• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT149

A

Anonymous

Disturbing photo

Has anybody noticed the strange likeness all the nuns share who are filing past the body of the saint in the August issue of the FT ? I looked at this several times and couldn't believe how similar they all looked.

Spooky, or has some photographic jiggery pokery been done ?

Moggadon

:confused: I agree they do look like clones, I think it's a little like dog owners, after a while they get to look like their pets.

Yeah I noticed that too, actually. There's summat weird going on there!

I agree, although they appear to be different heights.

-Justin.

True-believers Vs True-disbelievers Article.

'War of the words II' by Peter Brookesmith.
FT149:pg43:

True-believers' "trust is analogous to the ancients' faith in casting lots- that humanity does not (may never, perhaps cannot) know everything there is to know about the Universe. This essentially religious instinct is pitted against a caricature of science as both Know-All and Know Nothing."

I consider this to be a not unreasonable thing to think, and assumed it to fit in with the Fortean view of things. Am I wrong?

Also on pg. 44 at the end of 'Reason Under Siege?':

"When these sceptics attack New Agers, I always have this uncomfortable feeling that their religion is being singled out. Somebody makes a testable health claim? OK, test it! Somebody professes belief in a one-ness of life? Let them get on with their own life, and find another hobby for yourself."

Surely, if someone professes their beliefs, whatever they may be, they are not getting on with their own life but attempting to influence others, for better or for worse. Isn't that reason enough to question it?

-Justin.

It's one thing to say 'this is what I believe and it's important to me' and quite annother to say 'this is the truth unbelievers will perish in the fires of hell'.

I believe that I have the right to believe that I want and to talk about my faith in public without being ridiculed. After all, there is no way to dissprove most religious standpoints so why argue on points of fact.

However you also have the right to say 'You believe what you like, I am unconvinced'. It's all about how you say it.

I don't have much faith to speak of but I think it's unfair to ridicule the beliefs of those who do. In the long run what does it matter if there is no God if believing in one makes people happy.

Cujo
(that seemed much more coherent in my head)

Back