back