• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fuelling Crime

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,807299,00.html

Frying squad foils cooking oil car scam

Martin Wainwright
Wednesday October 9, 2002
The Guardian

A special police unit nicknamed the "frying squad" has been formed in a market town where hundreds of drivers are believed to be running their diesel cars on cooking oil.
Sniffing out unusually fragrant exhaust fumes, highway patrols have already collared several dozen offenders, who save more than 40p a litre by diverting oil from the kitchen cupboard to under the bonnet.
The Asda supermarket in Llanelli, south Wales, has slapped a ration on cooking oil sales, after astonished internal auditors found that it was selling far more than any other outlet in the country. Customs investigators are also involved in the "sniff patrols", which home in on any car smelling like a mobile fish and chip shop.
"It's a serious offence," said Bill O'Leary, spokesman for customs and excise, which levies tax on motor oil but not on the version used in saucepans. "By law, all cars on public roads must pay a tax on the fuel they use. Evasion carries a maximum seven-year jail term."
According to one victim of the crackdown, who did not want to be named, substituting 32p-a-litre cooking oil, with a dash of methanol, worked as sweetly in his diesel Subaru as the real, 73p-a-litre thing.
But the tell-tale odour proved his undoing when an unmarked police car flagged him down. "The officer went to the fuel tank, dipped it, and found cooking oil. I put my hands up to the offence but the car was towed away," he said. His oil savings vanished in a £500 fine for using illegal, untaxed fuel and £150 required as a towing fee.
Dyfed Powys police said they were working with customs on a stop-and-check basis because of the problem in Llanelli. While Asda limited cooking oil sales per customer, an AA spokeswoman said fry-driving "could severely damage your vehicle. You should always follow the manufacturer's instructions about which fuel to use".

Sniffing out unusually fragrant exhaust fumes, highway patrols have already collared several dozen offenders, who save more than 40p a litre by diverting oil from the kitchen cupboard to under the bonnet.
So this is what the police are doing instead of catching real criminals......war against the motorist? what war against the motorist?:(

Dyfed Powys police said they were working with customs on a stop-and-check basis because of the problem in Llanelli. While Asda limited cooking oil sales per customer, an AA spokeswoman said fry-driving "could severely damage your vehicle.........

......and also ruin the chips you put in with it;)

i was told u could run a diesel car on straight Asda cookin oil a few months ago but havent tried it (hell at 80mpg+) is it worth the agro!... besides i thought everyone in rural areas ran red diesel anyway..........

sidecar_jon said:
besides i thought everyone in rural areas ran red diesel anyway..........

yep, although it does tend to freeze in cold weather ... not that I'd know of course :chuffed:

I was talkin to a bike MOT guy a few months ago he told me one amuseing story...Seems one guy came in with a rather interesting motorcycle and sidecar..a Ural a Russian outfit which as Russian outfits tend to do had exploded its engine. And the cahp had transplanted a small car diesel engin into the space it left!... truble is it failed its MOT ..the guy asked why and was told... "I cant get any emisions registering on the exhaust probe....i sugest u stop running it on central heating oil at lest when u bring it here for an MOT!"

er........they're making a plant to make the fuel now

Plans to build a £10m factory capable of converting used cooking oil into fuel have been announced.
Argent Energy claims that the plant near Newarthill, Motherwell, would be the largest of its kind in the world.

The company says that the first large-scale biodiesel production unit in Scotland would be capable of creating 50m litres of fuel a year.

Back