• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ghosts R Us

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
My entire family have long known that paranormal activity has been centred around my sister. I shall regail you all with the complete story.

I'll tell you now, it's very long but I know that's how you like it ;)
I don't know why, as this is a paranormal forum but I feel I must say, all of the following is true and unexaggerated. I don't need to exaggerate the following.

The first house I ever lived in was in a place called Oxclose, which is in Washington, Tyne and Wear. The house was built upon part of an old coal mine. My sister, who is older than me, was around 7 yrs old when things began to happen.

She told my mother of a small girl who is dressed in a white dress with a blue sash, who often plays on the upstairs landing (the upstairs hall for our American guests). My mother didn't pay much attention. Then problems began with electronics in the house, the TV, lights, radio would pysically switch on. (Back then, things had big analog buttons). The most annoying thing was everytime somebody tried to boil a kettle full of water, the gas would physically be switched off leaving the water cold. Then, problems with the hot water supply started. The hot water began running cold. My sister told my mother that the little girl didn't like hot water and that she had been hurt by hot water falling onto her.

Events changed when my Auntie was babysitting one night. My sister had the habit of creeping downstairs after her bedtime to watch TV by sitting on the bottom of the stairs, and peeking around the brick pillar at the bottom. The staircase was an open plan one so anyone in the living room could see the staircase. My Auntie was quietly watching TV when she saw my sister walk down the stairs and hide behind the brick pillar. She even saw my sister peeking around the corner. She got up and walked to the bottom of the stairs. The head popped back behind the pillar and when my Aunties turned the corner, there was no-one there. She was convinced it was my sister because she had seen her white nighty. She went upstairs to check if my sister was asleep and sure enough she was, in her blue nighty. When my parents came home, my Auntie was sitting in a corner of the living room, on the floor staring at the staircase. She was white in the face and shaking. She refused to enter our house after that.

After that my parents both saw the little girl in the house. My mother was working at a local supermarket, night shift, stacking shelves with other young women. They were messing around with a Ouija(sp?) board and my mother didn't want to join in. However, a message asked her to "come to the window". She thought it was her friends messing with her and told them so. The message came through again so she walked over to the window and stood there. The massage said, "come to this window" and my mother understood that she was to sit at the board too. She joined in and this is where there is a gap. She has never fully told me what it said, but I understand that she talked to an elderly man but who then said he knew my sister and liked to play with her. I do know that later the same night when she was workinh with her firends, there was some activity, things moving and falling by themselves. My mother made me promise never to use a Ouija board.

Back at home, the events continued and it became something which was accepted. My mother joined a spiritualist church and dad just got on with it. We eventually moved to another home not too far away but it seems something followed us. My sister was now well on her way to puberty and things really began to come thick and fast. I heard voices coming through speakers, scribbles on the walls, things moved, the doll story I posted earlier. My cousins, me and my sister were playing hide and seek whilst visiting and my cousin and I hid in a large cupboard. When we were about to leave, I ran out and my cousin let out a scream. When I turnes, it was if she was being physically restrained. She was trying to run but nothing was happening. She suddenly broke free and accelerated into me causing us both to fall over. She ran to her parents and said something had grabbed her in the cupboard. They didn't believe her. My sister very calmly explained that there was an old man and a small boy this time who were playing too.

She has told me on many occassions about seeing a small blonde haired boy in this house. She said he is a nice boy but always looks sad. I have had an two experiences with what I presume to be the old man. The first happened around 10 years ago. I awoke from a noise of somebody walking across the upstairs landing. The boards are extremely noisy and are in fact damaged, so the noise is very loud. My door was ajar and I saw somebody standing outside my door. There were no lights on, the shape was a silhouette(sp, my spelling honestly!) against the street light coming in through a small window behind it. The shape was obviously human, male and solid looking. The problem was there were no men staying in the house. My father and mother had seperated. I watched as the shape came right up to the door and seemed to peer through. It then turnes and walked away, towards the other end of the landing until it was out of sight. Even now I get a horrible feeling when I think of it. I was already interested in the paranormal back then and decided to stay awake for the remainder of the night to prevent any of those, you were sleeping responses. When at last, my mother got up, I called to her and she came into the room. I told her what had happened and she didn't even try to tell me I was wrong, she simply told me "Don't be afraid of the dead ones, they can't hurt you"

The second encounter was around 7 years ago and was more violent. I was sleeping in a different room in the house and my sister as I had swapped bedrooms. Again, the floorboards woke me and I lay there listening. This time the door was shut. The steps stopped outside my door and what I can only describe as a kick happened. The door burst open and slammed into the wall leaving a dent in the plaster which is still there. I saw nothing and heard nothing more. Again, I stayed awake and I'm not ashamed to say had tears in my eyes.

Things seem to have calmed down. I have moved away and I don't hear any more reports, however, my sister and mother still attend spiritualist churchs, mediums and psychics. Whenever I visit my old house, I feel slightly uneasy walking down the stairs. It sounds silly but I feel as if somebody is going to shoot me in the back with a bow and arrow. I also feel very vulnerable at night. I live in Sweden now with my GF and rather worryingly she told me a few months ago that when she's brushing her teeth she expects to see a small girl standing behind her in the mirror. With long dark hair, a white dress and a blue sash.

So, lots for you there. Any questions, fire away. I'm happy to have private converstaions about any of this. I realise that all of this together seems alot. The thing is when it's happened over a period of 20 years it doesn't overwhelm you. Personally, after all of this, I am obviously very interested in the paranormal. However, I have no desire to experience any of these things again.

Hi Ringo ~ I'm interested in that last bit about your girlfriend describing what sounds like a ghost from your childhood. I've never experienced classic ghost/polt activity like you describe, but I had an imaginary protector as a child that was half panther/half human. I remember making this character up to look after me and I never thought of it as being real, but when my husband spent the night in my childhood home for the first time, he had a hypnagogic hallucination wherin a stylized black panther lunged, snarling out of a vortex directly at him. Scared him half to death. I'd for the most part forgotten about my panther buddy years earlier and it took me a couple of days to make the connection. This kind of (psychic closeness?) between partners fascinates me because it seems to be so common. Do you think your girlfriend is aware of an actual ghost that's still haunting you? Or sensitive to a memory of yours? Or something else?

Brr im glad ive got the lights on right now!

Hi Toe, I've told my girlfriend about all of this so maybe it's a suggestion I have placed in her memory. maybe we've watched The Ring too many times ;) I wouldn't like to think that there was something still with me now though. The thought creeps me out.

My GF and I have been together for many years and by now we can often predict what the other is thinking or we will suddenly ask a question which the other was busy formulating. We don't share any other wierdness but it seems that our thought patterns have grown similar.

I live in Sweden now with my GF and rather worryingly she told me a few months ago that when she's brushing her teeth she expects to see a small girl standing behind her in the mirror. With long dark hair, a white dress and a blue sash.

I saw the Ring 2 last night and this almost exact thing happened. And then there's the thing with the water.....

Not saying you're making it up, it just seems like a weird coincidence.

One might argue that horror films create the supernatural archetypes of our times just as folktales spread by word of mouth fulfilled this role in the past. My own belief is that all anomalous entities (including ghosts) are thought forms - or tulpas - created by our individual and collective unconscious. An entity which happens to resemble a fictional ghost from a horror film may be no less intrinsically "genuine" than a sighting of a black dog, headless horseman, phantom hitchhiker, man in black, or flying saucer. These are all powerful archetypes which were imagined into existence at some point in the past and have now become part of our shared cultural consciousness - one might term them "paranormal memes"

Think how many people started to report grayliens after the publication of Communion, or how many people saw flying saucers after Kenneth Arnold's sighting of a group of crescent-shaped craft (most likely actually a flight of geese) was misreported.

Graylien, that's an interesting point. Horror movies are modern day folktales. I am sure that I have been affected by watching horror movies. The early events in my life and later, exposure to horror movies will have amalgimated to produce my own version of what is scary and what I am afraid of, which is pretty much anything that goes bump in the night. I have a very vivid imagination and late at night, in the dark, reading the FT board, it can get pretty carried away.

Rainy, my GF and I have both seen the ring, not ring 2 (yet). However, I suppose if anybody was inclined to think they would see a little girl behind them in a mirror (itself a terrible horror cliche), it might be more common to expect to see a girl dressed in a dress and "victorian" clothes rather than a "modern" ghost with jeans and baseball cap? If I picture a dead little girl, not that I want to, she is wearing period costume.The victorian dress makes it seem more tragic to me but I agree that is all a bit of a cliche.

Back