• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fundamentalist swimwear

And trousers are simply not practical for swimming
As modelled here, by one of the world's best swimmers?
Ah well, I don't doubt the world's best swimmers could butterfly in a tuxedo and wellies, but I find it easier in the nude :)

Strange I often go about looking quite revealing. However I am happily married (for over 12 years) and don't behave "sluttishly". I also don't feal "cheap", I feel rather "expensive" actually as I am proud of my looks and like to share them. I have also enough self esteem and intelligence to ward off MEN (but I have to say, it must be my generally dark appearance that apart from the bravest usually keeps them quiet). Furthermore why is it so brilliant to be all covered up? Who made up that BS?
This is gonna be an old chestnut but if this god was really that bothered about nudity wouldn't we have fur or something?
There is no such thing as sluttish dress, only tastless dress. Miniskirts on one person can look very dignified, depending of the make and size and colour etc. Others are well ugly. I think I find it more offensive when religeous people dress up all modestly but can't hold down a marriage. I personally couldn't care less what others wear but calling people who wear more revealing clothes "lesser people" or "sinful" people is a load of old cobblers.
As to the swimmwear. LOGIC tells us its not right, it's like making brick-boots for walking, nobody would think its right because its illogical.

Dingo666, I just have to say that I love your last post. It said exactly what I was trying to find a way to say! :D

Not swimwear but sporting jilbab's:

Girls in a refugee camp in northern Kenya have started playing volleyball for the first time thanks to specially designed sportswear for Muslim women.

Some Muslims believe girls should wear a jilbab - a traditional Islamic dress - which hampers agility.

Sports wear company Nike worked with the girls to find something appropriate and presented the designs last year.

Initially camp leaders renounced the outfits, but the girls have now convinced them of their suitability.

The UN refugee agency's Olivier Delarue, who saw one of the first volleyball matches, said the girls had a choice of outfits and went for the most traditional.

"It still allows them to move more freely, as they are made of a very modern type of fabric. It looks something like pants covered with a jilbab," he told the BBC World Today programme after returning from a visit to Dadaab refugee camp.

"For the girls it has been very liberating," he said.

Many of the more than 127,000 people living in the camps in the north fled Somalia 15 years ago after the fall of President Siad Barre.

Life in the camps is particularly difficult for young girls and only a few of them are able to get an education.

"There's a lot of harassment and problems from the community because of the culture. Playing sports gives the girls a break from their daily life," says Adar Osman Horar, a female community leader in Dadaab.

It also encourages them to continue with their education as the sports activities are linked to the schools, she explained.

Nike, which has been supporting educational projects in the camps for the past three years with UNHCR, sent four designers to the field last June to research designs.

Anything that showed the shape of the body was out of the question, plus it had to be comfortable for playing in the heat.

Mr Delarue says the traditional leaders, who had at first rejected them, were eventually won round.

"They were convinced that indeed the world was moving forward and they had to adjust their thinking as well," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4838480.stm

Bishop in Croatia seeks a bikini ban

Bishop in Croatia seeks a bikini ban

ZAGREB, Croatia (AP) — A bishop on a northwestern Croatian island has asked authorities to declare a "decency zone" in the city's center, to ban regular summertime promenades of tourists wearing nothing but swimsuits.Ivan Kordic, bishop of Krk island, said "scarcely dressed" people "harm the morale, the spirit and the soul" of other people in the city, in a letter to city officials.

Krk authorities have not responded to the letter yet.

But tourist officials and many residents have already rejected the idea, arguing that in Krk, as most other Croatian tourist resorts, city centers are adjacent to beaches and it is therefore normal for people to walk around, have a drink or do some shopping in their swimsuits. Besides, a dress code could put off tourists, who are responsible for most of the island's — and the country's — hard currency income, they said.

"It's quite logical that one should be dressed decently when entering a holy place," Majda Sale, a local tourist worker, told a local newspaper. "But walking in public places is a question of personal freedoms and a good taste."

The Roman Catholic church is highly influential in Croatia, where about 90% of people are members. The church has so far successfully protested against yoga classes in schools, an AIDS program that taught pupils how to use condoms, and shopping on Sundays.

Bikini

Back