• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Gaslighting

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Can't see a gaslighting thread, so here's a big story from October this year:

Benjamin Field case

I was reading about him in FT 386. It's incredible how persuasive some sick minds can be, this guy was convincing people - elderly people - they were going mad or getting messages from God, all so he could murder them and take their money. But the lengths he went to are absolutely outrageous, he had dozens of people on a list he drew up of potential victims, some of whom were taken in. You may think you're perfectly reasonable and able to realise when you're being lied to or misled for others' gain, but this worrying tale indicates that is not always true.

The guy was part of a church congregation, so he was half way there to begin with. The number of church goers who get duped seems to be out of proportion the to general population.

From what I recall of the case, Mr Farquar was vulnerable as he was showing some symptoms of dementia, before Field started to work on him.

At his trial, I think the defence attempted to turn Field's autism to their advantage, claiming that his elaborate plots were sheer fantasy.

He does appear to have played on the emotional needs of his victims in a chilling way. The money motive doesn't really seem an explanation. :(

From what I recall of the case, Mr Farquar was vulnerable as he was showing some symptoms of dementia, before Field started to work on him.

At his trial, I think the defence attempted to turn Field's autism to their advantage, claiming that his elaborate plots were sheer fantasy.

He does appear to have played on the emotional needs of his victims in a chilling way. The money motive doesn't really seem an explanation. :(

Field was actually spiking the poor man's food and drink with hallucinogens to speed up the process. It's an appalling case.

It is horrifying to think that there are things out there ready to destroy our loved ones on a whim, we dont need demons and whatever evil things we think are out there, the real evil are us, well, not me personally, or all of you, well, not that i know of

I don't know if any of you remember a film called 'The power if zero' ?

It was about a mind game played on a professor. Essentially he was brainwashed into believing that the first counting number was zero, not 1.

It was discovered when his landlady asked him for the rent. (say it was five Pound), and he paid her in £1 notes. He gave her six.
She said ' no, that's one too many'.

No, look. 0,1,2,3,4,5.

I would like him to pay me my wages then, what happened at the end of the film?

Can't remember. it was many years ago. I think he may have been 'repaired' in some psychiatric establishment.

I don't know if any of you remember a film called 'The power if zero' ?

It was about a mind game played on a professor. Essentially he was brainwashed into believing that the first counting number was zero, not 1.

It was discovered when his landlady asked him for the rent. (say it was five Pound), and he paid her in £1 notes. He gave her six.
She said ' no, that's one too many'.

No, look. 0,1,2,3,4,5.
Did he go on to have a career as a programmer?

Did he go on to have a career as a programmer?

Last I heard he was with Microsoft. Trying to fix bugs in W95. No one has told him that they have moved on. A sad case.

But Prof, it's 1,2,4,8

No, No. look. 0,1,2,4,8

5 pounds for rent? Was this a movie from tudor times?

5 pounds for rent? Was this a movie from tudor times?

Back in the fifties my parents paid £2.47 per week for a three bedroom stone built detached house in about half an acre of garden. We could have bought it for £1000.

You have to relate it to the incomes at the time.

Today's price for the same house is around £180,000

Back in the fifties my parents paid £2.47 per week for a three bedroom stone built detached house in about half an acre of garden. We could have bought it for £1000.

You have to relate it to the incomes at the time.

Today's price for the same house is around £180,000

Just out of interest where can I buy a 3 bedroom stone built detached house with half an acre of garden for 180k?

Ahh I see I haven't been there decades, I just see newspaper articles talking about the average UK house price.

Where I live though you could probably buy a whole street for 180K and within commuting distance of the Capital as well.

Where did you say you live ?

Now, where did I put my passport.

The average UK house prices are quite high. One advantage of living in the North. The downside is that the wages are lower and the jobs harder to come by.

Where did you say you live ?

Now, where did I put my passport.

The average UK house prices are quite high. One advantage of living in the North. The downside is that the wages are lower and the jobs harder to come by.

I live in Kyiv, Ukraine.

For example here is a new build starter flat in the suburbs for $18k - you could buy 10 of those for the price of the 3 bed up north. In fact if you bought 10 you would probably get a 10% discount which would mean you can buy another for free.

https://www.house-ua.com/en/16437-flat-for_sale-irpen-irpenskiy_gorsovet-skovorodi.html

There is a YouTube contributor who goes under 'Home made in Lviv' Well worth a look at. I don't know how far that is from you.

I have an acquaintance at the local library who's family are from that region. She is going out to see them next week. I asked her how things were over there these days. Seemed quite positive about the overall situation.

Just looked at the property link. Not bad for the money, But

'
Our customers receive a 10% discount on repairs.'

? Come on! they aren't even built yet. ;)

My Russian is limited to
да
нет
пожалуйста
благодарю вас
прощание

Though, oddly, it was the first foreign language I considered learning, back in the sixties.

Back