• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

FT150

Not very mysterious butterflies

In the current edition of FT (august) is a picture of a man next to a mysterious Butterfly that appeared in condensation on his bathroom window.

Although I can find no pictures now, the butterfly shape exactly mirrors that of a window sticker that we had several of back in the early 80s. I would guess that a previous owner of the house had some of these and removed them before selling it, leaving traces of the glue that hold a bit more condensation. A good co-incidence, but not a big mystery I'm afraid.

Butterflies are not pretty creatures, they are moths in drag.

And they are seriously weird. There is a story of a butterfly that
appears every year on the same window in a schoolroom somewhere.
Well, not the same butterfly, presumably but a similar one every year.
Go on tell me it was a sticker!

Actually I think that was one of the dullest items on Fortean TV. :eek:

No, for the prize for weirdest butterfly of them all goes to the Cabbage
White which manifested itself by obscuring the dials on a gas meter.
Only it was inside the meter. And the meter was a completely sealed
unit.

Can't find the reference for it now. But it must have happened!
;)

Probably something about the butterfly effect of chaos theory and the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics going together.

For some reason when we replaced a light bulb one day we also found a lot of dead insects in the socket. Which should be a closed place.

So with the chaos theory thing you are suggesting there is a storm somewhere in the world and because of that a butterfly gets trapped in a boiler?

Sweet!

Interesting thought here- could the butterfly effect happen to things said as well, so a person here says "I don't believe in fairies" and somewhere in the world a fairy dies?

James Webb (FT150)

Having read Gary Lachman's article on James Webb I have found myself keen to know more. It seems to me that Webb is related to the men that Colin Wilson wrote about in "The Outsider", a man oveburdened by his own thought processes.

Does anyone have any further resources, reading or links to do with James Webb? I am unemployed at the moment, so unless I find it in a charity shop or at the library, I'm not able to get a hold of anything that involves cash exchange.

For notes on one of the reasons for my interest in Webb, see my posting on James Webb and experiences of time.

It's a long time since something has resonated with me so much. "Hoist with my own petard" indeed.

Back