• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Classifcation

A

Anonymous

I've been studying ghosts for a while know and have created my own way of classifying the different main types I see:

Interactive Spirit - The Ghosts acknowledges you're presence in some way. Be it eye contact, gesture or even speaking directly to you.

Formless Interactive Spirit - The Ghosts can not be seen but acknowledges you're presence in some way, normally through speech. This ghost interacts with things around it (i.e moves ornaments, opens doors, ect…) Possible that cameras and so forth can pick it up.

Shapeless Spirit - Doesn't show acknowledgement that you're are their and doesn't interact with things around it. This spirit doesn't repeat the same process every time it's seen.

Shapeless Repetition Spirit - Doesn't show acknowledgement that you're are their and doesn't interact with things around it. This spirit repeats the same process every time it's seen.

Time Repetition Sprit - This is the type of ghost that doesn't acknowledge people around it. I good example of this kind of spirit is a ghosts on battlefield that simply act out the battle, as if it was happening.

Formless Time Repetition Sprit - This is the type of ghost that doesn't acknowledge people around it. It also cannot be seen by the naked eye. Possible that cameras and so forth can pick it up.

I have started to change my view about Time Repetition and Formless Time Repetition Sprits. I no longer see them as ghosts in the conventional way. By conventional I mean spirits of the dead. I see them as imprints on time or environments that in some way get played back under certain conditions. I don’t really want to get to far into this but if anyone's interested maybe we could start another thread on this topic?

Shapeless and Shapeless Repetition Spirits I've lost interest in. Orbs for example fall into this category and while I'm sure some people find them fascinating, I don't.

How would you classify the type of spirit that doesn't iteract with it's environment in any way ..can be seen.......always carries out the same function (drifting along aimlessly ) BUT!! if seen by anyone, the person seeing it ends up suffering some mishap (dying for example)! There are a number of alleged instances of this type.A sort of 'cursed' ghost.

There are a number of alleged instances of this type.A sort of 'cursed' ghost.

Could you give an example of this type Karenlilly, or if you read about it somewhere, provide the link to the site, or title of the book, ect.?

is it pretention on my part that saugests that any viewing of a 'spirit' is an interaction and by being visable or their efects being visible they all interact (see the uncertanty principle.)

...and ofcorse the inportent interaction is the one the viewer has to the thing being viewed.

I'll get my labcoat...

The only example I can give, with any actual back-up,is the ghost which is said to appear down on the beach(well.......shingle actually!!) at Dungeness in Kent..England.
I live close by..and rumour has it...for about the past 150 years or so....that an apparition of a female...pale,drifty,dressed in white......can be seen from time to time drifting over the shingle.Anyone who see's it.......promptly snuffs it in about 2-3 days!!!!!!!!
Read about this in a book on local hauntings........
I say I have 'back-up'....that actually means a few drunken fools locally (bit like me actually!!!!)...............

Anyways............it's a spooky area..........but of course!!!Has a big history of smuggiling)spelt that wrong i bet)

Perhaps this is an old Smugglers tale designed to ward off nosey-parkers??????????(God ........my spelling is so BAD)........

Do have an ancient friend called Larry who claims to have seen said Lady...............but as the 'old bugger' is still alive....he could be lying!!!We all lie,regularly, in this part of Kent.

karenlilly said:
Perhaps this is an old Smugglers tale designed to ward off nosey-parkers??????????(God ........my spelling is so BAD)........
Nothing spelt wrong there :) Don't worry about it, most people don't mind.

Aaaanyway, I like this system. I have also come round to the belief that most ghosts are "imprints" and not actually anything spiritual at all.

I think a flaw may be using the term "spirit" in each of your categories, because this points out an assumtion you've already made. It would be better to be more open-minded about it.

Faggus said:
I think a flaw may be using the term "spirit" in each of your categories, because this points out an assumtion you've already made. It would be better to be more open-minded about it.

I also don't think that there's anything spiritual in ghosts (hence my idea of using physics to disect interactions between viewers and phenomina*)

* I realy don't know that much about physics but... :(

Can add to the above story that it was in a book called 'Ghosts of Kent ' but can't recall the writer..local chap.
That's not much use I know...
Still........would this be more a Ghoul than a Ghost????

Bannik said:
Could you give an example of this type Karenlilly, or if you read about it somewhere, provide the link to the site, or title of the book, ect.?

I'm too fried to search for it, but in the "Naked Ghosts" thread (I think it was called) we discussed Radiant Boys who are said to foretelll doom to the seer and someone provided a link.

Sort of a flip-side to that is the "gray man" (or "blue man"?) who appears on the beach in the Carolinas before a hurricane and the place where he/it appears is spared. (This just vaguely remembered on my part, might have it all wrong).

Faggus said:

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. It would be unwise to use the assumption from the outset that such events are caused by discarnate spirits. And WRT to Orbs, it's a moot point whether such things aren't anything but flaws or mundane environmental camera effects.

Bannik said:

There are also ghosts which arn't so much curses but blessings. One of these phantoms is the nun said to haunt londons covent garden theatre and fruit district, seing this nun is reputed to bring good fortune. one of the people who saw it was actor Bob Hoskins.

The first type are my favourites. The field of aviation seems to be crawling with them. Maybe pilots are too strong willed just to shuffle off?

'Dead? Me? Bugger that, I'm going for a drink!'

lopaka said:
Sort of a flip-side to that is the "gray man" (or "blue man"?) who appears on the beach in the Carolinas before a hurricane and the place where he/it appears is spared. (This just vaguely remembered on my part, might have it all wrong).

Nope you have it right, the Gray Man. An old fisherman in some kind of rain gear appears to warn the locals of hurricanes so the fishermen can get in safely and the locale can prepare.

Thanks for all that info folks.

originally posted by Karenlilly.......would this be more a Ghoul than a Ghost????

A ghoul is a legendary creature that digs graves and feeds on human corpses. In a broader sense, Zombies and Vampires can be placed in the category of ghoul, but these are reanimated corpses while a ghost is discarnate spirit.

Ghouls are also the creatures responsible for all those 'Princess Diana' dolls and things...:cross eye

Reading about the Hampton Court Ghost on the CNN site made think of another category. "Disturbed Ghosts" I always kind of thought the idea that our spirits slept peacefully until our remains were disturbed was a silly superstition compared to other more "scientific" ghost theories (like time slips, time recordings, non-human entities, human spirits roaming free and confused, etc.) But here is another mention.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/19/hampton.ghost.ap/index.html
Her son, Edward, had a nurse called Sibell Penn who was buried in the palace grounds in 1562. In 1829 her tomb was disturbed by building work, and around the same time an odd whirring noise began to be heard in the southwest wing of the palace. When workmen traced the strange sounds to a brick wall, they uncovered a small forgotten room containing an old spinning wheel, just like the one Penn used to use.
I guess the theory we accept here is that Sibell's spirit woke when her body was disturbed, yawned, stretched and set out find her spinning wheel to a days work done despite all of us.

I think the French term 'revenant' applies to this sort of ghost (i.e. one who returns, in a way).

Back