• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GhostStudy.com: What Do You Make Of It?

Leaferne said:
That picture of a little girl with flying hair ("How to submit your chilling photos") always makes me think that the site is taking the piss anyway. *shrug*

I'm more scared of that than half the pics :(

Leaferne said:
The "small dark entity creeping across the floor" one is deliciously creepy at first glance, but I agree: looks like a bag to me. Of course the "penguin" is a jacket! :rolleyes: The 14-inch guy

Funnily enough I saw this as a child messing about on the floor on it's hand and knees sort of spread. Just shows you how our perceptions are very different.

I think alot of the stuff captured on the willard cam is simply either motion blur or mis-conception.

Althought dont mention that to Ghost Study, we'll get hung drawn and quartered.

'The Penguin' is the same object that is seen one desk along in '14" guy'. Couldn't they have moved the pictures so they weren't next to each other? :rolleyes:

Looked at the June pics last night and can't say that I am that impressed to be honest.

However, I was interested at Jims opening lines on the forum thread for the June pics. As far as I can tell he is saying that no-one is allowed to say anything negative about the photos. Surely the whole idea of the forum is that people can discuss the pictures and decide for themselves whether they are fake or not.

Regards

MF

misguidedfool said:
Looked at the June pics last night and can't say that I am that impressed to be honest.

However, I was interested at Jims opening lines on the forum thread for the June pics. As far as I can tell he is saying that no-one is allowed to say anything negative about the photos. Surely the whole idea of the forum is that people can discuss the pictures and decide for themselves whether they are fake or not.

Regards

MF

I cant work it out MS, Jim doesnt seem to want to look at the whole picture.
It occoured to me the other day, that maybe it could be personal reasons that make he believe everything he sees? Like maybe personal experiences in the supernatural or in life? The loss of someone maybe?
Not going to go into any detail, but you get the picture. Sorry if thats a bit too deep, but I just cant fatham this out.

Realspooky,

I think you might be right on this one. I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about Ouija Boards and how I had seen two programs that had proved them to be nothing but subconcious suggestion. She will have none of it. She insists that when she was in her early 20's, that she talked to satan on a board and the glass flew accross the room and smashed on the wall. None of my explanations as to how Derren Brown and Penn and Tellers investigations into Ouija boards had shown how they worked seemed to change her mind. (does that last sentence make sense, it doesn't read right to me - LOL). She is insistent that she first talked to a recently deceased friend and then satan. I didn't push it any further with her as she seemed to be quite upset and disturbed over it.

Like you say, Jim seems to have an unwavering belief that every strange event HAS to be paranormal in origin.

Regards

MF

And that belief is making it very difficult for others to express their views with him. Is he trying to force everyone on the GS site to become a permanent, un-wavering believer?

I'd say that with his attitude he is more likely to make people less likely to believe.

True. Think the prime example for that then I guess is this thread. Being comfronted by a character like him cant do much for you, especially if you wish to discuss the pro's and con's of the paranormal.
He's like a bad car salesman. Interesting to the gullible but irritating to the wise.

Everyone, go to the Ghoststudy forums now. Someone who has championed me on the forums has been banned!

For the record RACINGSNAKE is not me! I have no idea who it is.

I didn't even know someone had championed me until I got through the whole thread.

I really wish I hadn't posted that picture now - it's caused nothing but trouble.

Still, it's given us loads to talk about.

MF

I have just got home from work and read the posts that have been left on Ghoststudy in more detail. I get the impression that Jim now sees us as wanting to discredit him. He has as good as stated in one of his posts that he is monitoring us.

I think for the record we should state that we are NOT trying to discredit Ghoststudy or what Jim is trying to do. What we are or were questioning was what seems to be an unwavering belief that everything that is initially unexplainable is of supernatural origin. And questioning why people should be banned for expressing a difference of opinion.

YES, posting the monk picture WAS a mistake. In hindsight I regret it very much.

JIM, if you are monitoring this I apologise again for posting the monk. But you must see our point. Banning people for stating the truth or for having a different opinion is stifling the conversation, you are only doing yourself and your site damage in the long run.

I like the Ghoststudy site in general. Some months I think the pictures are very good. Other months I don't. What I don't do is believe that every unexplainable picture is a ghost. Like I have stated before, I am a believer that there is something out there. Certain things have happened in my life that I can't explain other than them being supernatural in origin.

I hope we can finally put this to bed now.

Regards

MF

:rolleyes:

I was going to post an essay about rational discussion, logical argument, and how productive it can be; as compared to irrational pram-emptying and unproductive insult-throwing. But I can't be bothered.

Some of the photos on that site are simulacra and misperceptions. Some of them may indeed be deliberate fakes. Blindly accepting all as nothing but paranormal entities attempting communication does nothing to banish the image of the 'fluffy woo-woo', as we were labelled by James Randi's lot.

Again, I find it amusing that, to Ghost Study, we are all hard faced sceptics who refuse to accept anything out of the ordinary; whereas to James Randi's site, we're a bunch of fluffy woo-woos who accept everything blindly without question. Amazing.

Of course, being a bit of both is what makes us Forteans. :D

That sounds right to me Helen. We aren't, overall, trying to impose a preconcieved notion of the Universe onto the facts.

Sadly, far too many ghost groups believe that anything odd is "paranormal". Clicks as timbers settle in old houses, or fireworks are "spirit raps", orbs are ghosts, psychics are real and always tell the truth, always get it right, etc.

FFS

I'm with MS on this one. I like looking as GS and the pictures, even though I don't always agree with Jim's explanation.

I hope he is monitoring us and that he can see from our discussions that there maybe other explanations for some of the photos.

I still believe in the supernatural, but not in photographs which can be tampered with so easily.

And Jim if you see this PLEASE alter the spelling on your archives link. It drives me nuts :D

If Jim wants to monitor us then so be it, but like MF says, he has to accept the fact that open discussion is better that rejecting all negative opinions.

Forgive me for saying this, but if your reading this Jim, why not sign up and face us all? Maybe this issue can then be put aside far easier.

*All hold hands and start singing*

'Come and join us, come and join us..'

Come, Jim, join the Dark Side.

Actually, True Believers are rather sad. They delude themselves into thinking that they're being objective, that they're being serious. All they do is discover things that reinforice their beliefs. Never anything that makes them question their beliefs. Jim is, in my opinion, as sorry a case as the Amazing Randi. Both ignore the facts in pursuit of their personal Grails. :(

This is rather a good photo. t'Other Half thinks it may be the shadow of the end of the staircase (you know, that big bannister bit with the knob on the end that the straight guy always whacks between his legs when he slides down the bannister?)

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...=ghost-snapped-at-welsh-castle-name_page.html

And this is quite amusing, although there are some holes in the story.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19270&item=2247607166&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I just didn't know where to put this link, so I thought I'd just stick it in here!

How lovely that all German combatants had "evil spirits". :rolleyes:

Asshole. Not you, Helen, the guy who posted the auction.

Yes. I thought it rather convenient.

Rather an inventive way of selling an old bayonet though. One wonders how much it would have gone for without the "Amytiville Bayonet" story attached.

Interesting story...too bad the scabbard belie it all. If it was an American bayonet, it would have American markings. Dutch marking imply it was part of the lend/lease program. Oh well. FOr the record, while the haunted blade went for $230, you can get your own for $20-40 from various dealers. Looks like Barnum's Dictum still holds.

Helen said:
Yes. I thought it rather convenient.

Rather an inventive way of selling an old bayonet though. One wonders how much it would have gone for without the "Amytiville Bayonet" story attached.

Would have probably attracted more interest and money from a serious collector of WW2 items.
With this tag though, I feel it's only a ghosthunter that would pay good money.

hedgewizard said:
Come, Jim, join the Dark Side.

Actually, True Believers are rather sad. They delude themselves into thinking that they're being objective, that they're being serious. All they do is discover things that reinforice their beliefs. Never anything that makes them question their beliefs. Jim is, in my opinion, as sorry a case as the Amazing Randi. Both ignore the facts in pursuit of their personal Grails. :(

Spot on. I believe this is more of a personal quest than we first believed.

From one moderator to another..

Jim..From your site:
And to those of you getting your jollies off examining our board on your board, you are only making the atmosphere of this type of community look childish and negative. Causing "board wars" and discrediting yourselves. GhostStudy takes pride in not allowing any bashing, quoting or ridicule of other paranormal sites in their forums.
Quite, as you will see from my missive a few pages back, making it abundantly clear that we don't condone deliberate misleading or trolling of other boards. However..
EDIT***We suggest someone remove the thread about GhostStudy immediately. How would you like it if we just posted the link for our large member base? (who you are making fun of in what seems your most popular thread )***
We're well aware of the attitude of some other boards towards us. And you're more than welcome to post the link - the majority of this thread is constructive discussion of photographs you've posted. I agree entirely that the sniping attitude of some posters on this thread is disrespectful to the beliefs and opinions of some of those on your board, and I will state now that any further declamatory remarks aimed at your posters or your site as a whole will result in immediate warnings.

However, we reserve the right to discuss the photographic content without prejudice - as they are posted publically with the intention of garnering photographic evidence of ghosts, surely you must expect some comment from outside your own domain? Hence, the thread stays.

Back