• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts on TV programmes

realspooky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hello to the FTMB

I've always been fascinated by the appearence of a ghost on a television program (still pictures I have only ever found in ghost books, most of them from many years ago).
The fact is, has anyone experienced, or heard of, a sighting on a television programme that has seriously made them 'jump'. There is never anything in the papers about it (never known there to be, and would it be made public anyway?). The only thing I can ever remember seeing on TV is on that Three men and a.... movie, when Ted Dansons card board cutout is seen in the background on one seen, and is mistaken for a ghoul. What a farce that caused.....

So, anyone like to contribute??? Any sighting on television, new or old???

I remember reading in an Arthur C. Clarke book ('World of Strange Powers'?) about viewers ringing in to a UK TV station, saying that they'd seen a ghost in the background during a programme, but when the film was examined, it was discovered to be a pattern in some brickwork...

I remember watching a program on Bravo channel a couple of years ago, it was called 'most amazing ghost videos' or something.

There were a few eerie pieces of footage, one was where an australian rock band were making a video very early morning at a deserted old building in the middle of nowhere and there was a figure in the background. The program had other strange footage of poltergeist avtivity and strange phenomenon, a lot of whick could really have been faked or just natural phenomenon.

This program is not to be confused with a similarly titled program on bravo channel which was just faked computer generated animations which seemed to show statues moving.

Chris, I've seen both progs, and the first one you mentioned was quite eerie! Funny thing is, none of the clips shown crop up anywhere else as far as I know so it's still probably suspect.
:(

I've just been given a camcorder on permanent loan so will be filming like mad around and 'haunted' locations I can find.

'Ware, my freind, of the effect known as orbs! That way leads to dismissal of any credibility and a bit-part on Most Haunted!

And we wouldn't want that now, would we?

I took some digital pics deep underground where the air is believed to be pure and as dust-free as is possible, and just one featured 'orbs'. So it seems to me that they are less likely to be dust specks than artefacts of the technology itself.

Wish I could believe they were real spooks! ;)

Hmmm… not sure if I’ve posted this before on a different thread… well I think I have… but in short:

I’m not sure if this was on the program itself but we caught the image of what looked to be Jesus while taping a Paul Simon (think it was for my mum) gig on TV ages ago. While watching the video there was a very clear face, with the beard and full Jesus look smack bang in the middle of the screen (taking up most of the picture). It almost looked like the Turine Shroud what with it looking like a flat impression. But after viewing the video several time the image faded and vanished.

I say it was Jesus but none of us are religious and subsequently found it quite amusing just how much it looked like the stereotypical J.

Not sure if it was a ghost… or on TV… but it’s close. :)

MX

I've been thinking about this... Don't digital photography and videotape capture less of the light-spectrum than traditional film? In my opinion, I've yet to see an alleged 'ghost' image captured by electro-magnetic means that ranks alongside the classic photographs, merely lots of 'orbs'. If 'ghosts' inhabit parts of the light-spectrum that aren't easily recorded by VT and digital cameras, that might explain the lack of impressive images - just a thought... :confused:

In that case, there should be more ghostly images on old ("proper") film - can't recall seeing any, but no doubt someone will post a zillion examples ;)

Also, if ghosts resonate at a particular frequency in the visible spectrum then they should be that colour :)

Jane.

I'm fully expecting my lack of knowledge in this field to be exposed at any moment, but while I'm wandering down this particular path... ;)
I recall reading that when some classic 'ghost' photographs were taken, nothing untoward was seen by the person operating the camera, the image only showing up when the film had been developed and, even then, only on one frame of the film. If cinefilm was to capture such images in the same way, it wouldn't be surprising that nothing was noticed when the film was played back, given that the ghostly image might only have occurred on one or a couple of frames... As for the colour of 'ghosts', the best images I know are in black and white, so that doesn't help us much! :D

Motion picture film stock is thrown at 24 or 25 frames ps, this is conciously noticable if a change is made on one frame (1 25th sec). Video is usually 30 frames ps (containing 2 fileds per frame). So you would notice an object in one frame *If you were watching properly without blinking at the apropriate frameage! lol*
I noticed an "anomaly" on 1 30th of a sec frame in a natural history prog about spiders (Anglia Prod') and sent details to UFO magazine (UK) about ten years ago, and received a reply from Anthony Dodd saying he played the copy and also saw it but souldn't believe I had noticed it. It showed an object at the same focal distance of some trees, (about 100 metres away) with light/shade attributes similar of that to a reflective object still and hovering above the trees, with reflection and solidity, BUT ON ONLY ONE FRAME! No blurring.

I don't, incidentally, believe in ghosts etc.... but still, won't dismiss a decent argument or case.
As yet, I have to see one. Isn't Forteanism about not accepting either case? Some "Forteans accept the plausability of supernatural without incident but aren't scorned, but yet, others that do pour scorn, are shouted at for being "sceptics". Uh uh hu!

Si thi! ;)

I've seen and heard a few ghosts myself, which I've posted on this MB, the ones I 'saw' were more like they were being added to the scene as I observed them, if that makes sense, it's quite hard to explane it. the one I heard in cardiff castle as i was compileing the KiA and Mia lists for the welch regiment museum was like a voice wispering in my ear and actully gave me information that helped me to complete the lists that I would not have found without it, and the other one was 'poltergist activity' (I'm quite definate about this because shoe boxes do not normally hover over to a table then set themselves down on it).

So according to my experiences I would say out of the 3 types of 'activity' I've witnessed that only the poltergist activity would actullly be able to be captured on a camera.:imo:

spillage said:
I don't, incidentally, believe in ghosts etc.... but still, won't dismiss a decent argument or case.
As yet, I have to see one. Isn't Forteanism about not accepting either case? Some "Forteans accept the plausability of supernatural without incident but aren't scorned, but yet, others that do pour scorn, are shouted at for being "sceptics". Uh uh hu!

If we take Ghosts and UFOs both to be the observed phenomenon then I think both exist. If we start talking about spirits of the dead and alien spacecraft we just don't have the evidence to prove either. Of course if we knew UFOs were alien spacecrat then they would be IFOs...

Ghostwatch? Ha ha ha....

And I somehow knew the one and only Most haunted would get a mention!

The fact is, the only film I have ever seen of a 'possible' sighting on rolling film, is that of an interview outside a church I think it was, around 1968/9. It was boradcast on BBC, and involved 2 men stood in shot talking to each other. Viewers frantically called / wrote in to say they had seen a monk with a skeleton face stood between the two.

Now when i watched it, i couldnt see anything at all. neither can I see anything on the black and white photo I have in a book at home.

As with the image of christ on the video tape, could it have simply been a video reel anomoly?

realspooky said:
The fact is, the only film I have ever seen of a 'possible' sighting on rolling film, is that of an interview outside a church I think it was, around 1968/9. It was boradcast on BBC, and involved 2 men stood in shot talking to each other. Viewers frantically called / wrote in to say they had seen a monk with a skeleton face stood between the two.

Now when i watched it, i couldnt see anything at all. neither can I see anything on the black and white photo I have in a book at home.

As with the image of christ on the video tape, could it have simply been a video reel anomoly?

I think that this might well be the image that was referred to in the Arthur C. Clarke book, RealSpooky (see my earlier post) - is there any chance of you scanning it and posting it as an attachment? I'd love to see it!

Jack, I shall try and find the book and scan it in. I could never see anything as I said, not even in the brick work.
I shall post on here when done....
Anyone else any scanned ghost programme stills?....

Austen said:
If we take Ghosts and UFOs both to be the observed phenomenon then I think both exist. If we start talking about spirits of the dead and alien spacecraft we just don't have the evidence to prove either. Of course if we knew UFOs were alien spacecrat then they would be IFOs...

Austen, that is the crux of the matter. Whenever I say, "I saw a UFO" people think I'm saying "I saw an alien spacecraft." Obviously, these things are not the same. Yet popular culture has made them equivalent. It's very difficult to discuss these topics because a lot of time is spent defining terms. A friend asked me last weeks what I thought about extraterrestrial life and UFOs. My answer was: A) I believe in an infinite universe where all things are possible and all things exist. B) I believe that we live in a backwater solar system out towards the rim of our galaxy, far from the older core where life has had longer to develope. So yes, I think we chare the universe with lotsa intelligent life, and no, I don't think they've come calling.

Back to ghosts on TV....
Somewhere I saw a picture of an image of a hand on the screen of a TV, and you could see that the TV was unplugged. Creeped me out! Anyone else seen it? Might have been in Reader's Digest book of the unknown, or in an old Brad Steiger book.

That's the one. Something not quite right about that, ya know what I mean?

Of course, Dad was assembling toys at the time. Maybe someone just wanted to lend a hand....

yes, yes, I 'm leaving....quit shoving!

hedgewizard said:
That's the one. Something not quite right about that, ya know what I mean?

Of course, Dad was assembling toys at the time. Maybe someone just wanted to lend a hand....
#

We can't really tell if the TV is on or off on that photo. If the picture was taken with the typical flash setting of 1/30 sec that would be just long enought to capture a TV image. Like all of the photos on the sight there is too little information with the images to draw any conclusions. There are lots of "classic" pix on there, and a few rubbish "orb" photos.

There's a photo going around of 'a child's ghost' trapped in a TV screen, which I immediately recognised as being a character from the (great) children's TV series 'Round the Twist' - now there's a Fortean TV show...

entity mine

For the last five or six years I have kiddingly insisted that my best friend's house was inhabited by an Entity, called, oddly enough, the Entity. It was a shapeshifting poltergeist who hid objects, appeared to people in a variety of forms and was generaly blamed, all in fun, for anything odd that happened there.
When my friend bought the house next door, an uninhabitable wreck, he took me around the place. I became so uncomfortable there I thought I was having a panic attack.
In the most recent photos of my friend's old house, the building is almost totally obscured by puffy strands of white cottonlike stuff. Did we conjure up an Entity without trying??

Whistling Jack said:

Seems an interesting one. May very well beat the good old Ghoststudy.com (see other thread for argument on that one!)

Doesnt sound like you conjured up an entity Condreye, sounds like it was there already, lying low and waiting for your friend to settle himself?

I think we're veering off the subject here a bit though. Ghosts are always seen on a photograph, or on a switched off television etc, once again, in a photo.
There doesnt seem to be many reports of people seeing a ghost in the background of a set etc, on a tv programme, day or night, live or recorded, drama or chat show? Surely somewhere along the timeline someone would have reported something interesting?

Did any one see the "alien" captured on CCTV a few years ago. It was an amazing bit of film from Brighton or some other south coast own showind a sevenfoot being stalking around the streets. I'm not sure if I can find references, it was on ITV. Unfortunately (?) it was a hoax. It was an art student in a very good costume protesting about police cameras!

Still worth seing though!

Edit: Here is the story!

Bournemouth was the first town in Britain in which closed circuit television was installed in public places. In 1985, Bournemouth people welcomed it, but in the last few years some have begun to suspect that it is being used less for deterrence than for surveillance. One young man found that the cameras would swivel to follow him all the way to the shops and back, then rise to watch him in his flat. He investigated and discovered that, after 11 years, the government had still not issued any guidelines on the use of CCTV.

He might, like his neighbours, have simply drawn the curtains, made grumbling comparisons to 1984 and hoped the problem would go away, but he decided instead to get even. He set off down the Christchurch Road one night dressed as an eight-foot alien, equipped with latex tentacles and metal jaws. His friends secretly filmed him - and the cameras - from a balcony.

The cameras locked on as soon as he appeared. Within five minutes, two police cars skidded to a halt in front of him. The police got out, then realized there was nothing they could do but gawp. No crime had been committed, and no danger to the public was apparent. When the film the activists made appeared on Undercurrents - a direct action video newsreel - Bournemouth police became a national laughing stock. The cameras have stayed up, but they are a lot less frightening than before.

Austen said:
Did any one see the "alien" captured on CCTV a few years ago. It was an amazing bit of film from Brighton or some other south coast own showind a sevenfoot being stalking around the streets. I'm not sure if I can find references, it was on ITV. Unfortunately (?) it was a hoax. It was an art student in a very good costume protesting about police cameras!

Still worth seing though!

Memories of the film 'Signs' coming back here!

The 'ghostly' footage featuring the australian rock band and several ghostly figures lurking in some abandoned buildings as the camera goes past was also shown as part of a syndicated weekly series ( whose name escapes me ) in the US that covered all manner of strange phenomena. What set off alarms for me was the fact that virtually every bit of footage the show was purporting to be genuine examples of 'supernatural' activity as caught on film were also so obviously and pathetically fake as to defy description. My favorites were the 'terrifying' footage of Ogopogo which was quite clearly a few seconds of video of a beaver slapping it's tail on the surface of the water ( and shown in such extreme close-up that the video picture was made up of gigantic white and black pixels ) and the 'authentic' sasquatch footage that showed a lonely and disconsolate bigfoot rummaging through the refuse bins at a campsite and then sitting down at a park bench to seperate the garbage he had gathered. Most disturbing of all, however, was the fact that this particular sasquatch bore an uncanny resemblance to Greg Allman...now that's what I call terrifying!

ignatius said:
The 'ghostly' footage featuring the australian rock band and several ghostly figures lurking in some abandoned buildings as the camera goes past was also shown as part of a syndicated weekly series ( whose name escapes me ) in the US that covered all manner of strange phenomena. What set off alarms for me was the fact that virtually every bit of footage the show was purporting to be genuine examples of 'supernatural' activity as caught on film were also so obviously and pathetically fake as to defy description. My favorites were the 'terrifying' footage of Ogopogo which was quite clearly a few seconds of video of a beaver slapping it's tail on the surface of the water ( and shown in such extreme close-up that the video picture was made up of gigantic white and black pixels ) and the 'authentic' sasquatch footage that showed a lonely and disconsolate bigfoot rummaging through the refuse bins at a campsite and then sitting down at a park bench to seperate the garbage he had gathered. Most disturbing of all, however, was the fact that this particular sasquatch bore an uncanny resemblance to Greg Allman...now that's what I call terrifying!

Heartstopping stuff!!!
This rock band, what were they called, can you remember? Why was it such an obvious fake? Be interesting to see it, even if it is tosh. Was it during a live performace? A music video?
I'm intrigued.....

The rock band footage was quite eerie, its was filmed in the middle of nowhere at a very early hour in the morning and as the group walked along and the camera panned with them there was a figure leaning against a building in the background that was very humanlike.

It would be more likely to be natural phenomenan than a fake but I always have doubts where there is a motive for publicity. Rock band obviously want publicity for a video and this would be the perfect scam. It's like hotels saying they have ghosts when they also have a motive for publicity.

Actually, the footage of the rock band ( it was a portion of a music video ) was probably the only semi-decent bit of "actual" ghost footage that ever appeared on the show - shot on film ( wheras the majority of the others were strictly camcorder material ) and sufficiently grainly and blurry enough to cause one to have to squint to make out any details. I can remember wondering at the time why the "ghosts" couldn't have just been some people who wandered onto the set and just happened to walk into frame, and who weren't noticed until after the film had been developed. I had never heard of the band before or since, which raises the distinct possibility that the whole thing was a sham, concocted to create some publicity for an unknown band.

Back