• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Books

A

Anonymous

Hi all, first post!

I was hoping someone out there could recommend a good book of true ghost stories.

I've already read the Faber and Faber book (True Ghost Stories of Our Own Time) and was impressed with its non-sensationalist approach to the material - made it all the more chilling. I'd be particularly interested in books that focus on more recent cases, and ones based in the UK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a mill,

Adrian :)

Visit the 'paranormal' section of your local library. You'll find lots of books on ghosts, more than you ever thought possible! All for no charge!

I sat waiting for a bus for an hour one cold foggy night, reading a library ghostie book by the streetlight, and one particular account of a railway ghost (a dwarf rose up through the floor of a train carriage, looked at the sole occupant, and silently descended again) so terrified me that I see that damned dwarf there every time I drive past!

My mate Cassandra Eason writes ghostie books. You'd love 'The Psychic Power Of Children' and 'Psychic Suburbia'. Both available in libraries!

You might also try The Encyclopedia Of Ghosts And Spirits by John and Anne Spencer. It provides a brief overview of many cases, with a good bibliography.

AdeWarren said:
I've already read the Faber and Faber book (True Ghost Stories of Our Own Time) and was impressed with its non-sensationalist approach to the material - made it all the more chilling.
I've already recommended this one a couple of times partly for the very reason you state. Unfortunately compared to the Faber book most collections of allegedly true ghost stories are pretty disappointing. All too often they lack detail, repeat the same well-known tales and occasionally try to supplement their lack of substance by using large print.

Best one I've read lately is David Clarke's Supernatural Peak Disrict. Because of their limited focus books that concentrate on a specific area can potentially go into more detail. Also with limited ground to cover any author worth his salt can go out and research or re-research stories, as David Clarke appears to have done in his book, rather than just repeat the same old stories.

Good ghost books..

Lord Halifax's Ghost Book, anything by Elliot O' Donnel, steer clear of some 'encyclopaedia' type books because they just regurgitate although they are useful for those just getting interested in ghosts etc.
There is an American directory called Directory Of Haunted Houses which is quite new and good, easy to read because it is written in snippets. Certain authors are reliable, alot of local books are generally good because they offer different little spook stories.

Back