• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Told Me To 'Shut Up'

A

Anonymous

I've always been fascinated by the paranormal and the unexplained but have felt not living in an old house or the Southern states of America that I was at a severe disadvantage of ever having first hand experience of any sort of strange goings-on. That was until just the other night.

I was the only one in the house but I had that dreadful feeling of being watched....

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/shutup.shtml

Link is dead. See post below for complete text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, but maybe your spook is always around but you don't do anything normally to upset him so he doesn't show himself, however, with a cold, could it be that you were snoring and he didn't like it?

I don't base this on any experience, it just popped into my head when I read your account.

Regards

spooks about

I have often in my life "felt" or in some way experienced what I took to be other beings around me when I'm ill, especially when I was younger. Many times I was absolutely SURE there were people (or ghosts, or...) around my bed when I would wake up in the night when I had the flu or something. I just knew they were there. Sometimes I was sure I could see them. It didn't really concerne me much as it had been going on for as long as I could remember. Sometimes I was sure I was woken up by their mutterings and mumblings but on ocasion by the shouting of something at me, usually short and sharp not unlike "SHUT UP".

So are there reasons why we're more prone to being visited by spirit-like beings when we're sick? Or is it some quirk of the human mind that when the body is ill we are more likely to have such an episode as this that, although unreal, imprints itself all the more?

Re: spooks about

rexmundy said:
Many times I was absolutely SURE there were people (or ghosts, or...) around my bed when I would wake up in the night ...

Imagining this is enough to put you off having a "tommy tank" even in the privacy of your own bedroom!

What a scary though that everything you do could have an audience!

thanks

Uncle Bulgaria

I wish I could help you on your experience, I can't. I probably wouldn't have made it through that night, fainting dead away. Can't handle that stuff....I did however have to laugh out loud at your' spooks response, caught me completely off gaurd *hehehheeh* ~~Heather

Sorry for the late addition, only I've just joined up (although I've been interested in the fortean side of things for years).

3.18 is a significant time as I seem to recall reading somewhere that the ancient Taoist Chinese believed that was the time when the earth's energies flipped over.
Many people awake for no reason about 3.30 GMT and I just wonder if what you saw related to this.

Yes, thanks for that Jimv... I woke up at
exactly 3:18 this morning due to the house
making a HUGE settling noise. Of course, my
mind wandered to this thread and I started
wondering if I should stop looking around the
room before I actually SEE something! ;)

Then I woke up with a start at exactly 3:30, as well!

Tired, but present...
TVgeek

I haven't had the 3:18 experience, but I do always seem to end up glancing at the clock at 7:11 a LOT......always wondered why that was :)

Jimv:

I'm very interested in learning more about this 3:18/3:30 am wake-up phenomena.

I had no idea this was a somewhat common event! My husband and I are often awakened at 3:30 am, sometimes together, sometimes individually. We've theorized that there must be a loud vehicle or person passing the house at the same time each morning, so I was quite shocked to read your post.

From your mention of this being a Chinese belief, the phenomena would have to move through the time zones (as opposed to a single worldwide flip).

Do tell more.

Sounds remarkably like a hypnopompic hallucination. I've had several, and they're rather alarming, but they are just hallucinations, and nothing to worry about IMO.

aren't the occurence of hallucinations more common when ill, due to higher body tempereture etc

GHOST THING - Hypnopompic hallucination - possibly.

When i read the original post i thought that flu would increase your body temperature which the brain doesn't like, therefore increasing the chances of seeing these things.

But people see these things when they're ill and not feverish - like my mother during labour when she began to haemorrhage - so it could be that the state of being ill, like the state your mind is in during sleep, or whilst on drugs, allows you to percieve things you wouldn't ordinarily percieve despite the fact that they may be around you all the time. It's a thought, anyway.

3.00 AM THING - I have read, and I was told by a couple of nurses (separately), that 3.00am is a common hour for the elderly to pass away!!
Also that on a night-shift 3-4.00am is the hour of the night that sorely tests your determination to remain awake and that as soon as 4.00am goes by you can certainly remain awake with a lot less trouble.

Related to the above I also read something my health visitor gave to new mothers that said your natural 'bio-rhythms' 'dip' at 3.00pm and 3.00am and that at both these times - (should you be unfortunate to be up for the am one) - you should have a snack to avoid fatigue and irritability! Don't know what that might have to do with anything but I thought I'd mention it as it was connected to the 3.18-30 business.

Right, having the bad fortune to work the 11-7 shift as a nurse in a hospital for 2 years, what you have related is so true; both 3am being a common time for expiration, so to speak, and 3-4am being prime conking-out time. We were always told to eat an apple or something equally as laborious to chew to help keep us awake.

Being so sleepy at this time, it was not uncommon to see and hear things, also our thinking was muddled, kind of like dreaming while awake. After eating we were fine, and after4 am passed we were usually downright hyper.

Maybe the Chinese theory was developed after the effects of the bodies biorythyms were felt, as an explination for such.

Okay. I know I'm going to sound a bit nutty but I just HAVE to tell you that in David M Jacobs 'the threat' (about aliens) it says that 3.30am is a very common 'time' for people to be awoken, and John A Keel in Mothman Prophecies notes that Wednesdays keep coming up for paranormal phenomena so maybe that might mean something to those people who keep waking up for no reason?

...Weeelll! You had my science-based opinion. I thought you might like my paranormal opinion.:rolleyes: ;) ;)

Yep this is true enough; I work at a newspaper laying out last-minute news on a Monday night/Tuesday morning, and everyone gets progressively more tired from 11pm until around 3am - if we manage to get past 3am, we can stay up for the rest of the night.

Indeed, last time we stayed until 6am. I felt ready to tackle the next day without any sleep at all, and found it really difficult to get to sleep again.

Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams called it ; 'The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul' and even wrote a book about it ... very funny it was too.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

-------------------------------------------

GHOST TOLD ME TO 'SHUT UP'

Matt Davenport

I've always been fascinated by the paranormal and the unexplained but have felt not living in an old house or the Southern states of America that I was at a severe disadvantage of ever having first hand experience of any sort of strange goings-on. That was until just the other night.

I was the only one in the house but I had that dreadful feeling of being watched. I had been ill during the day and had taken a couple of tablets but I still don't think that could explain what I would later witness. I went to bed hoping to sleep off the flu-like symptoms I had been suffering from completely forgetting about the sensation of being watched that was until later on.

I was woken all of a sudden at precisely 3:18 I opened my eyes to see a face literally right in front of me. Slowly this figure moved to the end of the bed and appeared to be floating. He was about three quarters the size of a normal human being he looked like an old man maybe late fifties to early sixties he was bald had glasses and he was wearing a blue shirt with a red tie. His legs appeared to end at the knee. The figure hovered there for what seemed about 10 seconds. The apparition then shouted 'SHUT UP!!' and vanished into what looked like a ripple in midair.

Thinking back I was amazed at the incredible definition of the figure. It looked so real reading through other peoples experiences the figure they saw was more shadow-like.

I was mainly wondering if any of this is consistent with anyone elses experiences or whether the tablets for the common cold are stronger than any LSD available.

Its the strangest thing I have ever witnessed but I am strangely looking forward to seeing if anything like this will ever be repeated.

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20040218151531/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/shutup.shtml

Back