• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fungal Forteana / Fortean Fungi

Went to the allotment today.
As an aside I went to throw some weeds into one of the compost bins only to startle a large slow worm sitting inside.
I quickly put the lid back on and left well alone. But we had an alert a few weeks back after someone reported to the council that they had seen an adder on the plot. A female plot holder had attacked and killed a slow worm ( highly illegal) in the mistaken belief it was an adder (also illegal to kill) in a separate incident a couple of years ago.
I emailed the council by return to tell them no one had ever seen an adder on the site but there is s good population of slow worms, may be a case of mistaken identity.
I’ve suggested they put some posters on the notice board of our indigenous reptiles and how legislation protects them.

Went to the allotment today. Haven’t been for a couple of weeks due to rain but managed to crop a goodly amount of kale and peas. But I noticed these two fun guys had sprouted whilst I was away.
Can our own Fun Guy identify these fungi’s?View attachment 68276

View attachment 68277
First one is giant polypore and the second is turkey tail. The first one should be thicker and more fleshly whereas the second should be only a few mm thick.

From the Dutch mycology Facebook group. This grew in someone's flowerpot.

Note: maybe this thread should be moved to here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?forums/fortean-flora.65/

FB_IMG_1692730643814.jpg

That looks like Leucocoprinus burnbaumii which is very common in plant pots believe it or not!

And as to the suggested move, no, because fungi are not flora.

You are good! That was also the consensus of the Dutch mycologists.
And I agree that fungi are not Flora, but now they're in general forteana, and that feels a bit too ... general. I would be ok with putting it in fauna :)

Obligatory xkcd reference:
https://xkcd.com/1749/

I have a fungal toenail infection, I fear that I'll turn into a Zombie a la The Girl With All The Gifts.

The Battle Against the Fungal Apocalypse Is Just Beginning​

Fungal infections are rising worldwide and climate change may be to blame. Medicine isn’t ready.

IN FEBRUARY, A dermatologist in New York City contacted the state’s health department about two female patients, ages 28 and 47, who were not related but suffered from the same troubling problem. They had ringworm, a scaly, crusty, disfiguring rash covering large portions of their bodies. Ringworm sounds like a parasite, but it is caused by a fungus—and in both cases, the fungus was a species that had never been recorded in the US. It was also severely drug-resistant, requiring treatment with several types of antifungals for weeks. There was no indication where the patients might have acquired the infections; the older woman had visited Bangladesh the previous summer, but the younger one, who was pregnant and hadn’t traveled, must have picked it up in the city.

That seemed alarming—but in one of the largest and most mobile cities on the planet, weird medical things happen. The state reported the cases to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the New York doctors and some CDC staff wrote up an account for the CDC’s weekly journal.

Then, in March, some of those same CDC investigators reported that a fungus they had been tracking—Candida auris, an extremely drug-resistant yeast that invades health care facilities and kills two-thirds of the people infected with it—had risen to more than 10,000 cases since it was identified in the US in 2016, tripling in just two years. In April, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services rushed to investigate cases of a fungal infection called blastomycosis centered on a paper mill, an outbreak that would grow to 118 people, the largest ever recorded. And in May, US and Mexican health authorities jointly rang an alarm over cases of meningitis, caused by the fungus Fusarium solani, which seemed to have spread to more than 150 clinic patients via contaminated anesthesia products. By mid-August, 12 people had died.

All of those outbreaks are different: in size, in pathogen, in location, and the people they affected. But what links them is that they were all caused by fungi—and to the small cadre of researchers who keep track of such things, that is worrisome. The experts share a sense, supported by incomplete data but also backed by hunch, that serious fungal infections are occurring more frequently, affecting more people, and also are becoming harder to treat.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-battle-against-the-fungal-apocalypse-is-just-beginning/

Someone's making actual working surfboards out of mushrooms .. dude ..
'Mycelium is a compound that is found in a wide range of fungi. It forms a root-like structure that has wide ranging benefits across natural ecosystems.
Its properties have also been found to have significant potential for other man-made uses.
Mr Davies uses mycelium to act as a glue between a moulded, natural skeleton structure that he forms in a mould.
It is between the skeleton, made of materials like straw, that the mycelium roots grow to form a polystyrene-like material - one that is ideal for shaping a board.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64663009

Someone's making actual working surfboards out of mushrooms .. dude ..
'Mycelium is a compound that is found in a wide range of fungi. It forms a root-like structure that has wide ranging benefits across natural ecosystems.
Its properties have also been found to have significant potential for other man-made uses.
Mr Davies uses mycelium to act as a glue between a moulded, natural skeleton structure that he forms in a mould.
It is between the skeleton, made of materials like straw, that the mycelium roots grow to form a polystyrene-like material - one that is ideal for shaping a board.'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-64663009
Came across this very interesting article ~ concerning the uses, and further possible use of fungal mycelium which I thought provided more of an understanding of what this natural growth could be adapted for - given an inventive future.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-mycelium-revolution-is-upon-us/

Came across this very interesting article ~ concerning the uses, and further possible use of fungal mycelium which I thought provided more of an understanding of what this natural growth could be adapted for - given an inventive future.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-mycelium-revolution-is-upon-us/
All hail mycelium. Not to mention Bill Hick's stand up comedy routine that 'magic mushrooms' probably helped early humans have their first abstract thoughts so are probably also responsible for religion ... and now we can even make surf boards out of them as well Sid! .. what are they going to pull out of their little sleeves next?. I can't wait.

All hail mycelium. Not to mention Bill Hick's stand up comedy routine that 'magic mushrooms' probably helped early humans have their first abstract thoughts so are probably also responsible for religion ... and now we can even make surf boards out of them as well Sid! .. what are they going to pull out of their little sleeves next?. I can't wait.
Maybe memory boards/cards - if they are able to carry electrical impulses ~ possibly?
*[added comment] After checking online it turns out that it's not such a daft question after all. . .
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...ch-other-using-electrical-impulses-180979889/

Last edited:
This forthcoming slow-mo IMAX film narrated by Bjork may interest a few of you ...

Anybody remember some guy cooking and eating Death cap live on TV in the 1970s or early 1980s? I can't remember what program it was but it was to try out an antidote that he had concocted. He never reappeared so I assume it didn't work.
Strange, but I have a similar memory. I didn’t see it but somehow heard about it. It might have used massive doses of vitamin B. But in my vague memory it worked.

Anybody remember some guy cooking and eating Death cap live on TV in the 1970s or early 1980s? I can't remember what program it was but it was to try out an antidote that he had concocted. He never reappeared so I assume it didn't work.
It may have worked if he'd come across this at the time - Called indocyanine green (ICG) which seems to act as an antidote (in mice), to counteract (AMA) ~ the Death Cap Mushroom.
https://www.livescience.com/health/...-for-death-caps-the-worlds-deadliest-mushroom

Would need to see the underside to be sure but from that view it looks like Paxillus involutus, the brown roll rim.
Thanks for identifying, my app does not work with this picture (works surprisingly well on mushrooms in 70% of cases). Your identification is very convincing.

Note: that's a nasty mushroom :)

Previously considered edible and eaten widely in Eastern and Central Europe, it has since been found to be dangerously poisonous, after being responsible for the death of German mycologist Julius Schäffer in 1944. It had been recognized as causing gastric upsets when eaten raw, but was more recently found to cause potentially fatal autoimmune hemolysis, even in those who had consumed the mushroom for years without any other ill effects. An antigen in the mushroom triggers the immune system to attack red blood cells. Serious and commonly fatal complications include acute kidney injury, shock, acute respiratory failure, and disseminated intravascular coagulation.

Back