• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghost Walks In Stockport—Anyone Fancy It?

Hiya, are there a lot of haunted places in stockport? If so, news to me.

whiner said:
Hiya, are there a lot of haunted places in stockport? If so, news to me.

Well, according to the site, yeah! And yes. News to me too.

Hey guys,

my girlfriend has been on the ghost walks in stockport and she says it was pretty spooky and also a good night of visiting a few local pubs and getting some history of stockport. If i remember rightly it was based more around the market area of stockport.

enjoy the night if you decide to go.

Gunther91

p.s. are there a lot of us stockport locals on FTMB??

gunther91 said:
Hey guys,

my girlfriend has been on the ghost walks in stockport and she says it was pretty spooky and also a good night of visiting a few local pubs and getting some history of stockport. If i remember rightly it was based more around the market area of stockport.

enjoy the night if you decide to go.

Gunther91

p.s. are there a lot of us stockport locals on FTMB??

Well, for my sins, I'm now in Cheagle Eaf, so that's what, TWO of us at least!

A slideshow of stockport with no chavs, now that's earie :lol:

Martin Mills wrote a book on Haunted Stockport many moons ago. I know Stockport Library's local history department have a copy of this book. There are plenty of haunted sites to visit around Stockport although not all focused in the town centre.

I believe the Ghost club Club Zero run the walks.

Did you guys ever meet up and go to one of the walks? If so, did you enjoy it?

No.

Think this community is a little too disparate. :?

Shame. You should go along. I went to the one Martin Mills ran a long time ago and it was very interesting.

There is big business in "ghost walks / ghost sleep overs" at the moment due to the Most Haunted effect and the large portion of society willing to believe without question. The fees some people charge are the only scary thing that is going on!

Totally agree with you. Ghost hunting has become big business and I feel progammes such as Most Haunted effect have been detrimental to the bona fide research into ghosts.

I find the MH effect a little wierd.

I mean, in 6 years of tarting about in the countries most haunted houses what have they got? Nowt really. The odd 'orb'. Some idiot throwing things around and expecting us to believe it's unexpected, David Wells pushing a glass around a table, Derek Acorah rehearsing for the Skelmersdale Xmas panto, and Stuart using inappropriate expletives ("I aint F*****G scared of you" - to an apparent gentile Medieval lady???), falling over and going comically bald. Oh, and Yvette's lovely line in bubble coats. ('Most Haunted -sponsored by Matalan').

Pfffft.

And yet - it has raised interest?

Head over to the LivingTV forums for Most Haunted and you will see it in full effect! :)

People over there are happy to believe that everything they are seeing is really and therefore everything they believe in and have experianced is now also true.

15 People paying £50 each to walk around a public place while being told ghost stories means 1 person is £750 for a few hours work! Not bad, might look into something like that myself!

I've always been amazed that people see images on the webcams, "I see a man in his 60's with a black collie smoking a woodbine" - thats the man smoking the woodbine, not the dog! It's called pixellisation- d'oh. and I do love the psychic art- Tony Hart (god rest his soul) would love it.

Another Stockport based board member here!!!!

These Ghost Walks sound pretty good. I might go on the next one.

Kazza34 said:
Totally agree with you. Ghost hunting has become big business and I feel progammes such as Most Haunted effect have been detrimental to the bona fide research into ghosts.

Re that shite - I've only watched it once or twice - the last time being definitely confirmed as the last time on watching Acorah camp it up in a nightclub/pub up the road in Manchester (Brannigans, I think), his risible theatrics being punctuated by a squealed "where's me legs...where's me legs?". I mean, proximity to drinking emporia and a feeling of leglessness are not exactly mutually exclusive states of being are they, ferfooksake? Presumably he was channelling the spirit of some student who'd fatally dropped their chips after a night of chugging drinks that look like luminous toilet cleaner.

I have to admit though that I did go pale with an unnameable terror a few minutes later, and was almost converted, until I realised I'd sat on the remote and flipped channels and the vision of preternatural horror that was making my bowels void with fear was actually David Gest leering at the screen like some fat, orange, bipedal newt.

Re Stockport and ghosts - I remember one unnerving story from Stockport, quite well known in its day I think, (although when that day was I can't now remember), which involved a woman seeing a figure approaching her with lumps of flesh hanging off it, or maybe even dropping off, don't recall exactly. Does sound a little like someone might have wedged the doors of perception well and truly open with some particularly bad acid - but unnerving nevertheless.

Stockport, so good they named it once....Currently living in what Mark Steel described as "the entry-level Heaton", which feels resolutely un-haunted, despite Caroline Aherne's Mrs Merton having been based here. You'd think Mrs M might haunt Belmont Street following the departure of her creator, but, alas, no...

Stockport, so good they named it once....Currently living in what Mark Steel described as "the entry-level Heaton", which feels resolutely un-haunted...

Granted, the supply seems somewhat scant (I'm not in Stockport, but not so far away).

But wasn't there recently a story in FT (possibly in something by Rob Gandy) about a phantom hitchhiker in Stockport? I seem to recall that it took place bang smack in the middle of town, on the A6, right by Mersey Square. Or did I make that bit up?

i assume it was a typo that you corrected but .. decall ... i think youve coined a useful term there ...

i assume it was a typo that you corrected but .. decall ... i think youve coined a useful term there ...

Yup.

Decall: verb. To deliberately erase from one's memory an embarrassing moment from the past after it has been recalled.

Back