• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghostly Georgia

A

Anonymous

[Emp edit: I have done a touch of merging and made this a general thread for Forteana in Georgia.

Other specific Georgia-related threads:

The Georgia Guidestones
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18833

Green UFO Over the Straight of Georgia
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18178

Georgia Bridge Jumper Craze
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16124

666, the Passion of Christ and Rome, Georgia
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867

Georgia Haunt Hunters/Local Ghost Hunters
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5091

As you were:]

Spooky Savannah, Georgia

Ghosts, ghost walks, cemeteries, voodoo, murders, pirates, infrasound, a Fortean treasure trove in Savannah, Georgia.

"Savannah is probably one of 10 cities in the country that has a long track record of parapsychologists, demonologists and witches studying it"

:D

Also one of the only, if not the only southern city that wasn't burned during the War between the States, and so extremely beautiful in design. I mean to go there someday.

This is really long. Sorry. I was trying to use the internet to see if a Savannah haunting was true or not and this is what I found.

Haunted History did a show on Haunted Havannah. One of the stories was a tale of matricide, so seemed sensational enough that it would have been a very big story in its day. The Forsyth Park Inn owners claimed that Lottie Churchill lived in the Forsyth Park Mansion with her aunt and uncle but didn’t know who her true mother was. When she was 14, Lottie’s mother came to visit but Lottie was kept ignorant of their true relationship. When Lottie saw her mother and uncle in an intimate embrace she was afraid that this stranger was going to break up her happy home. She spiked her mother’s tea with poison and killed her. As the woman died, Lottie’s aunt said “Lottie, this woman who is dying is your real mother.” Consumed by guilt and remorse, Lottie spent the end of her life in an asylum.

Per Internet sources:
Lottie Churchill was born in 1885, the oldest of six children of Norman Churchill and Annie Tedford. Annie did die in 1898 when was Lottie was 13. There is a group photo of the children, so Lottie appears to have known who her real family was. Geneology with photos:
http://www.marthachurchill.com/family/ch-Will.htm

Lottie did live with her uncle Aaron Flint Churchill and his wife Lois Churchill according to this questionable ghost hunters site:
http://www.alanhatfield.com/Churchhillmansion.htm

Lottie’s uncle and aunt had no children of their own and her relationship to her aunt and uncle was apparently so close, that they may have left some of their property to her.
http://www.yarmouthheritage.org/pages/munprop/churchma.htm

Lottie was also close enough to her Uncle to have acted as a “daughter” at his funeral. Quote: “Capt. Churchill received public recognition from the authorities for his great assistance rendered to victims of the 1917 Halifax Explosion. Three years later, Aaron Flint Churchill, was to die in Savannah, and appropriately, his body, accompanied by his widow and his niece, Miss Lotta Churchill, aged 35, was shipped on The Prince Arthur from Boston to his home in Yarmouth, for its final anchorage.”
http://www.yarmouth.org/villages/darling/

Lottie married a man named Armand Rainey and she lived until 1971 (age 86). She only spent the last few years of her life in a home for the insane. Quoted from this site “Capt. Aaron Churchill's wife, Lois, owned this property from 1905 to 1927, when she sold it to her niece, Lotta Rainey. There are also many stories about Lotta, who spent the last few years of her life in a home for the insane.”
http://www.westerncounties.ca/yarmouthheritage/pages/munprop/zacheus.htm

Conclusions? Lottie married well and lived a long life. This does not paint the picture of a girl “caught out” in murder or a girl who felt immediate remorse. The internet doesn’t seem to have any stories about Lottie committing matricide. I don’t know why Yarmouth has a lot of tales about Lottie or if any of them have to do with late life confessions. The only way to find out would be to write to some friendly soul in the Yarmouth historical society and see if any of it is true.

Thanks to geneologists and historical societies, the internet provided some good leads, but in the end some kind of contact seems to be necessary to complete the story. :(

A great little site on Haunted Savannah:

http://www.hauntingstour.com/savsup.htm

Here's part of it:

Savannah's ghosts have connections to history that stretch far beyond the boundaries of this sleepy coastal city. The story goes that when Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Low's mother, Nellie Gordon, died February 22, 1917, the ghost of her husband, General William Gordon, was seen by one of the daughters-in-law waiting in a room next to the room where Nellie lay with her five living children. A servant reported seeing the man as well.

The Gordon children reported "that when she died, her face took on the radiance of a bride, going to meet her bridegroom.," according to her biography, Lady From Savannah, written by niece Daisy Gordon Lawrence with Gladys Denny Shultz. Mary Stewart Gordon Platt wrote that the servant who sighted the general said the general appeared well and happy. "I thought you lake to know de General come fetch her hisself, suh," the servant is reported to have commented.

However, according to reports, the general may not have actually taken Nellie Gordon completely away. There have been reports she is still walking the old Gordon home. Objects disappear and reapper in plain sight. Savannah Spectres quotes the home's maintenance man saying he frequently caught glimpses of a Nellie "wearing a long blue robe, with flowers all over it," sitting at the breakfast table when he would arrive early in the mornings. The faint sounds of a pianoforte, such as Mrs. Gordon loved and played, have been reported as well.

Read about some ghostly tales from my home Peach state of Georgia that I thought I'd share here....

The Hampton Lillibridge House
This house, one of the few to survive the great fire of 1820, was moved to its present address by antique dealer Jim Williams who later was tried three times for the murder of an associate and has gained a sort of immorality from the long-running bestseller, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

With its gambrel roof and clean New England lines this house built by Rhode Islander Hampton Lillibridge looks at home near the sea but a bit out of place in the south. The house has been the center of many stories including the tradition that a sailor hung himself in one of the rooms during a period when the place was a boarding house. When Williams restored the house in the 1960's, he moved it to St. Julian Street from its original location and a worker was killed when a neighboring house collapsed. Workmen and Williams friends and neighbors reported strange happenings and an exorcism was performed by a bishop of the Episcopal dicocese of Savannah on Dec. 7, 1963
http://www.hauntingstour.com/hamplilb.htm

Ebo Landing
The murky, haunted waters of Ebo Landing are where a group of West African slaves chose mass drowning rather than submit to a life of slavery. In May of 1803, a group of Igbo (the "g" is silent) tribesmen, captured in Igboland (now Nigeria), rebelled as their boat neared the shore in Dunbar Creek, a tributary of the Frederica River. The story goes that led by an Igbo chieftain, the proud tribesmen resolutely marched into Dunbar Creek, chanting an Igbo hymn, and trusting their God Chukwu instead of submitting to slavery in the New World. Survivors were taken to Cannon's Point Plantation, where the story was recounted and passed down to become a well-known legend. Some say that on quiet nights, the ghosts can be heard chanting in the marsh.
http://sherpaguides.com/georgia/coast/southern_coast/st_simons_northern_half.html

Haunted Hunting Grounds
HAUNTED HUNTING GROUNDS,SEWELL'S WOODS,MARIETTA GEORGIA
These woods became known as 'haunted hunting grounds',in the 1920's because of the unexplained behavior and subsequece disapperance of many hound dogs . Packs of dogs would take off on the sent of a possum or fox and never be seen again. Finally hunters discovered that their dogs were heading for an old family cemetery hidden under blackberry bushes on a secluded hilltop, deep in the woods.Witnesses said the dogs converged on one particular grave,as if they had treed a possum, then all the dogs were thrown through the air by some invisible force. The dogs would take off running and never be seen aggain.
http://www.paranormalmysteries.com/viewpost_89068.asp

I'm originally from Georgia too! And its good to see a thread started on the subject.

This page lists a great many haunted Georgia sites, some of which I have visited. I've been to the Hay House, and have had no unusual experiences there, though stories about its ghosts are pretty well known around the Macon area, and I've spoken to a lot of people who claim to have seen or heard strange things in the Hay House (a gorgeous house, by the way, and well worth a visit, ghosts or no ghosts.). I also used to frequent the Masqerade in my younger days and did have one freaky experience in the bathrooms near the stage in Heaven.

I hope to post to this thread more when I have a little more time.

Gathering shows proof of interest in paranormal

Sunday, March 20, 2005
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

GETTYSBURG - Eric Altman has spent the last 24 years of his life trying to track down Bigfoot.

Yes, that Bigfoot, a.k.a. Sasquatch, Yeti, the Skunk Ape, Yeren or Yowie.

Altman simply refers to him -- or her -- as "a large, upright, hair-covered primate." And he just knows he's out there, somewhere.

Maybe even in one of Pennsylvania's forests.

"We get calls about sightings all the time," said Altman, co-founder of the Pennsylvania Bigfoot Society in Jeanette.

As it turns out, our state is a hotbed of close encounters of all kinds -- ghosts, UFOs, monsters and, of course, Bigfoots.

These alarming facts were revealed at yesterday's fourth annual Pennsylvania Paranormal Conference in Gettysburg.

The event attracted about 100 people, all willing to plunk down the $90 registration fee, plus the cost of a hotel room, to listen to a day's worth of spooky stories.

They came from all over -- Pennsylvania and its surrounding states and some as far away as Georgia and Kentucky.

Not all are believers, but most seemed open to the possibility that we are not alone.

Or, as Bill McEwen of Lawton, Susquehanna County, put it: "They can't all be crazy."

McEwen related his eerie tale of a disappearing rabbit.

It happened while he and a friend were hunting small game. Both drew a bead on the same bunny and fired. Just like that it was gone.

"Poof, it just totally disappeared," McEwen said. He hastily added, "And we weren't drinking. It was a ghost rabbit."

If there's a universal trait among true believers, it's that they're passionate about the paranormal.

Frank Feschino's eyes grow as wide as saucers when he talks about the misnamed Flatwoods Monster of West Virginia.

It really wasn't a monster, or as Feschino put it, a biological entity.

It was a UFO probe that a bad sketch artist and a shaken housewife turned into a monster dressed in monk's clothing, with a blood-red face, claw-like hands and an ace-of-spades cowl.

That description could also fit a rocket-like UFO, Feschino says. The cowl could be a helmet; the flared monk's robe, a propulsion system; and the claws, possibly antennas.

After 15 years of research, Feschino says he's pieced together the flight paths of three UFOs that streaked the skies above Washington, D.C., and 11 northeastern states, including Pennsylvania, on Sept. 12, 1952.

Several sightings were made at the former Olmsted Air Force base in Lower Swatara Twp. And there are headlines from dozens of old newspapers, all talking of "lights in the skies."

"It was a craft, a probe, that came out of a larger craft," Feschino said of the Flatwoods incident. "They were checking out the Washington area."

In the end, however, the U.S. government chalked it up as a meteor shower.

And that's the rub. Even the most ardent believer will admit that absolute proof of these phenomena remains elusive.

One man's UFO crashing into a Carbondale pond in 1974 is another's railroad lantern at the bottom of the pond.

That's why they keep looking.

Like Fox Mulder on "The X-Files" or Kolchak on "The Night Stalker," they go on documenting the cases. They even hold academic-style seminars like yesterday's to share what they've uncovered.

It's why Altman keeps answering the phone at the Bigfoot Society. He takes down sighting reports, reviews photos of purported tracks and even makes 15 or more field trips each year -- all of it detailed in quarterly newsletters.

But what would he really do if he ever came face to face with the big guy?

"That's a hard question," Altman said, a table full of plaster footprint casts before him. "I'd like to think I'd get a picture or a video, but I don't know."

Then his wife, Kathy, looked up from her knitting and shot her husband a skeptical look.

"He'd probably invite Bigfoot to dinner," she said.

Eric Altman didn't disagree.

Source

Updated: 20 Mar 2005 - 12:28:34 AM

Write a letter to the Editor

Paranormal investigators discuss the ‘Shadows Among Us’

Author: JP Wilson
Publication Date: 2005-03-20

AMERICUS — It is 6 p.m. in Andersonville and behind the Pennington St. James Church is a small cemetery. Two people stand over the graves, taking photos with digital cameras, wondering what will appear after the camera's flash creates an image. One of the individuals, Tom Hebert, notices a particular grave in the cemetery with a hole in the headstone. The grave is where a couple who died in the 1800s is laid to rest.

Walking over to the spot, he snaps a photo of the hole. Immediately after this, his energy seems to plummet, and he feels drained. Something seems wrong.

Tom turns his head and notices a black grave behind the one he just photographed. Suddenly a pungent odor appears in the air; it smells like death. Tom looks over at his wife Margaret, and asks her if she smells anything. She doesn't, but she feels that something is not right. Tom tells his wife, "We’ve got to get out of here … ”

The couple, members of the Georgia Paranormal Research Council (GPRC), have had many experiences with the supernatural since they moved to Georgia. In their new book, "Shadows Among Us," they discuss the supernatural and include photographs and stories of many of their expeditions.

After the Heberts left the small cemetery that night, they still felt as if something was not right. Tom felt a sharp chill crawl up his spine and his hair stood on end. Margaret’s right foot started going numb. As they reached their vehicle, Margaret looked up and saw a figure in front of the old Post Office. She could tell that the person, if it was a person, was wearing a black cowboy hat and black coat down to his ankles, clothing reminiscent of a time period long since passed. She couldn't make out his features because it was dark, but the clothing was evident. As Margaret looked away to grab her camera, the person or thing looked directly at Tom. Margaret pulled out her digital camera and snapped a photo. When she looked up, the individual was gone.

The photo was completely black with the exception of a small red light, spherically shaped, in the center … where the person she saw should have been. The couple said those eerie feelings did not leave them until they were halfway home, approximately five miles away from Andersonville.

Tom and Margaret Hebert said they decided to write "Shadows Among Us" because "we want to try and give people a better understanding of the unknown." Margaret said that the two do are just beginning their education into the paranormal as members of GPRC.

The Heberts, originally from Michigan, moved to Americus several years ago from Florida. In August 2002, their cousins, Molly Reiser and Bev Pasden, came to spend a couple of days with them. Having heard about the ghost tales at Andersonville, the group decided to go on a ghost hunt. The photos they took were haunting. One particular photo, taken inside the Andersonville Stockade, was puzzling. The ground in the photograph was greenish in color. However, when the picture was taken, the ground was red with clay, not green with grass. Also, there appeared to be a horse's hoof. "If this is the case," said the Heberts on their website, "then where is the rest of the horse? This has us puzzled; there was nothing there when the picture was taken."

Shortly after their expedition, the couple established contact with Rudy Adams, president and CEO of GRPC, who asked them to join the group.

"It's an ongoing educational course on the paranormal," said Margaret. "You start off with the apprentice course, which only allows you to investigate historic places and cemeteries. We took the first course, passed it and became certified apprentice investigators two years ago."

The couple then started on their next step, the journeyman. This step is more advanced, because journeymen are authorized to investigate any paranormal event, excluding a malevolent spirit or malevolent spirit complaint. Both Tom and Margaret passed their journeyman course with flying colors and received certificates on Halloween weekend 2004. Now, they have to do two years of field investigation to apply for their master status.

After a paranormal investigator receives his/her master status, two more years must be spent in the field before the individual can apply for the title of Instructor. Then, investigators receive classroom instruction, teach courses and supervise field investigations. When the GPRC feels that the investigator is ready, the ultimate status of instructor will be bestowed.

A year ago, the couple traveled to Florida for a ghost hunt at a cemetery in Crawfordville. "Before you went into a cemetery, you had to tell the spirits who you were and that you were only coming in to take pictures and not destroy anything," said Tom.

Tom produced a photo of the Crawfordville cemetery visit that was taken of him as he walked along the cemetery fence. To the right, on the other side of the fence is a spherically shaped ball of light (referred to as a spirit orb or ball).

"I was walking along the fence line and Rudy was behind me, and I got this chill that went right through me. I told Rudy there was something there, and he took this picture," Tom said.

Tom then began producing more photographs, showing the spirit orbs in all of them. One picture, shot in Andersonville at the Town Hall building, showed numerous orbs of various colors surrounding the building.

Another photo of Tom’s, shot in November 2003, showed him walking around Andersonville National Cemetery. His sweater, gray and black, appeared to be blue and white in the photo. His legs were also largely distorted, and his body appeared out of focus in comparison to the rest of the picture.

"I had people asking me," said Tom, "can you feel anything? Does it feel like there is anyone inside of you? I said 'no.'"

The spirit orbs in the photos, said Margaret, "are actually energy in the spirits. You can see the energy in them when you look at them."

Other photos, depicting strange lights, not spherical in shape, were produced as well. "These are called ectoplasm, spirits trying to form."

The best time for taking photos of spirits, said Tom, is between the hours of 3 and 5 a.m. when it's really cold. Having a full moon also produces good photos. Margaret added that cold fronts are a sign of a spirit’s presence as well. “Some people,” said Tom, “are extremely sensitive to spirits and know when one is around immediately.” He said that spirits were usually attracted to people classified as sensitive and that spirits feed off of batteries and other energy sources in the area. These sensitive people usually know when a spirit is around because they feel a sudden cold chill.

Tom said that when a person is feeling tired or exhausted, that could be because a spirit is draining that person's energy. Margaret discussed the time the couple had visited Oglethorpe Cemetery. "We were so exhausted," said Margaret, "that we couldn't hardly move for two weeks. We couldn't even look at our photos."

The couple's land also has a bit of history, having once been a part of farmland. A woman who had lived to be 103 years old had died across the street. After obtaining permission to take photographs of the dilapidated house, the Heberts walked to the front of the house and immediately felt as if they were being watched. A photograph of the carport produced a blur in the picture that resembled a silhouette of a person.

Tom then produced another photo that is included in the book “Shadows Among Us.” “We take pictures of our dogs too,” he said. He put a finger on the photo, stared at it momentarily and looked up. “Tell me, what color is this dog’s eyes?”

The eyes were a neon blue, and the photo of the dog had been taken at their house.

Two headstones are also in the couple’s yard. One is of a World War I veteran. “We had the police out,” said Tom, “because we didn’t understand why anyone would put a government issued headstone in the backyard. So they checked into it and said the veteran was buried in a cemetery in town. I asked them, ‘then what’s this headstone doing here? It doesn’t make any sense.’”

The couple also found that an old house formerly on the property was where a three-year-old girl had burned to death. “There’s a headstone here,” said Tom, “that has a three-year-old girl’s name on it. The police said that the girl’s name on this headstone was spelled wrong and that she was buried at a Baptist church. I asked again, ‘why would this be here?’ Then I asked them if they were going to dig the ground up. They said, ‘no.’”

One of the most interesting of the 3,000 to 4,000 photos the couple have taken of the paranormal occurred in their backyard one afternoon at 3 p.m. This picture is on the cover of their book. IMargaret said she had felt something drawing her outside to the backyard that day. She said she took her camera, almost as if in a trance, and walked out back, stopping in a spot behind the pole barn. She pointed the camera, aiming at nothing in particular and snapped a photograph.

The photo, however, appeared to be shot at night, not day. Margaret said she took the photo to Rudy. After he analyzed the picture, “Rudy said that it was a djinn, an alien creature standing in front of the camera,” she said. Margaret said it was clear to her that the two circles in the pictures were eyes. In the center of one of the eyes is a light. “Rudy said the light in the center was the reflection of the camera’s flash in the djinn’s eye.”

Another piece of equipment that picks up a spirit’s presence, said Margaret is a tape recorder because “you get EVP’s (Electric Voice Phenomenon).” During a Halloween weekend ghost hunt, the Heberts and other investigators in the Shadows Among Us Paranormal investigation group went to an Oglethorpe cemetery in Macon County. “We went to the old cemetery in Oglethorpe where a murderer is buried ... This man was a very evil man. He jumped a person and killed him. They hanged him and buried him in the cemetery. Before he died, he told everyone he didn’t want to be buried East and West, but North and South, against the world. We went to the cemetery and Rudy took an EVP. He called me over and said, ‘Margaret come over here and listen to this.’ He turned the recorder on and you could clearly hear something say ‘Margaret.’ Rudy asked me if I wanted to go sit down on the bench and talk to the murderer, and I said, ‘No way.’”

The couple returned to the cemetery the next night. Another EVP was taken and Margaret began asking questions, such as “who are you” and “what do you want?”

“When we played the tape back it was very static, but you can hear something saying, ‘no,’ in response to my questions.”

Tom said that when he was in the Oglethorpe Cemetery, walking around, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to Rudy and said, “Don’t touch me.” Tom, seeing Rudy 50 feet away from him, realized that the investigator couldn’t have touched him. “It would have been impossible for him to have done that,” Tom said.

These are only a few of the many encounters with the supernatural the Heberts have had since becoming paranormal investigators. They are currently regional directors of the GPRC for the state of Georgia. If anyone is interested in becoming an apprentice with the “Shadows Among Us” paranormal investigation team, they can contact the Heberts at their website www.shadowsamongus.com

In order to become an apprentice, individuals must have an interest in the paranormal. If anyone is interested in obtaining the Hebert’s book, “Shadows Among Us,” visit the website www.shadowsamongus.com

Source

LINK
Top Haunted Spots
By Citysearch Editors, Atlanta

Do you live near a ghost? Hear strange noises at night? Our brave editors explore the spookiest places in your neighborhood.

The Top 7

Masquerade
695 North Ave NE, Atlanta, GA
Some say that among the mortal night-creatures that come out to this often-mischievous club is a resident vampire.

New American Shakespeare Tavern
499 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA
Legend has it that an entire cast of ghosts can be seen throughout the theatre.

Anthony's
3109 Piedmont Rd, Atlanta, GA
Some say that this restaurant not only boasts high-class food, but also high-class ghost indicators: flying dishes, cold spots, strange voices and glowing orbs.

HiFi Buys Amphitheatre
2002 Lakewood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA
Local folklore tells that the spirit of a rock singer who was gunned down during a concert still roams through the audience.

The Fox Theatre
660 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA
Some say they have seen the face of a Confederate soldier peering through this historic theater's windows.

Donaldson House
4831 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd, Atlanta, GA
Legend has it that the house's current owners feel that a male spirit living among them oversees the general upkeep of the property and once protected them from a tornado.

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
900 Kennesaw Mountain Dr NW, Kennesaw, GA
There are rumors you can hear cannon fire and catch apparitions of soldiers at the site of a major Civil War battle.

Back