• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ghost puddle?

A

Anonymous

this story's a little tame, but just happened and might give you all a slight 'hmm?'...

i was just on my break at 2pm, crossing over from where i work to the little drugstore across the square.

as i reached about the halfway point, walking and looking straight ahead, i saw a sizable puddle of water (2x3 ft?) in my lower peripheral, maybe 6 feet ahead of me.

as i glanced down to see the best way around it, it was no longer there. dry brick.

it's only 75 F out today, not humid, and at that short a distance a mirage is out of the question.
..having gotten some heavy rain this weekend from the edges of hurricane charley, a puddle in the square wouldn't have been odd at all.

i can't just write it off as a floater or spot in my vision- it was a fairly clear peripheral vision, so much so that for the second i saw it, i could even see the sky and oak branches overhead reflected in it.

hmm?

similar tales?

(-edit- i'm thinking more of a time/dimension skip than actual ghostly event...)

told ya

it was lame, but it happened to me, so i figured.........
surely SOMEONE else has seen such a glitch, right?

Was the floor relfective at all? Was there a window or skylight nearby? If not, I guess it may well have been a weird "blip" in your vision.

nope

no reflective surface. outdoor,sunlight, cobbled brick.
i guess i've just got macular degeneration! lol!

Re: nope

travbot said:
no reflective surface. outdoor,sunlight, cobbled brick.
i guess i've just got macular degeneration! lol!

Lol :D If you see anything like that though, maybe you should go to an Optician? You never know, and some weird sight things come on with almost no warning. My Gran woke up a couple of months ago and found she could barely see out of one of her eyes. Granted, she's in her 70s and has family history of Glaucoma, but still...

(Sorry, i'm being motherly, aren't I? :D)

Just a thought, but the sun's still quite high in the sky at 14:00.

Perhaps some sunlight was reflected onto the pavement from the surface of a window during a break in the clouds?

Actually, I've seen mirages when there's been little heat or humidity; just saw one a week or so ago, for that matter and it wasn't that far off. Not discounting that it could have been something like a timeslip For all I know, that's what I saw but I just wrote it off as a mirage. I DO remember thinking it wasn't hot enough for one but I decided then that it doesn't need to be. :err:

Perhaps a puddle of heavier than air gas, maybe someone had dropped some dry ice.

Was it just onea those sun-shadow thingos?

Y'know, where yer driving along, and you see a black spill in the road, but it turns out to be the sun playing tricks on your eyes...

I have no idea what it's called or why the sun does that, however.

Back